The Student Room Group

Why do people claim benefits?

Discuss.
So they don't starve?
because our politicians legislate policies which allow people to do things like this; if there was a policy that allowed me to get free things how exactly could I decline? I'd like to line my pockets just as much as the next person
Reply 3
easier than getting a job for most people
Why not? Free money. Don't have to work.
Because they are unable to work or find work and their family can't afford to support them?

The elderly, the mentally or physically handicapped, recent school leavers/graduates, people who got made redundant, worked contracts and contract finished before a new one was made, people who work but can't get enough hours to live on, people who had a partner that provided the sole income and then died or left perhaps meaning they have a 10 or 20 year gap in their cv making them an unattractive prospect for an employer. So many reasons beyond a willful refusal to work.

And because these threads are always started because OP thinks the government should rein in benefits for scroungers- benefit fraud loses a miniscule amount of money in comparison to corporate tax evasion but those who benefit legitimately are the very neediest and most deserving of charity.
Depends. If it were me, so I and/or my family can continue living a healthy life in the odd chance that I became unemployed with no friends/family to support me. The last thing people need is to be unable to feed their children or go through the vicious cycle of homelessness and probably costing the taxpayer more in the long run thanks to the need for the NHS to treat people sick as the result of poverty.
Reply 7
Original post by UnStoppableAgain
Discuss.

Because they need to eat.
Reply 8
Some people get benefits and they work illegally... And some, require financial support to survive, the government is getting enough tax as it is. They should at least help those who need it ?
Reply 9
lol I do not understand why people automatically assume that a person who is on benefits does not work. There are several types of benefits available in this country. My mother has two jobs, she works everyday in the morning and then in evening. However, we are still entitled to some benefits as they are low paid jobs. Please do not get me wrong. There are a loads of people in this country who live off benefits and have never worked in their whole life. The system is flawed and new policies should be put in place. However, we should stop assuming that everyone who is on benefits is lazy, does not work and he/she is not trying to work their way up in life and get off benefits.
There are many reasons. Such as:
*They are disabled and so unable to work
* They are a full time carer for a relative (e.g. a child or partner) who is ill or disabled
* They are unemployed and are looking for work
* To help top up their income if they are on low income
* They cant be bothered to work and would rather live on benefits

Im sure theres more reasons but these are all i can think of at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest