The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE in yr 10

Hi guys, recently found out i got an A* in my mock exam for maths and that i'll be doing it at the end of this year. Did anyone find it stressful doing the exam early? Was there added pressure to fo well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatawesomekid
Hi guys, recently found out i got an A* in my mock exam for maths and that i'll be doing it at the end of this year. Did anyone find it stressful doing the exam early? Was there added pressure to fo well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's less stressful surely as you only have one exam to prepare for rather than several?

If you got an A* in your mock and you do some revision, you will get an A* in the actual exam. What will you do in Year 11 to keep up your mathematics?
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
It's less stressful surely as you only have one exam to prepare for rather than several?

If you got an A* in your mock and you do some revision, you will get an A* in the actual exam. What will you do in Year 11 to keep up your mathematics?

I think we'll be following the additional maths thingy but our teacher said he might introduce us to core 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by arkanm
I did this and then did AS in year 11. If you got an a* in the mock then go for it. when i sat it in year 10 i didnt do any past papers (didnt even know they existed at the time! :tongue: ) so i ended up revising by watching gcse maths videos online for a whole day. worked fine. (i think it was youtube.com/maths247)

Okay thanks, I'm using so many books and videos for revision atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think we'll be following the additional maths thingy but our teacher said he might introduce us to core 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Additional Maths is a stretching and interesting course. Being "introduced" to Core 1 is fine but resist any effort to enter you early for an exam (to be honest you will already understand most of the Core 1 content due to the overlap with Additional Maths).
Good luck on the maths GCSE, I got A* on my Maths mock aswell:biggrin:, but I'm doing it next year as it's school policy, but I'm gonna be doing Statistics GCSE along with it.

Edit: I'm in year 10 also btw
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Additional Maths is a stretching and interesting course. Being "introduced" to Core 1 is fine but resist any effort to enter you early for an exam (to be honest you will already understand most of the Core 1 content due to the overlap with Additional Maths).

Okay thanks, I'll talk to my teacher to see if he wants us to do a core 1 exam too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Good luck on the maths GCSE, I got A* on my Maths mock aswell:biggrin:, but I'm doing it next year as it's school policy, but I'm gonna be doing Statistics GCSE along with it.

Edit: I'm in year 10 also btw

It feels great to have got an A*! We were going to do statistics but our teacher went a bit mental and wants us not too unlike the rest of the school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Got an A* in Year 10, only disadvantage was that when I came to do A Level maths I had forgotten so much that I ended up not doing it :/
Reply 9
I did it in year 10 got an A though :frown: had to retake this November for an A*. But seeing as you are able to get an A* in your mock then I would go for it. Additional maths is pretty good, our school let us take AS maths in year 11 instead. But yeah best of luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by bunny96
Got an A* in Year 10, only disadvantage was that when I came to do A Level maths I had forgotten so much that I ended up not doing it :/

That is something I'm thinking about because if i do it this year i might not pay much attention in class next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Super199
I did it in year 10 got an A though :frown: had to retake this November for an A*. But seeing as you are able to get an A* in your mock then I would go for it. Additional maths is pretty good, our school let us take AS maths in year 11 instead. But yeah best of luck :smile:

What was it like taking the AS earlier? And thanks (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
What was it like taking the AS earlier? And thanks (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing it at the moment. It's fairly easy, C1 is really simple so if you do end up doing the additional maths thing you will find AS maths a breeze. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Super199
Im doing it at the moment. It's fairly easy, C1 is really simple so if you do end up doing the additional maths thing you will find AS maths a breeze. :smile:

Okay, thanks for the help! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start C1 next year, believe me.

A levels are extremely hard, anyone not doing film studies will tell you.

Unless you're going for med, do C1 next year and then complete C2 during the Summer
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did mine in year 9. Don't worry it was actually less stressful because you've got less exams to focus on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Lord Frieza
Start C1 next year, believe me.

A levels are extremely hard, anyone not doing film studies will tell you.

Unless you're going for med, do C1 next year and then complete C2 during the Summer

I also am interested in further maths, should i ask my teacher for lessons on on that too for next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It feels great to have got an A*! We were going to do statistics but our teacher went a bit mental and wants us not too unlike the rest of the school

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep it does! He/she went a bit mental? Why? It's not that hard, and it prepares you for S1 in a-level maths (i think).
Reply 18
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Yep it does! He/she went a bit mental? Why? It's not that hard, and it prepares you for S1 in a-level maths (i think).

He is very ambitious and expects us to be world class mathematicians, anyways statistics is part of the gcse syllabus so he just wanted us to crack on with the gcse and get it over and done with

Posted from TSR Mobile
He is very ambitious and expects us to be world class mathematicians, anyways statistics is part of the gcse syllabus so he just wanted us to crack on with the gcse and get it over and done with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, but Statistics would've perhaps, as I mentioned before, prepare you for S1 in AS maths, and given you an extra A*/A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending