What is it about Islam nowadays? Watch

Alasdair
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Hmm, actually this thread isn't the place for a discussion of freedom. I'll post a separate one, so it doesn't get off-topic. Un moment.
Good idea. I'll repost in there in a minute.
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here.
JamesEpsilon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Green Manalishi)
Utter nonsense btw.
twas my attempt at irony though.
Operation: Mindcrime
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is your name really James Epsilon?
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JamesEpsilon)
twas my attempt at irony though.
:p:
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Humra)
This may not encourage 'sinful' behaviour, but it's people in fear for their lives. Sharia KLaw is too harsh, fact!
As i've said many a time, Shari'ah is a legal system. The main purpose of a ciminal legal system is to punish wrongdoers (Even the UK's criminal legal system) The punishments are entirely upto the system in question and they server their purpose. IIRC, the punishment for treason was capital punishment in the UK till 1996.

Also, the bit that you think it's harsh doesn't make it a fact. The fact that many people subject themselves to (willingly) live under it is testimony enough to that.
bigrico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont know, if you live in an islamic state you do have freedom, you have the freedom to tie semtex to your body and blow up anyone who does not believe in what you believe in, you have the freedom to treat women like slaves, the freedom to immigrate to other countries who have a liberal benefit systems.

So I think Islam does not curtail all freedoms.
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
With all these conversation about Islam, I am wondering whatever happened to Giordano?
frankiew13
Report 12 years ago
There are two types of freedom; freedom to and freedom from.
In the west it seems that freedom to is much more important to people than freedom from.
Sharia law is to protect people from committing what they see as sins. With less religious devotion in the west, people do not want/need this protection so prefer to be able to do what they want ie. freedom to.

Also England is based on religious law which is very similar to Sharia law, afterall Christianity and Islam have far more in common than they have differences.
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
Aren't these the 10 commandments that apply to nearly every world religion?
Until the early 1990's it was still illegal to be a homosexaual man.. law was passed in i think 1992 that made anal sex permissible.
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bigrico)
I dont know, if you live in an islamic state you do have freedom, you have the freedom to tie semtex to your body and blow up anyone who does not believe in what you believe in, you have the freedom to treat women like slaves, the freedom to immigrate to other countries who have a liberal benefit systems.

So I think Islam does not curtail all freedoms.
Technically no, if you actually bother to read something of proper substance you'd understand that murder is (IIRC) a capital crime under the Shari'ah law so your first point becomes redundant.

The second - Some women actually then like the slavery. Bit of a fallacy if it really was slavery then, isn't it? :rolleyes: Look back in history, you'll find that Islamic states were among the first to actually denote proper rights to women.

Third point - Same with any other citizen, and vice versa. There are non-muslims living in Saudi for example. The same way i'm muslim and live in Sri Lanka, a majority Buddhist country. Does it matter much? No. If at all the main source of conflict comes from ethnic tension between the LTTE and other parties. Which hardly comprise of muslims.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (867)
80.06%
Leave (216)
19.94%

Watched Threads