Your opinions on a level English language aqa

Watch
Randomer98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi
I'm picking my options and I am interested in taking English language. I'm doing quite well at gcse and it is quite likely I will get an a* (full marks in all controlled assessments, got 3 marks off an a* in the practice mock paper)
My questions are: 1) do you find it boring?
2)is it difficult? (I know all a levels are a step up but is it the subject amongst your choices that truly frustrates you?)
3)do you think you'll end up with an a/a* ?
4) I know this will vary from person to person, but do you get enough help from teachers/entitled to? (For example no CONTROLLED assessments?)
5) any warnings?
6)regrets?
7)is it very time consuming compared to other subjects? Specify which subjects? How much time do you spend on it in a week (coursework/homeworks/revision) outside of lesson?
8) I want to do dentistry, my other choices are bio chem and psychology. If you're doing something similar do you think I'm better off taking physics instead of English? I'm alright at it, and have been told I could get an A but I find it incredibly boring and do not need it for uni but it will help. But I'm currently finding English much more enjoyable and would like to strengthen my writing ability. Any suggestions?
Sorry for the long post, will greatly appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks
Randomer98
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Student_27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently studying English Language at A2 after studying it last year at AS. At GCSE I got a B in English Lang, which included an A/B in all of my controlled assessments. When I was choosing my A level options I always knew from the start that I wanted to study English Language and it was always a firm, definite choice.

It depends on which spec you do as to what sort of work you do ( I do spec B on AQA) but last year I really enjoyed studying it at AS. I loved the Creating Texts unit which was the coursework and it involved us having to write a short story, editorial and two commentaries to go with each - I got an A in the coursework.

The exam we did was called 'Categorising Texts' and it involved grouping texts using linguistic features and also analysing texts as well based on gender, technology or power ( I did technology - depends which one you're taught). I didn't end up doing as well in the exam as I'd hoped and so even though I got a C overall, I'm going to resit it next year!

Now in A2, we've just finished the coursework and we're starting the exam content which included language acquisition and language change; the latter of which is notoriously hard to do well on. I find it interesting, and certainly not boring, although I do know some people who aren't too fond and do find it boring, but it differs from person to person.

I did this subject alongside English lit and Psychology, plus a BTEC and I suppose I found it less demanding than the other subjects, although that does not mean to say that you shouldn't give it the same level of effort etc and it depends what subjects you're doing and the type of person/student you are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student_27)
Hi,
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the reply! And I think i might be doing the same spec as you - the things you've done/are doing sound familiar to what we've been told. That's sounds quite good, my main concern now is whether I'd actually do well in the exam though, what was it like?
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're most likely going to get an A*, I think you would be great at English Language! I got an A at GCSE and I'm taking AS Level right now. Although there are a lot of terms to learn, as long as you keep going over them and looking at examples of their use, they're not too complicated. In the coursework specifically, you get a lot of time to analyse and check that you've chosen the correct terms.

I don't find the lessons as interesting as my other subjects (Spanish, French and English Literature) but I prefer the coursework that we're doing. We have to choose an issue/celebrity/event or something that has a particular representation, e.g. positive/negative, and it can be something you're interested in, which is great. You then get to do a production piece on something that you want, so again it's good because you're not forced into a particular topic. I definitely enjoy that aspect, and my teachers seemed to help if I had questions whilst we were writing.

Compared to other subjects, I don't think there is as much work; it's my least time-consuming subject. I just do the homework (normally finishing things off or writing a few paragraphs) and then go over anything that I didn't understand before the next lesson. I have the AQA textbook which really helps with that.

Some things are hard and a bit dull, but in general I think it's a good subject! I enjoy writing, and enjoying the subject is the main thing
Jupers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well just some advice - if your college is doing AQA then you're most likely going to get a lower grade (compared to it you took lang/lit or lit) because of how harshly it is graded. To get an A* in A2 exam I'm sure it's like 3 off full marks or something. I looked at the best college in my area and the Head of English didn't recommend it and their results were lower compared to the others (some got a*'s but not as many as the other 2).
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took it and had As at AS and A2 and I'm now doing an Eng lang degree. I found it fascinating. I don't have a bad word to say about it, but they definitely keep the best til last, A2 was so interesting! It definitely develops a lot of skills.
DayDreamer1403
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did it at AS, am currently doing it at A2 and am planning on doing a degree in it when I go to uni next year! I've really enjoyed it all the way through. It's got a fairly heavy workload but if you're passionate enough about it which you seem to be then it's definitely manageable. I got an A at AS and am hoping for the same at A2, and I think with good coursework marks and lots of revision that should hopefully be achievable

It's very different from what you learn at GCSE, and much more applicable to everyday life and relatable to other subjects. It's definitely more psychology/sociology-focused and gives you a chance to articulate yourself on really interesting issues and ideas. One thing I will say is that there's a definite different in difficulty between AS and A2, but once again, manageable if you have a natural interest/aptitude in the subject and revise thoroughly as you go through the course to keep terms and theorists fresh in your mind. Lots of past paper practice is definitely vital as well I think.

With regards to your other subjects, I suppose you need to find a balance between choosing the subjects most important for what you want to do at uni and ones you're interested and feel you can do well in. Coming from someone who loves English and wants to pursue it as much as possible in the future, I think it's a really enjoyable and interesting subjects to take at A Level and is extremely relevant to life - hope this helps!
Student_27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought the exam at the time when I was actually doing it went well and I didn't find it too hard and came out of it feeling fairly positive about it. However, unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped and was left disappointed and so I've decided that I'm going to resit the exam next year, which will be more work but hopefully worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dougieowner)
If you're most likely going to get an A*, I think you would be great at English Language! I got an A at GCSE and I'm taking AS Level right now. Although there are a lot of terms to learn, as long as you keep going over them and looking at examples of their use, they're not too complicated. In the coursework specifically, you get a lot of time to analyse and check that you've chosen the correct terms.

I don't find the lessons as interesting as my other subjects (Spanish, French and English Literature) but I prefer the coursework that we're doing. We have to choose an issue/celebrity/event or something that has a particular representation, e.g. positive/negative, and it can be something you're interested in, which is great. You then get to do a production piece on something that you want, so again it's good because you're not forced into a particular topic. I definitely enjoy that aspect, and my teachers seemed to help if I had questions whilst we were writing.

Compared to other subjects, I don't think there is as much work; it's my least time-consuming subject. I just do the homework (normally finishing things off or writing a few paragraphs) and then go over anything that I didn't understand before the next lesson. I have the AQA textbook which really helps with that.

Some things are hard and a bit dull, but in general I think it's a good subject! I enjoy writing, and enjoying the subject is the main thing
Thanks that's sounds pretty good! We actually did a piece of control assessment which I think is a similar topic to what is studied at a level. It was scripts of different situations and we had to comment on the language used with special terminology which I don't really remember and basically why it was used. (Am I right? Aha) It was fairly easy (but obvs it was only gcse) but it was a bit boring- I'm hoping that looking at language acquisition etc will be more interesting tho.
Anyways thanks for the reply- very helpful!
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommy98)
Well just some advice - if your college is doing AQA then you're most likely going to get a lower grade (compared to it you took lang/lit or lit) because of how harshly it is graded. To get an A* in A2 exam I'm sure it's like 3 off full marks or something. I looked at the best college in my area and the Head of English didn't recommend it and their results were lower compared to the others (some got a*'s but not as many as the other 2).
Thanks for the warning- it was actually something I was worried about, I much rather do something I am sure/ more confident of getting an A/a* in. But yh I've asked my teacher whether I'm capable of doing alright and he said yes - but teachers normally say that to most students unless you're terrible at it so they get more students. So I'm not sure but thanks for the reply!
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by JennaEmBee)
I took it and had As at AS and A2 and I'm now doing an Eng lang degree. I found it fascinating. I don't have a bad word to say about it, but they definitely keep the best til last, A2 was so interesting! It definitely develops a lot of skills.
Ah right thanks! I enjoy the subject but I also really want to improve my writing skills so this is good to hear. Thanks!
Randomer98
Rep:
?
(Original post by DayDreamer1403)
I did it at AS, am currently doing it at A2 and am planning on doing a degree in it when I go to uni next year! I've really enjoyed it all the way through. It's got a fairly heavy workload but if you're passionate enough about it which you seem to be then it's definitely manageable. I got an A at AS and am hoping for the same at A2, and I think with good coursework marks and lots of revision that should hopefully be achievable

It's very different from what you learn at GCSE, and much more applicable to everyday life and relatable to other subjects. It's definitely more psychology/sociology-focused and gives you a chance to articulate yourself on really interesting issues and ideas. One thing I will say is that there's a definite different in difficulty between AS and A2, but once again, manageable if you have a natural interest/aptitude in the subject and revise thoroughly as you go through the course to keep terms and theorists fresh in your mind. Lots of past paper practice is definitely vital as well I think.

With regards to your other subjects, I suppose you need to find a balance between choosing the subjects most important for what you want to do at uni and ones you're interested and feel you can do well in. Coming from someone who loves English and wants to pursue it as much as possible in the future, I think it's a really enjoyable and interesting subjects to take at A Level and is extremely relevant to life - hope this helps!
Thanks aha! All these replies are actually persuading me to take it now! I was very double minded mainly because just before a few months ago when I didn't realise how well I was actually doing, English was definitely a no go area. I started yr 10 as a low B but then just did well... I kind of thank my teacher for this and I am scared that if I get another teacher I may not do as well at a level as it's not something you can just read from the text book and make do yourself like I'm doing with a lot of other subjects at gcse. So I don't want this to be a really bad decision. But everyone I've spoken to has actually done very well at a level and I am thinking seriously of taking it! So thank you for the reply!
Randomer98
Rep:
?
I thought the exam at the time when I was actually doing it went well and I didn't find it too hard and came out of it feeling fairly positive about it. However, unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped and was left disappointed and so I've decided that I'm going to resit the exam next year, which will be more work but hopefully worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah right I see, I guess that's with every exam really! Good luck on your resit! And thanks for the help!
Jupers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Randomer98)
Thanks for the warning- it was actually something I was worried about, I much rather do something I am sure/ more confident of getting an A/a* in. But yh I've asked my teacher whether I'm capable of doing alright and he said yes - but teachers normally say that to most students unless you're terrible at it so they get more students. So I'm not sure but thanks for the reply!
If you're smart and put the time in I'm sure you could do it. There were still a few a*'s at the college I looked at so it is possible.
Bethany96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently doing AS English language now.It's quite boring, though, it requires the smallest effort compared to my other AS subjects: psychology, sociology and mathematics- which was a surprise to be honest.All i suggest is that you keep on top of coursework, that does get on top of you for a while, but as for memorising linguistic features(etc) for the exam,in which I'm doing categorising texts, in my opinion, it requires very little memorable skills.Compared to other subjects, which i believe are testing you on your ability to 'memorise', English language is more towards your capabilities and knowledge.You should be fine.I got an A at GCSE and I'm targeted a B as A level, though, an A would be nice haha.
ProcrastinatePro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you doing English Lit AQA aswell? If so what texts are you studying?
Randomer98
Rep:
?
Ah right that's good to hear, thanks for the advice, got to decide by Friday. Probably will go for it
bb3213
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same boat, I really don't know whether English Language would be the right choice for me? I want to be a police detective and plan on taking Law and Psychology. I've spoke to a few people of significance and they believe with English I can accomplish anything and it would be really attractive to universities or on my CV, what do you al think?
amy.esler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently studying English Language at A2 after studying it last year at AS. At GCSE I got a B in English Lang, which included an A/B in all of my controlled assessments. When I was choosing my A level options I always knew from the start that I wanted to study English Language and it was always a firm, definite choice.

It depends on which spec you do as to what sort of work you do ( I do spec B on AQA) but last year I really enjoyed studying it at AS. I loved the Creating Texts unit which was the coursework and it involved us having to write a short story, editorial and two commentaries to go with each - I got an A in the coursework.

The exam we did was called 'Categorising Texts' and it involved grouping texts using linguistic features and also analysing texts as well based on gender, technology or power ( I did technology - depends which one you're taught). I didn't end up doing as well in the exam as I'd hoped and so even though I got a C overall, I'm going to resit it next year!

Now in A2, we've just finished the coursework and we're starting the exam content which included language acquisition and language change; the latter of which is notoriously hard to do well on. I find it interesting, and certainly not boring, although I do know some people who aren't too fond and do find it boring, but it differs from person to person.

I did this subject alongside English lit and Psychology, plus a BTEC and I suppose I found it less demanding than the other subjects, although that does not mean to say that you shouldn't give it the same level of effort etc and it depends what subjects you're doing and the type of person/student you are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know how to do a good 40 marker? My task is:

Write an opinion article in which you discuss the issues surrounding claims that there is a widening gulf between the generations in their use of language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads