Giovi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm putting together a reading list, to help expand my outlook and knowledge in areas such as politics, philosophy and economics, so can you recommend me three books to read please?

Thanks
Spoiler:
Show
sdasd
Giovi
Rep:
?
Anyone? No good books to read?
username878045
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Newspapers :yes:

Very Short Introductions

People also need to know what level you're at now to say precisely.
Giovi
Rep:
?
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Newspapers :yes:

Very Short Introductions

People also need to know what level you're at now to say precisely.
I read the observer and the times, the FT and the economist. I'm doing A levels and and well versed in history and economics, I've been interested in politics for two years now, watching the news regularly and competing in a debating team.
username878045
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Giovi)
I read the observer and the times, the FT and the economist. I'm doing A levels and and well versed in history and economics, I've been interested in politics for two years now, watching the news regularly and competing in a debating team.
Definitely Very Short Introductions, then.
Giovi
Rep:
?
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Definitely Very Short Introductions, then.
Thanks
looks good
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Giovi)
I'm putting together a reading list, to help expand my outlook and knowledge in areas such as politics, philosophy and economics, so can you recommend me three books to read please?

Thanks
Spoiler:
Show
sdasd
University reading lists are usually helpful in this regard, e.g. the attached document.

I would try, insofar as it's possible, to resist entering into and pursuing a particular orientation, methodology or whatever; try and read as widely as possible.

Two good introductions to contemporary analytic political philosophy, are: Kymlicka's Contemporary Political Philosophy, and Wolff's An Introduction to Political Philosophy. Within the analytic canon, I would also recommend John Rawls' lectures on moral and political philosophy, though these are more substantive than the two aforementioned, explicitly introductory books.
In terms of continental philosophy, I would recommend - if only for clarity of writing, although the works are brilliant in their own right - the work of Raymond Geuss (probably Philosophy and Real Politics), Sartre's Existentialism and Humanism (though if you don't want to buy the book, this lecture might suffice as a substitute), and some - though I don't know which - introductory work on Foucault.
I would also caution against being absorbed into orthodox (neoclassical) economics, and believing that this way of understanding economic relations is the only, true or best way of doing so; by way of antidote, read some political economy and, specifically, some Marx.
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh, and I would also strongly recommend this introductory text.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (664)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.58%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.39%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads