The Student Room Group

How to get rid of acne?

This is a huge problem for me right now. I am 18 years old now but acne first broke out on my face when I was 16 years old. I have been to the doctor various times and he has prescribed me many gels and creams but they all seem to have a good initial effect but after the bacteria become resistant to the antibiotics they have no effect at all :mad:
I could go back to the doctor and ask for another cream but I want to find a permanent solution to this problem. Is there anything anyone does that treats their acne?
Drink Water in Plenty Everyday.
Rub the juice of garlic on your acne as garlic kill the bacteria trapped in your pores.
Make a paste of peppermint leaves and then apply it directly to your acne.
Do exercise for 30 minutes daily.
Control stress levels.
Get enough sleep for 7 hours.
Avoid touching your face.
Reply 2
Original post by mrhedgehog
This is a huge problem for me right now. I am 18 years old now but acne first broke out on my face when I was 16 years old. I have been to the doctor various times and he has prescribed me many gels and creams but they all seem to have a good initial effect but after the bacteria become resistant to the antibiotics they have no effect at all :mad:
I could go back to the doctor and ask for another cream but I want to find a permanent solution to this problem. Is there anything anyone does that treats their acne?

Depending on the severity, oral antibiotics are an option (usually something from the tetracycline family).

Failing that, request a cream called Azelaic Acid (Brand name Skinoren) I've recently started using that as a replacement for oral antibiotics and it has maintained keeping my skin clear :smile:

Azelaic acid doesn't become resistant to antibiotics so hopefully that will sort your problem out
Reply 3
The main thing to do if your acne is persistent and a worry is to ask for your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. I wasted a lot of time on creams and antibiotics which did nothing and meanwhile the temptation to poke and prod increases the risk of scaring. The only thing that worked or me was roaccutane and this was a magic cure. Sure if you acne is mild and responds to conventional treatments go for that but if you are in despair insist on some robust medical help.
Reply 4
It might sound ludicrous but I would advise not to wash your face at all - maybe just every couple of days, only with water.

After surgery I could not have washed my face at all - for a period of couple of weeks and despite that at the beginning it was very difficult, then after couple of weeks I noticed that my skin got really amazing.
I got rid of the spots and other things and now, even though I can wash my face I do not do this - since then I have an amazing skin.

The only thing I do - is wash is with water every 2 or 3 days, but that's it.
When I need to clean it deeper though I clean it with vegetable oil and then wash with water.

Works wonders for me.
Reply 5
Original post by IGX_RSV2
Depending on the severity, oral antibiotics are an option (usually something from the tetracycline family).

Failing that, request a cream called Azelaic Acid (Brand name Skinoren) I've recently started using that as a replacement for oral antibiotics and it has maintained keeping my skin clear :smile:

Azelaic acid doesn't become resistant to antibiotics so hopefully that will sort your problem out

The doctor has suggested oral antibiotics before but surely they won't last long either?
Benzoyl peroxide.
Reply 7
Freederm exfoliating daily wash morning + night, and St ives apricot blemish scrub using an exfoliating facial sponge for both, found that they worked better than any prescribed meds, try it for a week, you'll definitely see a difference. And lots of water!
Reply 8
Perhaps you could try going to a dermatologist, see what advice they give.
Have you tried using natural remedies before sorting to creams and the rest of clinical products? I have been reading from reputable websites like clearupacne dot org that there are also specifi diet recommendations that can possibly help to get rid of acne. I'm a suck*er of natural ways for curing acne.
Honestly I find just a hot clean flannel, and the brand simple face wash. And I remove black/white heads myself with a comedone extractor.

I also use duac prescribed by the doc after I have washed and my face is dry
Reply 11
go to your doctor and ask for Isotrex gel is amazing
Reply 12
do NOT wash your face everyday! Do not use face washes or face scrubs as they can actually irratate your skin and cause inflamation and redness, making the acne worse!
Just a splash some warm water over your face, do NOT rub it dry. Just pat it gently with a soft clean towel, DONT touch your face, DONT squeeze or pick.

Garlic helps kill bacteria, so eat a lot of garlic, even rub the garlic cloves on your skin then rinse with warm water.
Slice a lemon in half and rub this on your face, again lemon kills bacteria with its acidity (and smells better than garlic)
Dont expose to heat/sunlight to often
Rinse with WARM not hot or cold water.

Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins, avoid dairy, and fatty foods!
Eat fruits, especially berries :smile:
And finally just bare with it, dont use any oil based creams or washes! keep your face dry as this will dry the spots out, I cannot stress enough though DO NOT PICK. picking causes scars, but also spreads the spots like wildfire!
Reply 13
I had same problem on my back. It was awful and it broke out so suddenly. I went to dermatologist and after trying all sorts of treatments (antibiotics, creams etc), I had to take something like accutane/isotretinoin oral (capsules).

Worked so well, but you may get dry skin/lips like I did, but it wasn't too bad - just got to use creams/moisturizers for that! It's dangerous but it seriously does such wonders. :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest