The Brits have it right: forget Happy Holidays, just wish people Merry Christmas

Watch
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Wow, the Guardian doesn't actually hate traditional British culture for a change. What on Earth is happening?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...happy-holidays
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Or you know... you could say the British thing which is Happy Christmas. Merry Christmas is for Americans.

p.s Happy Christmas, everybody. Have a smashing day!
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For all these horror stories in the press about people being offended about Christmas I cannot say I have ever come across anything of the sort
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

How about, ''Happy SHUT THE **** UP!?'', and end this pointless arguement.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
Or you know... you could say the British thing which is Happy Christmas. Merry Christmas is for Americans.

p.s Happy Christmas, everybody. Have a smashing day!
Never heard that before, I didn't realise either was more American than the other. I can believe that was the case at one point, but "Merry Christmas" is well enough established here for it to no longer count as an American phrase.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Merry Christmas was first invented by Charles Dickens it is British
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Happy 'whatever doesn't offend you'!
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have a nice day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheLoveDoctor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no, britain doesn't have a separation of church and state, so it can get away with this. America has the first amendment against the establishment of a particular religion.
why should a state government be saying "happy *this religion, not others*" when it isn't meant to be guiding people into one specific religion over the other? if you're going to actually have a separation of church and state, you can't give preference to a religion like that, you just can't unless your reasoning is majoritarian, but the constitution of the USA isn't majoritarian, it's individualistic. it protects individuals from being subject to being led into religions from an authority of the state, which has the power of the police and the military on its side when it tells you "celebtrate this christianity holiday happily" (that's subjectively the message)
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a strange phenomenon really.

At some point, someone in a junior position, at a council somewhere, made a very, very stupid remark. Picture the scene - the council's November meeting, and all is quiet. When, keen to impress, Mr Junior Member moots the idea of renaming the lights "winter lights." His idea is struck down. But, quicker than a flash, a Daily Mail journo has heard of the goings on in the council meeting. Not wanting to let the facts get in the way of a good, and seasonal, "political correctness gone mad" story, they run it. The next day, we wake up to the news that Christmas is banned!

The council's pleas for calm are not heard. "This is not policy" they say. "We love Christmas" they cry. But they go ignored and we (well, the right wing press at least) look for someone to blame. They soon find a target. The Muslims. That's right - the ones who ruined every Marks and Spencer customer's Christmas. They have form - they are experienced bringers of gloom, well versed in removing all that is pure and Christian from this once great country.

But it remains the fact that the whole thing which started this was rubbish. However, it soon starts becoming reality. A few people are taken in by the story and believe it. Soon, it does actually start affecting the way things are done. My friend at work organised one of our parties this year. "Of course it isn't actually Christmas themed" he said, "You just can't risk offending people - you know those stories you read..."

Sigh.

And there is nothing we can do. No number of soundbites from some bloke at the Muslim Council of Great Britain, where they state the bleeding obvious - that muslims really don't mind us celebrating Christmas, will dispel the myths which pop up at this time of year.

It has just become a seasonal thing now. Every year, sometime in late October or early November, we are told that Christmas has been banned, thin end of the wedge, things will get worse, buy your burka now, hell in a hand basket etc etc. Then, every year, Christmas happens - like it always has done.

p.s. Been drinking since early this morning. If this reply is not relevant to the thread, please excuse me. Merry Drinkmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads