Help me to be compassionate.

Watch
Rational Thinker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I would like to help more people. Is there any advice you could give me?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Bump.
Snuggle Ducky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Place yourself in situations which require compassion, or at least require you to see others suffering. Volunteering at a hospital or a homeless shelter will introduce you to many scenarios which require compassion and empathy leaving you no choice but to develop it. These are also places where many naturally compassionate people will be drawn to so you will be able to watch them and if you fail at developing your own compassion at least you'll be better able to mimic it.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snuggle Ducky)
Place yourself in situations which require compassion, or at least require you to see others suffering. Volunteering at a hospital or a homeless shelter will introduce you to many scenarios which require compassion and empathy leaving you no choice but to develop it. These are also places where many naturally compassionate people will be drawn to so you will be able to watch them and if you fail at developing your own compassion at least you'll be better able to mimic it.
Thank you.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Useful advice.
Padwas
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
talk to maid marian
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Padwas)
talk to maid marian
I think that would completely reverse any efforts.
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
I think that would complete reverse any efforts.
lol

try comforting people on tsr who have bf/gf problems
visit a mental illness hospital ( very very sad it chafes people )
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Giving up on your Islamophobic rhetoric on this forum that helps negate your compassion might help.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Giving up on your Islamophobic rhetoric on this forum that helps negate your compassion might help.
Is receiving advice about compassion from someone like yourself who condoned the Nairobi shooting not a tad absurd?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
lol

try comforting people on tsr who have bf/gf problems
visit a mental illness hospital ( very very sad it chafes people )
The first one sounds unfufilling as they are probably quite superficial anyway. I might try the second one though.
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first one sounds unfufilling as they are probably quite superficial anyway. I might try the second one though.
yes they are superficial but it helps anyway
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
yes they are superficial but it helps anyway
I will try that then perhaps. At the moment I am worried that Al Mudarri is giving me advice. Mudarri being someone who wished the perpetrators of the Nairobi shooting all the best!
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will try that then perhaps. At the moment I am worried that Al Mudarri is giving me advice. Mudarri being someone who wished the perpetrators of the Nairobi shooting all the best!
yeah he is weird lol but try my tips they worked for me
BlossomS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You do not need to do anything specific or blatantly go out looking to be compassionate but just a little something everyday is enough to accumulate into you showing compassion without a second thought. Like how you might walk by homeless people and offer food/change, when you see an elderly man having difficulty crossing the street and you go and help him or when you know there's an old lady in your flat who doesn't have many relatives and you give up an hour of your time to chat with her. Things like that may seem insignificant but that's how you allow compassion to take root in your heart and slowly grow. But, as most have said, in order to open your eyes to many things beyond just your world and truly be touched, I think spending time at a children's hospital or even a charity can be beneficial and awakening a compassionate attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that there are two main elements underpinning compassion. The first is the desire to be compassionate, and the second is one's practical ability to be.

The desire to be compassionate rests, I believe, primarily on empathy. A person needs to care about other people enough to be moved to want to make a difference to them. I think that empathy's tremendously important, so I've tried to cultivate it myself, mostly by paying more attention to the way I feel and trying to open up to become more emotionally affected by the situations of other people - both real and fictional. I think that placing an emphasis on empathising and feeling for others is enough to stimulate yourself in that direction.

However, wanting to help people isn't enough - a person needs to have the power and capability of doing so. To that end, it's useful to have skills and mentalities that help in that regard. For example: taking note of the actions of others whom you recognise as worth emulating and incorporating aspects of their behaviour into your own; considering methods to help others regularly; noticing and assimilating patterns of speech that have a positive impact on others; identifying small things you can change about your daily routine that facilitate compassionate behaviour; determining for yourself a code of conduct that requires you to maintain a certain standard of character. These are all things that I have attempted and can recommend to you.

Of the two, the latter aspect is what I personally find most difficult. It's one thing to want to be able to help someone, but another to know the best means of doing so. It often requires a degree of social confidence and self-discipline, or else it is very easy to fail to intervene when in hindsight you wish you would have. These things can be developed in tandem. In fact, by living according to rules that you set for yourself, you can improve in all measures of the virtues you admire - not just compassion.

Best of luck with your self-improvement venture. :yy:
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Waste of time, most humans are not worth it.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kilroy8)
Waste of time, most humans are not worth it.
I can see where you're coming from. However, is it not worth trying to be compassionate anyway despite the infinite ignorance of the average person?
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how is your journey into compassion coming along
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
how is your journey into compassion coming along
It is starting to get underway. Although I do not wish to become pandering, so it will be a difficult balance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (91)
26.84%
England (111)
32.74%
Belgium (27)
7.96%
Germany (39)
11.5%
Spain (7)
2.06%