Maths
    71.01%
    English
    28.99%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wanderer)
    And you really don't see how you're winding me up?
    I honestly don't have a clue. What I know is you can't do English lit without reading books and writing essays. You can do maths without calculators and sums. (Look at Fermat's last theorem. Andrew Wiles turned a problem a 10-year-old could understand into a solution that not even 10 people alive could understand. You can read a lot into books, but you can't do that.)

...forget it, I'm going to stop posting here now, you're doing my ****ing head in. Go and argue with Gaz or Goodfella who said exactly the same as me. Why did you pick me to ***** at? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I honestly don't have a clue. What I know is you can't do English lit without reading books and writing essays. You can do maths without calculators and sums. (Look at Fermat's last theorem. Andrew Wiles turned a problem a 10-year-old could understand into a solution that not even 10 people alive could understand. You can read a lot into books, but you can't do that.)

...forget it, I'm going to stop posting here now, you're doing my ****ing head in. Go and argue with Gaz or Goodfella who said exactly the same as me. Why did you pick me to ***** at? :rolleyes:
    The swear filter doesn't pick up *****? I'll have to remember that. There's clearly no way you're going to get the point here, which is a pity.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The swear filter doesn't pick up *****? I'll have to remember that. There's clearly no way you're going to get the point here, which is a pity.
    I don't want to "get the point". I want a reason you picked me out of three posters to have a go at. Although now you'll probably make some sarcastic comment about me posting again after I said I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:

generalebriety theres no need to argue with them, its only natural they are going to support there subject. Maths is far more important than English. This is simply because for certain things to be developed/discovered mathematics is required. However people say how will we communicate with people without english, and i will say "ever heard about sign language".

ReputationRep:
    Up to GCSE everything i need to know about english will have been learnt. However with GCSE maths i probably would not have even covered 5% of the fundamentals of mathematics.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Goodfella333)
    generalebriety theres no need to argue with them, its only natural they are going to support there subject. Maths is far more important than English. This is simply because for certain things to be developed/discovered mathematics is required. However people say how will we communicate with people without english, and i will say "ever heard about sign language".
    Wanderer is applying to Cambridge for maths... but that's not the point. I'm wondering why he's picking on me alone when you and Gaz and probably other people I've missed have said the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    The Polls speek for itself.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to "get the point". I want a reason you picked me out of three posters to have a go at. Although now you'll probably make some sarcastic comment about me posting again after I said I wouldn't.
    Gaz031 didn't make a personal attack in the way you did, and has more ground on which to support what he's saying. Goodfella333 is just ridiculous, whereas you seem to have a fair amount of sense, just a bit of a tendency towards hostility. Look, I'm sorry if I've come across more aggressive than I intended. I just think your attack on Fuglyduckling was unwarranted and that the arguments you've made against others criticising maths apply equally to the way you've dismissed English.

ReputationRep:
    English (language) is just history and psychology
    What?! :confused:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Gaz031 didn't make a personal attack in the way you did, and has more ground on which to support what he's saying. Goodfella333 is just ridiculous, whereas you seem to have a fair amount of sense, just a bit of a tendency towards hostility. Look, I'm sorry if I've come across more aggressive than I intended. I just think your attack on Fuglyduckling was unwarranted and that the arguments you've made against others criticising maths apply equally to the way you've dismissed English.
    Meh, that's probably true, I'm sorry too. To be honest, my post was based largely on Gaz's post... meh. I am hostile at times but to be honest I get worked up when people **** off the few things I enjoy doing (which looked like what fuglyduckling was trying to do), and if enjoying maths is a bad thing, well, I'm prepared to live with the consequences.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Decota)
    What?! :confused:
    As far as I was aware, subject content was history of the English language and how speech is formed, how babies pick it up, etc. That sort of thing. There's the odd bit about language evolving at A-level but it's minimal, so I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    Goodfella333 is just ridiculous
    Shut the ****ing hell up, You of all, a maths student should know that maths is more important than english(i could probably understand why an arts student would reason in the way it does but you should just be ashame of yourself). The ammount of applications maths has is uncountable, just look at the application maths has towards medicine

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware, subject content was history of the English language and how speech is formed, how babies pick it up, etc. That sort of thing. There's the odd bit about language evolving at A-level but it's minimal, so I've heard.
    I assure you, Eng Lang at degree level is fair bit different and it seems you're comparing A-level English to degree level maths which isn't fair and what fuglyduckling was also trying to insinuate this. It's just taking a narrowminded (simplistic if you like) approach to compare english by saying it is a subgroup of other groups. (history,psychology)

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is a certain amount of crossover with psychology, but the history isn't really history - its very focused on linguistic changes, with only a minimal look at related events. The A level as a whole is very much focused on linguistic analysis.

Meh, that's probably true, I'm sorry too. To be honest, my post was based largely on Gaz's post... meh. I am hostile at times but to be honest I get worked up when people **** off the few things I enjoy doing (which looked like what fuglyduckling was trying to do), and if enjoying maths is a bad thing, well, I'm prepared to live with the consequences. :smile:
    No problem, its all too easy for all of us to get carried away with this sort of thing. And I certainly don't think enjoying maths is a bad thing!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Decota)
    I assure you, Eng Lang at degree level is fair bit different and it seems you're comparing A-level English to degree level maths which isn't fair and what fuglyduckling was also trying to insinuate this. It's just taking a narrowminded (simplistic if you like) approach to compare english by saying it is a subgroup of other groups. (history,psychology)
    No, fuglyduckling's comment (and the rest of this thread, apart from the bit you quoted from me) was about English lit... and that comment I made was about AS level English language.

And I certainly don't think enjoying maths is a bad thing!
    I don't think Cambridge interviewers will look down on it too much either.

ReputationRep:
    No, fuglyduckling's comment (and the rest of this thread, apart from the bit you quoted from me) was about English lit... and that comment I made was about AS level English language.

I don't think Cambridge interviewers will look down on it too much either.
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    You too. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You too. :p:
    Not a lot luck can do now. Just have to wait for 12 long, long, days ...

ReputationRep:
    Well, not being a maths undergraduate or going to Cambridge or Warwick, I assumed you wouldn't know what STEP papers were. Most of my peers don't.

You seem to have the unfortunate misconception, as a lot of non-mathematicians do, that maths is just hard sums. I won't even bother explaining to you... suffice it to say that there is more abstract thought involved in maths than English could sniff at. Can you imagine analysing a book that's not there? Every time a mathematician messes with abstract algebra and whole worlds of other things I haven't even heard of yet, they are essentially looking at things that don't exist in the real world and have no real use in applied maths at all. (Edit: in fact, the difference between pure maths and applied maths is fairly comparable to that between parts of English language and English lit.) And this isn't at research level, I'm talking about STEP papers to first year undergraduate. You seem to have a ridiculous amount of arrogance about your subject compared to mine, whereas I have considered English lit before and you probably haven't done a maths A-level - you've heard it all off people who are good at maths and probably tell you it's all easy because they're good. But unless you've done the research and tried the maths yourself you wouldn't understand. Hell, I'm going to university this time next year and even I don't claim to understand some of the maths I'm on about. :rolleyes:
    I did do Maths A-level and I don't study English. My opinion is unbiased. I don't know where I mentioned 'abstract thought' (oh yeah, I didn't - you just threw that in) but you still haven't justified the creativity element ...

To the guy who posted before, I agree that proofs (from first principles only - not ones you've learned verbatim) are a good example of something academic.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't carry maths or english on after gcse, but I will say that with maths the final answer is either right or wrong (even though there are a number of ways of working out the answer and you can get marks for your workings). With essays, there is often no specific answer and you can get marks for making valid points. I think the subjects are of equal importance, someone may have a gift for solving complicated algebra, but may find writing an analytical essay difficult, and vice versa.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.