What is it about Islam nowadays? Watch

Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Not everyone on the board is an adult. I'm not simply being facetious; we have a certain "pas devant les enfants" position here.
True, but if you will sup with the Devil you should take care to use a long spoon. This is D&D - everybody knows that - and everybody knows that people have strong opinions and convictions - and many of the topics we discuss are emotive by their very nature.

I have little sympathy for anybody that enters a thread that is bound to be emotive (such as this one - the first post is a dead give away as to the future likely content of the thread) but joins in the debate anyway and then becomes offended.

Perhaps we should put up a warning sign "The staff of TSR advise that the easily offended and/or those who have not reached an age of maturity should restrict their activities to General Discussion"?

Again, these are just my personal views, for what they are worth.
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
True, but if you will sup with the Devil you should take care to use a long spoon. This is D&D - everybody knows that - and everybody knows that people have strong opinions and convictions - and many of the topics we discuss are emotive by their very nature.

I have little sympathy for anybody that enters a thread that is bound to be emotive (such as this one - the first post is a dead give away as to the future likely content of the thread) but joins in the debate anyway and then becomes offended.

Perhaps we should put up a warning sign "The staff of TSR advise that the easily offended and/or those who have not reached an age of maturity should restrict their activities to General Discussion"?

Again, these are just my personal views, for what they are worth.
Also true. Newbies to D&D might appreciate knowing what to expect...
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not necessarily. I well remember when I was a mod responding to several complaints which I felt were unworthy of handing out a warning or awarding points to the offending party for and I told the complainant as much. I threw quite a few complaints (several of JonH's in one day I seem to remember) in the bin and said if they are not happy with my decision they would be welcome to escalate it up the line. "Don't like it? - go talk to Pig"

But anyway - no big deal - we all have different ways of doing things and you are in the driving seat, not me.
I don't automatically warn for reported posts, trust me! I've rejected a few that didn't seem to require action.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also true. Newbies to D&D might appreciate knowing what to expect...
Our ways are a bit abrasive aren't they? I recently answered a post on another forum in the same style that I use here and got booed off stage - people hurling rotten tomatoes at me - the general consensus was nicely put by one respondent who declared "I'm sure that with a minimum of effort you could have answered that in a more polite way"

Clearly, 2.5 years on UKL hasn't done much for my forum etiquette.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't automatically warn for reported posts, trust me! I've rejected a few that didn't seem to require action.
Furry muff.
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Our ways are a bit abrasive aren't they? I recently answered a post on another forum in the same style that I use here and got booed off stage - people hurling rotten tomatoes at me - the general consensus was nicely put by one respondent who declared "I'm sure that with a minimum of effort you could have answered that in a more polite way"

Clearly, 2.5 years on UKL hasn't done much for my forum etiquette.
:rofl: To some extent i agree with both of you but then one can put across points in a non-offensive way... That being said, people have different degrees of how they class something as 'offensive' so this minimod in shining armour's views will have to suffice :p:
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Furry muff.
:wtf?:
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*warns Howard* :p:

OK, we'd better stop spamming the thread now, otherwise I'll have to ban myself.
mortderire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
shame this thread has descended to this
amoosebouche
Badges: 2
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 19841984)
I would rather use the word 'infamous', not 'popular' to describe Islam and Muslims in Britain, and in the Western world in general. Islam is not growing in Europe because White Europeans are converting in their droves; rather it is due to our dangerously relaxed immigration laws, and a politically correct infrastructure which has pushed the boundaries of sanity.

In my view, immigration ought to be stopped, or at the least minimized for a period of time, so that the current immigrants have time to integrate and melt into British society, otherwise, I really fear of a clash of civilizations in one country.

I believe all religions are negative, however, I have a strong conviction that Islam is the most dangerous of them all, as it looks down upon all non-Muslims, and Muslims always have a victim mentality, which causes resentment. Never mind the fact that Islam is spreading around the world at an extraordinary rate, never mind the fact that Western freedom is being cropped to cater for the arrogance of Muslims, never mind the fact that Islam is the biggest religion in the world, and probably will take over the world in a century, Muslims continue to act like they are being persecuted, and that there is a 'jihad' going on in the world. Muslims, with their suppression of women and other minorities, their lack of respect for non-Muslims make me sick. Do not dare telling me that my views are stereotypical or that I am describing extremist Muslims, because almost all Muslims are like this!
Thanks for generalising....you're obviously some **** from a small town who is scared of anything other than himself and carbon copies.
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

OK, we'd better stop spamming the thread now, otherwise I'll have to ban myself.
I was gonna ask about something like this on another thread where we were off topic! :p: Oh yeah the one that lead to the Harry Potter mundane thread.
Alasdair
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago

It wasn't really going anywhere anyway, tbh... These threads are usually interesting for the first 10 pages, tops, and then you end up saying the same thing again and again.

On another note, I like to think I manage to combine a rigorous debating style, while at the same time mocking the real nutjobs...although they usually do quite a good job of mocking themselves.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alasdair_R)
Some being the key word there. There are also, say British Fascists who want to destroy Democracy, which is as much a part of British culture as the above. There're hardcore Protestants and Catholics who want to do much the same.

However, they are only 'some' of their respective communities - the same is true of Muslims.
Except that the unifying aspect of being british isnt a belief system.

For Islam it is.

It is arguable that the common basis of beliefs that all Mulsims share justify the views that would ecessitate the steps outlined.
Mra99
Report 12 years ago
islam and science do not conflict
Alasdair
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Em86)
islam and science do not conflict
Hahaha! Quote of the year!!

Religion and science conflict, love...
Mra99
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alasdair_R)
Hahaha! Quote of the year!!

Religion and science conflict, love...
you are pure ignorance
_jackofdiamonds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Em86)
you are pure ignorance
That reminds me of that Michael Jackson interview; 'it's just ignorance'.
Mra99
Report 12 years ago
dont call me LOVE. islam and science do not conflict. do not be so ignorant
Mra99
Report 12 years ago
good luck to you anyway. peace
Alasdair
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Em86)
you are pure ignorance
Well, the belief in a being whose existence has no proof is at odds with science to begin with.

Also, I presume that along with the other monotheisms, very orthodox Muslims believe that Allah created the world, probably not very long ago. This is, again, against what modern science has proven.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads