Film and TV applicants 2014 Watch

EmTaylor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

I couldn't find any other thread for TV and Film Production BA courses that weren't attached to any particular uni, so here we are.

I've applied to Westminster, Bournemouth, UCLan and Manchester Met. So far I've got interviews from Westminster and Man Met and already have an offer for TV Production at Bournemouth.

Just want to see your thoughts on the unis and the courses
Jena116
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Finally, someone did it. I mean started this thread. Thanks

So I'll start Aberystwyth uni next year, Film & Television studies with English literature. Hope to find someone else applying there.
krakitt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I applied to film and television (or variations thereof) at Glasgow, Nottingham, Newcastle, York, and De Montfort. I've gotten conditional offers to Nottingham, Newcastle, and De Montfort and an unconditional to Glasgow still waiting to hear back from york. My top choices are Glasgow and York

Thank you for starting this thread!
blu95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've heard nothing from my choices yet, I sent off last Wednesday.

I applied for Bournemouth TV Production and I have my heart set on that course, I also applied for AUCB Film Production, Portsmouth Film and TV, Ravensbourne Digital Film and Westminister Film and TV.

Do you think its because I sent off pretty close to Xmas that im yet to hear anything? or did they take a while to respond to you? (BU)

I have an email stating my app is being processed but still no offer as of yet.
EmTaylor
Rep:
?
(Original post by blu95)

I applied for Bournemouth TV Production and I have my heart set on that course, I also applied for AUCB Film Production, Portsmouth Film and TV, Ravensbourne Digital Film and Westminister Film and TV.

Do you think its because I sent off pretty close to Xmas that im yet to hear anything? or did they take a while to respond to you? (BU)

If it's not been processed yet, then your universities don't have your application yet. You'll get emails through after Christmas saying that they have received your application. I sent my application off in October and only started to hear things recently, but that's because I was really early I guess. You should start to hear about interviews a few weeks after they have got your application
Fenn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blu95)

Mine only got processed on the 20th! I applied for Westminster for TV Production and Contemporary Media Practice, Bournemouth for TV Production, Salford for TV and Radio and UWE for Media Culture and Practice. I really only want to go to Westminster (But maybe Bournemouth). I don't expect to hear anything back before the new year though (which is annoying because some of my friends already have offers!). Good luck anyway!
ontheseashores
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!

I'm applying for Film and Television Production at York, Aberystwyth, AUB and Bristol. Mine got sent off last week, pretty exciting. My top choices are York and Aberystwyth!

Anyone know what they're putting in their portfolio for AUB? What did you guys put in your personal statements?

Good luck, guys! :badger:
EmTaylor
Rep:
?
Is anyone else having the problem of choosing between Westminster and Bournemouth? I already have an offer from Bournemouth for TV production, and an interview for Film and TV production. Both are great courses, I like the busy campus feel of bournemouth, but it's a 5 hour drive away from my house.. I'm really struggling
ryanev
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am hoping to study film/tv somewhere, I just don't know where!

What did you guys write about in your personal statements? My first draft is along the lines of how film makes me feel, how it can manipulate and create debates, my interest in how films are made and the affect actors, directors, the score etc can alter a movie's tone etc and where i want to end in a career in a few years.
EmTaylor
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanev)

What did you guys write about in your personal statements? My first draft is along the lines of how film makes me feel, how it can manipulate and create debates, my interest in how films are made and the affect actors, directors, the score etc can alter a movie's tone etc and where i want to end in a career in a few years.
I wrote about all my relevant experience in film making, and my hobbies: how they made me a better team player and how that benefitted film making.
blu95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmTaylor)
Is anyone else having the problem of choosing between Westminster and Bournemouth? I already have an offer from Bournemouth for TV production, and an interview for Film and TV production. Both are great courses, I like the busy campus feel of bournemouth, but it's a 5 hour drive away from my house.. I'm really struggling
Not at all, I live a 10 minute drive from Harrow campus (I live in Uxbridge) and I can tell you that in terms of area and nightlife it is ****e, if you want to do Film and dont care about that stuff then go for it, but if you like TV and would like a lively area then I do not reccomend Harrow at all.

Its on my list incase I decide not to move far and I would rather bus it to lectures, its my bottom choice though, BU all the way baby!
blu95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ryanev)

In my opening para, I spoke about what I believe film and TV is and what it does, how beautiful it is and what I love about it hense why im looking to study it.

Then I spoke about my experience and how I learn from the greats such as Stanley Kubrick. More about how powerful film and TV is by giving examples and name dropping, and then why studying at Uni would benefit me.

Finally I spoke about my interests relating to film and TV, which was writing, I named dropped some inspirations of mine and talked about the different bits of writing I have done.

And finally I spoke about my hobbies, which is Boxing and how I am very dedicated to it as a sport and lifestyle.

Thats pretty much it
KBradders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

I've applied to Bournemouth Uni (Television Production); AUB (Film Production); Wiltshire College, Salisbury (Film Production & Cinematography); Ravensbourne (Digital Film Production); and University of Lincoln (Media Production).

I already hold an offer for Lincoln (320 points), and Bournemouth (280 points). I have an interview at Ravensbourne on Thursday. I'm yet to hear from the other two.

I went to many open days, and I walked out on Hertfordshire (Film & Television) and Salford (Television & Radio) as I wasn't impressed. I did like Lincoln's course, but I was slightly disappointed with the fact that they couldn't stop talking about Bournemouth. I went to find out about Lincoln!

AUB, Bournemouth and Ravensbourne all stood out from the crowd to me, and it will be a tough decision to choose my final choice.

In my personal statement I mentioned: why I wanted to study the course; the films I have created in BTEC Media and how I pushed the boundaries of the course specification (I learnt Chroma Key, After Effects, and created singing severed heads using animation for the Music Video Unit), what I do outside of class time (teaching Photoshop, studying Film Art, events management, student ambassador, playing football for the college team, school TV, animation) and what I do outside of college (I am a presenter on a local radio station where I have also designed the new station logo, and my experience of 4Talent). To finish off I included why I wanted to go to University.

Remember to link all of your activities to the skills that will help you on your chosen course.
blu95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KBradders)
Hi

I've applied to Bournemouth Uni (Television Production); AUB (Film Production); Wiltshire College, Salisbury (Film Production & Cinematography); Ravensbourne (Digital Film Production); and University of Lincoln (Media Production).

I already hold an offer for Lincoln (320 points), and Bournemouth (280 points). I have an interview at Ravensbourne on Thursday. I'm yet to hear from the other two.

I went to many open days, and I walked out on Hertfordshire (Film & Television) and Salford (Television & Radio) as I wasn't impressed. I did like Lincoln's course, but I was slightly disappointed with the fact that they couldn't stop talking about Bournemouth. I went to find out about Lincoln!

AUB, Bournemouth and Ravensbourne all stood out from the crowd to me, and it will be a tough decision to choose my final choice.

In my personal statement I mentioned: why I wanted to study the course; the films I have created in BTEC Media and how I pushed the boundaries of the course specification (I learnt Chroma Key, After Effects, and created singing severed heads using animation for the Music Video Unit), what I do outside of class time (teaching Photoshop, studying Film Art, events management, student ambassador, playing football for the college team, school TV, animation) and what I do outside of college (I am a presenter on a local radio station where I have also designed the new station logo, and my experience of 4Talent). To finish off I included why I wanted to go to University.

Remember to link all of your activities to the skills that will help you on your chosen course.
Hi KBradders! so we have 3 choices which are the same, congrats on getting an offer from BU, I really want to go to BU its my top choice and I have my heart set on studying there. The fact you have been offered a place at Bournemouth worries me a bit! so I just wanted to find out whether it is down to you applying a lot earlier than me, considering I have heard nothing from them other than my login details etc.

My application was approved and sent by my referee on the 18th of December, and I assume offers are not given out over the Xmas period which followed shortly after it was sent, when did your application get sent off and how long did it take for them to respond? congrats on the offer again, im surprised by the small amount of UCAS points needed though.
KBradders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi blu95

My application got sent off on a Friday afternoon. Bournemouth sent me a confirmation email on the following Wednesday and an invite to interview later that same day.
My interview was on 18th December, the first interview day for the course. They told us it could be even Feb/March before we received offers. I was fortunate to receive my offer on track on 23rd December. I was horrified with how quick the offer came through, I seriously wasn't expecting it.

I could have received the 280 offer for a number of reasons, 320 is the standard offer generally. I already have a Dist* in BTEC Level 3 Sub-Diploma in IT (which isn't included in the offer), and then take into account the contextual factors (poor area + first in family to go to university).

I wouldn't panic though, your application will receive the same attention as everyone else who hits the 15th January deadline. There are definately more places for the February interviews. I hope this makes you feel a bit better and I hope you too will recieve an offer
Joanna121
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! My application got sent off around 3 weeks ago, applied for Sheffield Hallam Film and Media Production, Portsmouth Film and Television Production, Northumbria Media Production, Anglia Ruskin Film and Television Production and Leeds Met Filmmaking..

Got an email from shef saying that they have recieved my application and then one from anglia ruskin asking for me to submit a portfolio..
Not got any offers/interviews yet, slightly worrying hahahaha was just wondering if anyone has applied to the same courses and heard back yet?
GracieEmz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry. I sent mine off last month and I haven't heard much. I've applied for similar courses to you, but at Edge Hill, Teesside, Hertfordshire and Plymouth instead. The ones you have selected are pretty good though.
blu95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KBradders)
Hi blu95

My application got sent off on a Friday afternoon. Bournemouth sent me a confirmation email on the following Wednesday and an invite to interview later that same day.
My interview was on 18th December, the first interview day for the course. They told us it could be even Feb/March before we received offers. I was fortunate to receive my offer on track on 23rd December. I was horrified with how quick the offer came through, I seriously wasn't expecting it.

I could have received the 280 offer for a number of reasons, 320 is the standard offer generally. I already have a Dist* in BTEC Level 3 Sub-Diploma in IT (which isn't included in the offer), and then take into account the contextual factors (poor area + first in family to go to university).

I wouldn't panic though, your application will receive the same attention as everyone else who hits the 15th January deadline. There are definately more places for the February interviews. I hope this makes you feel a bit better and I hope you too will recieve an offer
Hey! I have an interview! need to select a date, I want to go on a friday so I can go out with friends who attend the Uni, but im concerned it may put me at a disadvantage, having an interview after many others.
ersanbeskardes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I applied for:

Arts Uni Bournemouth
Bournemouth University
Winchester
Westminster

Arst Uni Bournemouth is my first choice. Has anyone been to any interviews for these courses yet?
Fenn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blu95)
Hey! I have an interview! need to select a date, I want to go on a friday so I can go out with friends who attend the Uni, but im concerned it may put me at a disadvantage, having an interview after many others.
I'm going to the Friday interview also Does it put us at a disadvantage? I hope not anyway! Where else have you applied?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads