The Student Room Group

What will 2013 be remembered for?

I would probably say the worsening Syria situation. Deaths, even of famous people, tend to be forgotten quite swiftly, and not much else occurred that has the potential to affect the future.

Discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

**** all, pretty uneventful year tbh. Syria, Mandela, new pope, Typhoon Yolanda.
The year Bassetts announced on tsr that he'd lost his virginity
Reply 3
Mandela and Syria, but that's only if you really care about history. I think as far as society changing events go we've been pretty thin on the ground this year.
Miley Cyrus *cough* expressing herself...
Reply 5
Mandela, Syria, The new Pope, Diamond Jubilee and Royal Baby, and I guess you could maybe say the whole Zimmerman trial in the US too.
The year that some people went to work at a shop so they could then refuse to serve customers based on what they want to buy

*cough* Marks and Spencer *cough*
Original post by Steevee
Diamond Jubilee

Diamond Jubilee was 2012, which is a horrible thought because it seems just like yesterday that it clogged up the news.

Most significant event this year I would probably say is the election of Pope Francis. He seems to be leading the Catholic Church in a different direction from what it was under Benedict, which can only be a good thing.

Admittedly, nothing sticks out in my mind of major events when I look back. In the UK, I'm leaning towards Parliament voting against intervention in Syria. That was certainly one of the most surprising things to happen this year.
Reply 8
Mandela, football, ashes
The year with the worst candidates on The Apprentice
That Cyrus/Thicke performance...
I'm glad he's back.

Lee Rigby, the Syria situation, and that damn baby
Reply 13
Being pretty much the same as 2012.
Mandela's death is probably the only really notable thing anyone might remember, and even then if you give it ten years, not many people will remember if it was 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015.

I don't think 2013 really brought a great deal of memorable events apart from that. There are specific interest events but nothing that is likely to stick in society's collective mind, as it were. Most of the significant events this year are little more than repeats of other years. Is anyone going to remember Syria? Not unless they're involved. Snowdon? No. Boston Marathon bombing? In Boston. Typhoon Haiyan? If you were affected. China's moon landing? No. New Pope? No.

Not that it's a bad thing, but 2013 seems remarkably generic and dull.
Reply 15
The Arab spring, Mandela, and of course Snowden!
Reply 16
The Royal Baby and Mandela, I think. Two events which stopped the world.

In terms of history, I think Snowden had quite the impact and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned him.
The year Cory Moneith died. :cry2:
Reply 18
Pope Francis, more Yewtree arrests, young Prince George, Nigella Lawson, Miley Cyrus, 'Blurred Lines', and Nelson Mandela.
The year TSR took away neg rep

Quick Reply