The Student Room Group

Girls - Whats your opinion on guys who wear lifts?

Hi all,

Just wondering on what peoples (particularly girls) opinions are on guys who wear lifts? Many 'short' celebrities like Simon Cowell, Tom Cruise, Mark Walberg are famous for it, often to improve their posture in an attempt to hide their height and make them less short.

After seeing the results of this poll done recently - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=38189 which in all didn't suprise me, I knew 5'8 would come out on top, I've seen 5'8 banded around so many times on so many forums and dating sites that its a figure that honestly, has got into my head now.

I'm 5'7.5 barefoot at my lowest towards the end of the day, I wake up just over 5'8 and for most of the time I am in the 5'7.5 - 5'7.75 region (the lowest I have ever measured myself after very long exhausting days is 5'7.4), so I call myself 5'7.5.

Now I'm a little worried about my height (evidently :colondollar:), after seeing a lot opinions and that I am agonisingly just shy of that important 5'8 mark I'm thinking about changing footwear, just to eliminate the height issue if I can.

From research, most guys almost all wear shoes in the 0.5-1.5 inch range. I have very worn nike shoes currently that only add roughly 0.65 inch to my height, that means I lose out to a lot of guys my own height because most of them are wearing thicker shoes than me looking taller.

I'm considering getting new shoes/trainers that are thicker. Do most girls think that guys who deliberately wear thicker shoes (particularly lifts) to cover up their height come across as a bit of an insecure prat? Or is justified and acceptable do you think for 'short guys'?
Reply 1
Original post by Sharpshooter
Hi all,

Just wondering on what peoples (particularly girls) opinions are on guys who wear lifts? Many 'short' celebrities like Simon Cowell, Tom Cruise, Mark Walberg are famous for it, often to improve their posture in an attempt to hide their height and make them less short.

After seeing the results of this poll done recently - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=38189 which in all didn't suprise me, I knew 5'8 would come out on top, I've seen 5'8 banded around so many times on so many forums and dating sites that its a figure that honestly, has got into my head now.

I'm 5'7.5 barefoot at my lowest towards the end of the day, I wake up just over 5'8 and for most of the time I am in the 5'7.5 - 5'7.75 region (the lowest I have ever measured myself after very long exhausting days is 5'7.4), so I call myself 5'7.5.

Now I'm a little worried about my height (evidently :colondollar:), after seeing a lot opinions and that I am agonisingly just shy of that important 5'8 mark I'm thinking about changing footwear, just to eliminate the height issue if I can.

From research, most guys almost all wear shoes in the 0.5-1.5 inch range. I have very worn nike shoes currently that only add roughly 0.65 inch to my height, that means I lose out to a lot of guys my own height because most of them are wearing thicker shoes than me looking taller.

I'm considering getting new shoes/trainers that are thicker. Do most girls think that guys who deliberately wear thicker shoes (particularly lifts) to cover up their height come across as a bit of an insecure prat? Or is justified and acceptable do you think for 'short guys'?

I would find it odd and obsessive that someone had looked into whatever these 'lifts' are. Never heard of them before now. The height wouldn't be the killer; the insecurity would. Just asked my other half and he thinks he's about 5'6-5'7. I'm 5'5-5'6 (both of us probably closer to 5'6). It doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Your height is fine, honestly. :smile: You don't need lifts. And I think the idea of men's lifts is kind of goofy anyway!
Reply 3
Wear lifts if you want, I don't see how it's any different to a girl wearing make-up
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove
I would find it odd and obsessive that someone had looked into whatever these 'lifts' are. Never heard of them before now.

To be honest I have quite a negative view of shoelifts myself, just wondering what other peoples opinions are, because women wear heels for example, some may say its justifiable.

I have considered thicker trainers and still am, but at the same time I am contimplating wearing the shoes I have, just not giving a crap about my height, looking confident might be the best option.
Reply 5
It's not really an issue, what you should be worried about however is how you'd look like when you take them off and she sees that for the first time. Just be yourself man and don't put girls on a pedestal (no pun intended) and whatever you do, don't have a Napoleon complex, that's the worst thing.
It's the sort of thing people will judge you negatively on if they notice and probably positively on if they don't.
Reply 7
Original post by Sharpshooter
Hi all,

You ain't that short I am 5'5" so like guys who are taller than me so I kind of have to look upto them but you are not short 5'2" is short but guys who were shoes to make themselves taller do kind of annoy me tbf. I would much prefer to be with a guy who is 5'7" point whatever in flat shoes, pumps or trainers, than a guy who is 5'7 point whatever who wears flatforms tbf.
Do what you want if it makes you happy.

The way I see it is it's exactly like how girls wear make up or those body shaping things or how people get tans, or, like, I dunno, push up bras? The list goes on! Everyone does all this stuff because it helps their confidence and makes them happy, even if it's temporary. If this makes you happy then do it. :borat:
They're manlets trying to pretend that they're not manlets.

Yours,

6ft5 alpha male.
I don't think I have ever heard of someone measuring themselves at different points of the day to find their peak height time. My 5'7" mum adores my 5'3" step dad. She divorced my real dad and he is 5'10". Height did not make him the better catch. Stop worrying about it and maybe stop the research project you seem to have made of it, its not going to help you meet a girl.
Original post by Quilverine
I don't think I have ever heard of someone measuring themselves at different points of the day to find their peak height time.

You should go to celebheights.com - literally every celeb, especially all the controversial ones have posters arguing about every fraction. And of course that brings about people who are also a bit anal about their heights and whatnot. I've just stated it because I could bullsh!t and say 5'8, but really I'm not and I'm a bit paranoid about my height. :tongue:

HenryKissinger
They're manlets trying to pretend that they're not manlets.

Yours,

6ft5 alpha male.

I have a friend who is 6'5.5. Group of girls asked him how tall he was and said 6'4. Feels insecure about it I think.
Reply 12
matt smith wears lifts as the dr

Quick Reply

Latest