The Student Room Group

HELP!!! with Law study please!!

I don't really know how to begin...

I feel frustrated. I have always wanted to study law. I learned it before coming to uni... kind of introduction one. I worked in the court for 2 summers and I love it. So there is no question about my love for law.

However,when I actually study it in university, i feel like it overwhelms me. I really want to read books... but whenever I start reading, I find myself doing something else to avoid reading it in the next 3-4 minutes. It does not necessary mean that I have to go on facebook or here posting something... but I also do something like tidying up my room, cooking, hovering, going for a walk, or even going to the gym.

This might also be because English is not my first language.. so I find it quite hard to understand, but someone said that learning law is like learning a new language.. is it true that even the native speakers find it difficult to deal with?

I just feel like i'm not motivated anymore. One minute I can be like I'm going to get my work done and do it really well. But when I start doing it...again... I fail... and try to do something else... this is like my vicious circle.

If anyone has any study tips please please help me with this.

I know this is a matter of my mind.. no one else could not really help.. but at least some suggestions will do :smile:

Merry Christmas! x
Reply 1
Original post by lullaiiz
I don't really know how to begin...

I feel frustrated. I have always wanted to study law. I learned it before coming to uni... kind of introduction one. I worked in the court for 2 summers and I love it. So there is no question about my love for law.

However,when I actually study it in university, i feel like it overwhelms me. I really want to read books... but whenever I start reading, I find myself doing something else to avoid reading it in the next 3-4 minutes. It does not necessary mean that I have to go on facebook or here posting something... but I also do something like tidying up my room, cooking, hovering, going for a walk, or even going to the gym.

Congratulations! You sound like every other law student in the world. :tongue:

This might also be because English is not my first language.. so I find it quite hard to understand, but someone said that learning law is like learning a new language.. is it true that even the native speakers find it difficult to deal with?

I can't speak for everyone. But I certainly felt that way and English is my first language.

I just feel like i'm not motivated anymore. One minute I can be like I'm going to get my work done and do it really well. But when I start doing it...again... I fail... and try to do something else... this is like my vicious circle.

If anyone has any study tips please please help me with this.

I know this is a matter of my mind.. no one else could not really help.. but at least some suggestions will do :smile:

Chronic procrastination. You sound a lot like me. To be honest, I never actually managed to start studying on time. I turned into one of those people who only worked well under pressure. Therefore, at the beginning of Easter Break, once the countdown to exams began in earnest, I would freak out and start studying like a madman and get all my work done. Everyone has a different system.
Reply 2
I feel you :/
I'm in the same position, except that I'm in my second year.
Maybe you should try by knowing what your learning style is?
I discovered that i am an auditory learner, so i have my computer read to me, and instead of writing tones of notes, I record myself talking and listen to it over and over again while I procrastinate, to make me feel better! [while i exercise, skin care, etc!]
Reply 3
Original post by arrowhead
Congratulations! You sound like every other law student in the world. :tongue:

I can't speak for everyone. But I certainly felt that way and English is my first language.

Chronic procrastination. You sound a lot like me. To be honest, I never actually managed to start studying on time. I turned into one of those people who only worked well under pressure. Therefore, at the beginning of Easter Break, once the countdown to exams began in earnest, I would freak out and start studying like a madman and get all my work done. Everyone has a different system.

oh thank you for this! maybe I might be the same haha
Reply 4
Original post by ArBell
I feel you :/
I'm in the same position, except that I'm in my second year.
Maybe you should try by knowing what your learning style is?
I discovered that i am an auditory learner, so i have my computer read to me, and instead of writing tones of notes, I record myself talking and listen to it over and over again while I procrastinate, to make me feel better! [while i exercise, skin care, etc!]

Thank you. That is a very good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending