Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Never mind that we actually claimed sperm came from a man's spine (see the Quran for that morsel of scientific nous)...
    Would you like to give us a quote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Green Manalishi)
    Hehe, arguably there are things in outer space like Massive Astronomical Halo Objects, Weakly Interacting Massive Particles and other things like neutrino beds whose proofs are fairly obscure, and just about as believable as a God.

*waits for AlphaNumeric to come and blast my Astrophysics out of the ground* :p:
    I don't know anything about Astrophysics, but I'll guess what you mentioned are theories. Theories can change using science, the belief in God in a particualr religion doesn't change unless you beome Agnostic or Atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair_R)
    The burden of proof lies on you to prove it, rather than me to disprove it.
    Why? I'm not the one condemning science...

Science gains knowledge by testing and correlating the evidence. Religion accepts what is written in a book as true with no correlating evidence. Science and religion are therefore fundamentally incompatible.
    Not necessarily, it is a belief. Something that doesn't need pure fact, otherwise it wouldn't be such.

Hehe, arguably there are things in outer space like Massive Astronomical Halo Objects, Weakly Interacting Massive Particles and other things like neutrino beds whose proofs are fairly obscure, and just about as believable as a God.

*waits for AlphaNumeric to come and blast my Astrophysics out of the ground* :p:
    Yes, but science doesn't claim that these things exist beyond all doubt. Religion claims god does.

ReputationRep:
    The burden of proof lies on you to prove it, rather than me to disprove it.

Science gains knowledge by testing and correlating the evidence. Religion accepts what is written in a book as true with no correlating evidence. Science and religion are therefore fundamentally incompatible.
    :ditto:
    Science changes all the time. Hypothesises are tested out to make sure the science is accurate. Religion is just accepted as it is written in a book. Science and religion are very different in these ways, as religion relies on faith and science relies on theories being tested out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humra)
    I don't know anything about Astrophysics, but I'll guess what you mentioned are theories. Theories can change using science, the belief in God in a particualr religion doesn't change unless you beome Agnostic or Atheist.
    Pretty much all of science is a theory, a model, used to predict and anticipate certain events. At the most fundamental level of quarks, leptons and exchange bosons if i recall correctly my physics teacher told us that even standard laws of motion can't apply/ break down.

What does changing have to do with anything? Sorry if i'm missing something

Why? I'm not the one condemning science...
    But you are the one claiming the existence of god. I'm sure Russel's teapot has been mentioned in this thread...

ReputationRep:
    sura 86:7

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but science doesn't claim that these things exist beyond all doubt. Religion claims god does.
    Fair enough, which is why religion is labelled as a 'belief' in something, right?

Surah 86:6 [Man] is created from a gushing fluid that issued from between the loins and ribs.

ReputationRep:
    But you are the one claiming the existence of god. I'm sure Russel's teapot has been mentioned in this thread...
    And? I'm claiming that yes, i believe in the existance of a God. Science has not disproved it, so we reach a stalemate.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway - anyone feel that Edgar Allen Poe was a prophet? I have yet to hear any comment on the impressive set of explanations in Eureka...

Surely such a poem is proof of it's divine provenance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    sura 86:7
    From between the spine and the viscera

Fair enough, which is why religion is labelled as a 'belief' in something, right?
    Indeed. Which is why religion and science are incompatible. QED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Anyway - anyone feel that Edgar Allen Poe was a prophet? I have yet to hear any comment on the impressive set of explanations in Eureka...

Surely such a poem is proof of it's divine provenance?
    Haven't read it. But I will soon

ReputationRep:
    I still don't see how the belief in a God disallows you to use, understand and accept the theories of motion, the big bang or theories of relativity... While believing that there is a God which makes things happen the way they do.

And? I'm claiming that yes, i believe in the existance of a God. Science has not disproved it, so we reach a stalemate.
    Christ, I really am going to have to break out Russell's Teapot again.

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

D'you see what I'm getting at here? There is no impasse. The burden of proof doesn't fall on the negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humra)
    From between the spine and the viscera
    Which is false.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which European country has the highest percentage of Muslims, not counting Turkey in the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bergen)
    Does anyone know which European country has the highest percentage of Muslims, not counting Turkey in the EU?
    I would guess at France, but it really is a guess.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.