The Student Room Group

Am i being unfair on my boyfriend ? any opinions please

This will sound a ridiculous whiney post but opinions please !. tell me if im being a dramatic over the top idiot or not.

On new year I think im going to a party with my boyfriend at his bosses house there will be a lot of people there nobody I know but he will know a majority. Im not drinking (im driving and I have a heart condition ) I suffer from like I said a heart problem which makes me very tired and lethargic and also prone to fainting a lot. I asked my boyfriend if we could leave at 1 as we're getting to the party at 7 he said no.

Im staying now till 3am yet he refuses to leave with me instead he wants to get a cab back with one of the girls he works with at 4am.Im upset we cant leave together. It may seem quite selfish and ridiculous to say but I want to leave with him 1) all his friends have their girlfriends with them so I don't see why he wants to stay later to hang around with them 2) I don't want to do the 15 minute walk back to my car alone at 3am 3) it be nice if he would leave with me as it jus shows he sort of cares 4) we wont see each other till then and as I said im picking him up and going so we're get no time together it be nice if we could have atleast an hour alone.

I know to many of you I may seem like a possessive clingy girlfriend and I probably am being. My boyfriend is out constantly he is out tonight xmas eve with his friends he is out every weekend with his friends he goes out for lunch and pub with his work mates constantly our relationship basis round his going out and partying near enough so I just find it a bit hurtful he wont even leave new year with me but instead wants to stay later and party with them (again). Last party we went to he went off and left me on my own as he gets a bit uncaring when he's drunk so I suppose atleast leaving with me would be a caring thing. This is our 3rd new year together but the 1st one he has asked to spend with me as usually its a boys night.

Am I being compeltly dramatic and over the top about something so trivial ?
Reply 1
yes and no i mean okay fine no you are not
Reply 2
i think he's being more unfair than you are trivial. relationships are about compromises: you've agreed (1) to go and (2) to stick around for longer than you want. he's agreed to do as he ****ing pleases.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
This will sound a ridiculous whiney post but opinions please !. tell me if im being a dramatic over the top idiot or not.

On new year I think im going to a party with my boyfriend at his bosses house there will be a lot of people there nobody I know but he will know a majority. Im not drinking (im driving and I have a heart condition ) I suffer from like I said a heart problem which makes me very tired and lethargic and also prone to fainting a lot. I asked my boyfriend if we could leave at 1 as we're getting to the party at 7 he said no.

Im staying now till 3am yet he refuses to leave with me instead he wants to get a cab back with one of the girls he works with at 4am.Im upset we cant leave together. It may seem quite selfish and ridiculous to say but I want to leave with him 1) all his friends have their girlfriends with them so I don't see why he wants to stay later to hang around with them 2) I don't want to do the 15 minute walk back to my car alone at 3am 3) it be nice if he would leave with me as it jus shows he sort of cares 4) we wont see each other till then and as I said im picking him up and going so we're get no time together it be nice if we could have atleast an hour alone.

I know to many of you I may seem like a possessive clingy girlfriend and I probably am being. My boyfriend is out constantly he is out tonight xmas eve with his friends he is out every weekend with his friends he goes out for lunch and pub with his work mates constantly our relationship basis round his going out and partying near enough so I just find it a bit hurtful he wont even leave new year with me but instead wants to stay later and party with them (again). Last party we went to he went off and left me on my own as he gets a bit uncaring when he's drunk so I suppose atleast leaving with me would be a caring thing. This is our 3rd new year together but the 1st one he has asked to spend with me as usually its a boys night.

No he is being unreasonable.
He's going on a night out with you. He should leave with you. I don't understand people who do things like that. You don't go out with someone if you don't plan to leave at the same time as them, it makes the whole night a lot more trivial.
Reply 5
If we went together we'd leave together or I wouldn't be going full stop
Reply 6
If he's serious about your relationship, you should be his top priority. Unless there are some business reasons (connected with his employment) for which he needs to network with his colleagues without your being present, he should be a gentlemen and take you home. From what you say, it sounds to me as though he's just a "casual acquaintance", rather than a real friend or something more serious. Cheers.
He doesn't seem to care very much about you.
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
He doesn't seem to care very much about you.

Ditto
Reply 9
If you come out together, as a couple you'd expect to be going home together..Someone has to compromise, whether that should be you or him I don't know.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you are just his lift to the party! plus no way should you be left to walk 15 minutes to your car...especially if you are prone to fainting!
Totally think he needs to compromise here. You've compromised so he should too. In reality I guess he may leave with you on the night but it sounds to me like he's being completely selfish. If I were you I would tell him that it's really important to you and see what he says. Point out that you've compromised by agreeing to stay later than you wanted and say to him that it's only an hour earlier, and if he's drunk he likely wouldn't notice the difference anyway. My bf used to get into funny moods and be really stubborn and ridiculous which was incredibly annoying. He wasn't as bad as this but he would often tell me that I shouldn't be limiting him (which I really wasn't) because he had it in his head that I was trying to control him (which again, I wasn't but rather he had a block over commitment). It all turned out fine in the end and he stopped doing it because he realised that actually he could have as much fun with me there as with his friends alone and that I was quite happy for him to do what he wanted to do. This may be something your bf needs to realise if this is your first new year together and so it may just take time for him to adjust. Seven years(!) in with my bf we never have arguments like this any more as we are both happy to compromise. Fingers crossed yours will agree to compromise too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending