How to send IELTS to universities?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
ifeelcreative
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello
I sent my applications for law a few weeks ago and I got four conditional offers from University of Leicester, University of Essex, University of Lancaster and University of East Anglia. I included my IELTS TRF number in my application, however, in their acceptance letters, Leicester and Essex have asked me to obtain IELTS. Does anyone know why do I have to do that and how? Should I send a scanned copy of my TRF electronically or should I send a physical copy? Anyone facing the same issue?
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ifeelcreative)
Hello
I sent my applications for law a few weeks ago and I got four conditional offers from University of Leicester, University of Essex, University of Lancaster and University of East Anglia. I included my IELTS TRF number in my application, however, in their acceptance letters, Leicester and Essex have asked me to obtain IELTS. Does anyone know why do I have to do that and how? Should I send a scanned copy of my TRF electronically or should I send a physical copy? Anyone facing the same issue?
A scan is not sufficient since it can be easily faked, so you have to send the certificate per post to the university. You had the option to let IELTS send your results to 5 universities after taking your test (you could choose it durin your application)
laur21
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ask unis.
Jenn.
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hello
I sent mine by email and they didn't ask for anything else as they can easily verify your score with your TRF number. So, a scanned copy of your certificate should be fine.
oxymoronic
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hanover)
A scan is not sufficient since it can be easily faked, so you have to send the certificate per post to the university. You had the option to let IELTS send your results to 5 universities after taking your test (you could choose it durin your application)
Most things are done electronically now. The TRF can be used to verify the results direct with IELTS so in most cases a scanned copy of the original is sufficient. It saves someone in the office having to open the post, scan it in, store it electronically then dispose safely of the original paper copy. If you had thousands of paper copies of ielts, degree certs etc it could become a full time job in itself.
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Most things are done electronically now. The TRF can be used to verify the results direct with IELTS so in most cases a scanned copy of the original is sufficient. It saves someone in the office having to open the post, scan it in, store it electronically then dispose safely of the original paper copy. If you had thousands of paper copies of ielts, degree certs etc it could become a full time job in itself.
Well, most universities say that they want to have the original certificate of the IELTS results and a scan is oviously not original.
Jenn.
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hanover)
Well, most universities say that they want to have the original certificate of the IELTS results and a scan is oviously not original.
No, they want an authenticated copy, not the original. :closedeyes:
Don't you know you should never send original documents?

EDIT: I don't want to sound rude (sorry if it came across like that) but I just doubt they would ever ask for the original certificate. :erm: Plus, the OP was asking if he should send a physical copy or a scanned copy electronically. So, I guess he's not intending to send the original? :dontknow:
ifeelcreative
Rep:
I decided to contact the universities because I didn't find a clear answer online. I hope that they will respond soon enough!
Holmstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Let us know when you find out!
ifeelcreative
Rep:
Both universities have responded today and they have verified my IELTS results. They didn't specify why they were unable to do so before though
Holmstock
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Both universities have responded today and they have verified my IELTS results.
That's good

They didn't specify why they were unable to do so before though
So you did not need to send anything else, they just used your TRF number to confirm it?
ifeelcreative
Rep:
Didn't have to send anything. I don't know why they couldn't have done it from the beginning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holmstock
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Didn't have to send anything. I don't know why they couldn't have done it from the beginning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good to know. Perhaps the task of checking is done in one large batch? It is a shame you had to wait, but I'm glad you have your confirmation, anyway
bhoot
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Both universities have responded today and they have verified my IELTS results. They didn't specify why they were unable to do so before though
Where do you get ielts rfr number??
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by bhoot)
Where do you get ielts rfr number??
It's displayed on your final score report document. Either the PDF or paper copy.

When you receive the PDF of the score report, (not the test taker provisional results), just email a copy to your choices.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.25%
The paper was reasonable (264)
41.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.08%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.36%

Watched Threads