How is it we still have poverty? Watch

daniel_bryden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Surely if we all worked together we could eliminate poverty and war right? We call ourselves the most advanced species on earth yet we're killing each other and watching others go hungry.. How ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by daniel_bryden)
Surely if we all worked together we could eliminate poverty and war right? We call ourselves the most advanced species on earth yet we're killing each other and watching others go hungry.. How ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's your answer.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not one to normally quote the Bible (except in the context of Pulp Fiction), but if you look at Judges 21:25, to paraphrase, the definition of chaos is everyone doing what they think is the right thing.

Very few people do ill on purpose. Most people do what they think is right. As an intelligent species, that correctness is going to be subjective and vary wildly across billions of people.

Hence - war and death.
TheLoveDoctor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With a homeless population of 3.5 million people and 18.6 million vacant houses - every homeless person in America can own 6 homes. Staggering.
euphrosyne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's because some people are greedy.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Poverty is mainly caused by the structure of ownership and the way inheritance works.

Ownership of productive capital (the things that make money) and large assets (like houses) is very concentrated in the hands of relatively few people. This inevitably means that there are quite a number of people who own neither assets nor productive capital. So they can't make money without working for wages and they have little security. If they are out of a job, they are poor and also they must often accept low wages for their work.

Inheritance maintains this system - those who own the capital pass it on to their children and grandchildren. The children of those who were poor remain poor.

There are exceptions to this (some people manage to rise in the system) but on the whole this is how it works.
Lord Frieza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's easier said than done my friend.

Even HERE there are corrupt divisions between different ideologies, groups, parties you name it; Muslims, Atheists, advocates of the Conservatives, advocates of Labour, Sony lovers, Microsoft lovers... The list will never end.

In addition, the war happening in Syria, there are two sides fighting, essentially meaning people will either be on one side or the other thus refusing to help the opposing force whether it be food, money or shelter.

This is the extent of humanity and it will always remain like this, in reality, poverty will never be gone.

You can do your part to help, as do I, but it falls into deaf ears.
Sparkle24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unequal distribution of wealth.
Greed basically.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Were a divided species and that won't change.

Addressing wealth on a global scale requires the developed world slowing their development and that's not a sacrifice I or many others would be willing to make.

War ranges from resources to religion so short of NATO being allowed to act as the worlds policeman that won't change.
95winoj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the result of living in a capitalist society
Snooz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
The unpalatable truth I don't think can be rooted anywhere other than in the fact that many people simply do not care, for one reason or another. Even supposing that were largely untrue for the majority of people, there is at least in terms of poverty, only so much that can be done on practical basis, let alone the inclination to do anything in the first place. Gradual a process though it may be, I'm confident that over time poverty will be eliminated.

War is a different matter. You can't really say more for war than it is a grander projection of one of the unfortunate, though necessary traits of human nature. In a world dominated by life, it would surely be impossible to live without being able to kill.

Regardless I don't think it should be said that for the reasons you mention that we cannot claim to be the most advanced species on Earth, because we are. Imperfect, but we don't claim to be perfect.
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Poverty needs to exist (unfortunately)

do some research on it. We cannot all have the same quality of life, some people have to go with less in order for others to have commodities.

For example, the cost of a car would be far, far greater if we paid more for the ore, and more for the manufacture. We keep the economies that supply resources in relative poverty in order for "us" to prosper, it means we maintain buying power.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.11%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.48%

Watched Threads