MEPS1996
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I understand that in anaerobic respiration in glycolysis NAD is replenished for further reduction by hydrogen by forming lactate or carbon dioxide. However, i do not understand how NAD is replenished in aerobic respiration. Does it not need to replenished as glycolysis occurs less frequently in aerobic respiration than anaerobic?
thanks
MEPS1996
Rep:
?
i actually meant forms either lactate or ethanol not carbon dioxide
MEPS1996
Rep:
?
Actually i think i may have worked this out myself. Is it that Glycolysis only needs to occur once then then the krebs cycle can continue over and over in a cycle, without needing glycolysis to occur again?
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP, what are you asking exactly?
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The H atoms are carried by NAD into ETC, where reduced NAD donates the electrons of the hydrogen atoms - if that's what you're asking. :lolwut:
WhamBamJam.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MEPS1996)
Actually i think i may have worked this out myself. Is it that Glycolysis only needs to occur once then then the krebs cycle can continue over and over in a cycle, without needing glycolysis to occur again?
No it all happens per one molecule of glucose. You end up with 2 molecules of pyruvate, and each one enters the krebs cycle from that original molecule of glucose. It doesn't happen quite as linearly as that though... the krebs cycle is continually turning from pyruvate which is building up from continual glycolysis etc etc.

In response to your original question, NAD must ALWAYS be replenished - cells never make more NAD so they must re-oxidise what they have or glycolysis can't continue as there will be nowhere for the electrons to go. The electron transport chain re-oxidises NAD in aerobic respiration because the electrons are given up by NAD to drive proton flow, right? And loss of electrons = oxidised etc etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads