The Student Room Group

when did you start going to the gym

out of interest when did you start the gym weight training .As most of the guys on my rugby team do but i don't as i heard it stunts growth and to be fair most of the guys on the team are around 5,5-5,7 I'm 5,11-6,1 can't be sure

Also if your not interested in looking good just improving stamina whats the best way e.g swimming

Scroll to see replies

Actually, as a girl, I find most of the swimmers in my year far more attractive physically than the rugby players...but I know they do some strength and conditioning too.
If you're over 5'11 then you probably don't have to worry about stunting? Depends on your age obviously and if you're still fairly young, whether you've had your growth spurt or are still growing.
Reply 2
Reply 3
im 16
16, 5'5. Had already stopped growing.
I started going gym during my job to maintain myself.
Reply 6
It doesn't stunt your growth, google it and you'll see this question asked all over the internet and always answered the same.
Reply 7
Yes. I know a guy who has been squatting for 19 years, he used to be 6'5'' now he's 4'3'' but he is a TANK so it was worth it.
Reply 8
Got into fitness about 2 years ago

Started lifting 2 months ago

I'm 22 now and 5'9

I started doing it to lose weight but now I do it as a lifestyle and as a hobby kinda thing. Don't take it THAT seriously ATM
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 2ndClass
Yes. I know a guy who has been squatting for 19 years, he used to be 6'5'' now he's 4'3'' but he is a TANK so it was worth it.

4,3 woah
Around 16, but it was boring so I stuck with hardcore swimming instead which I still do.
Reply 11
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Around 16, but it was boring so I stuck with hardcore swimming instead which I still do.

i love swimming but the guys on the team enjoy talking about me being to fearful to try the gym :frown:
Reply 12
14, started at 5 foot 3
Now, 3 years later I am 5 foot 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
started going to the gym 5mins ago, lost all growth now im 4ft3
I used to be a respectable 5,11. Since joining the gym I have shrunk to a full on manlet at 5,7.
Original post by Padwas
I'm 5,11-6,1 can't be sure

Why can't you be sure?

if you buy a tape measure I reckon you could be sure
Reply 16
Original post by Padwas
out of interest when did you start the gym weight training .As most of the guys on my rugby team do but i don't as i heard it stunts growth and to be fair most of the guys on the team are around 5,5-5,7 I'm 5,11-6,1 can't be sure

Also if your not interested in looking good just improving stamina whats the best way e.g swimming

Dude don't believe the whole stunting your growth myth. It's not true. The only way it is possible to stunt your growth is to damage a growth plate and that wont happen if you're are training correctly with good form.
Original post by Padwas

mate, refer to
Appropriate strength-training programs have no apparent adverse effect on linear growth, growth plates, or the cardiovascular system,1,10,11,28,29
SOURCE: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/4/835.full.pdf+html

Original post by 2ndClass

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I used to be a respectable 5,11. Since joining the gym I have shrunk to a full on manlet at 5,7.

****ing hell, urinating myself/10.
Reply 18
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Why can't you be sure?

if you buy a tape measure I reckon you could be sure

funny :rolleyes:
I think you should join a gym or undergo a programme of 5 days weekly, in swimming, moderate weights training and skipping.

Quick Reply

Latest