LolitaM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello.
I am a student at Ralph Thoresby School, I am currently in year 11 and I'm trying to choose where to go for sixth form.
I've spoke to my family and looked at league tables for sixth forms and where I currently live the schools aren't that high out there, they are average and all the sixth forms have pretty similar a/as points- they are all around a 1000. The school I am currently attending is decent, but not outstanding, I like the atmosphere, I know all the pupils and I feel comfortable in my school although I am worried if ill be able to do as well because the league table shows that my school isn't that good. Since all schools in Leeds are pretty similar my mother suggested for us to move to a new place where education is much better. I have the choice of Kent, Birmingham and London. Although I am not that keen on Birmingham and London. I've looked at schools in these cities, went to a couple of open days and the schools are quite different from the school I am currently in. The other schools are much bigger, the students seemed more mature and the facilities are better. Although it would be a great opportunity, I am still not too sure on it as it would be very hard for me to adapt to a new environment quickly and start a new sixth form without knowing anyone in the city at all and not even knowing who to talk to while going through difficult time, I am worried that this could affect my study at sixth form. Moving to a new place is extreme, so is it worth it? I am quite happy with my current school and I like the teachers there, although after comparing my school to the ones in Kent/Birmingham I am not as confident that my school will be able to get me the highest grades anymore. Therefore I want someone's advice, is it worth moving just because of some league tables and better facilities? Should I stay in my current sixth form just because I feel more comfortable with my friends there?
Please help I am not sure what to do
Thank you in advance.
*also I know that I will probably make new friends, but I have moved countries before and I know how difficult it was loosing all my friends and having a fresh start and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. I am also worried that I might not like the new teachers if I move, as I got used and am happy with the teachers here :/. One other concern is that I am currently in a relationship that had lasted over a year and a half and I honestly think it would be incredibly hard to loose him, which could also affect my learning if I moved... I know it's my future we are talking about and this is just a high school relationship, but he does mean a lot to me and I'm scared that leaving him would leave me wondering what would have happened and distracting me a lot... But if I stay in Leeds I am not sure if it would bring me the best grades. I am ready to learn and to work hard but I'm thinking it could be easier in other schools. I've also read that it is not worth going to a new sixth form unless it is better and different from the school you are attending now, therefore I am not too keen on other sixth forms in leeds, because as I said the league tables do not show a significant difference.
Sorry for blabbing on, just wanted to put as much info as I can
3.14eater
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I moved schools this year, and it was the greatest thing I have ever done because of all the quirky new characters I met going about school, I knew absolutely nobody at my new school but now I do, and one of my best friends moved across country. You could, however stay at your current school and supplement what you learn with online sources, the decision is up to you, but I would suggest moving schools (but maybe not across the country :P).

Just remember that it's easy to make yourself look good on league tables/OfSTED

3.14eater
Keyenesian
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be totally honest A-levels is down to you.. A decent school may provide you with higher quality equipment but that's about it. I didn't read your whole post but you need to understand if you want to succeed you have to put your own effort on revision/learning outside of school hours. I go to the crappiest school in the country where they averaged BCC for AS this year and I came out with AAB after getting terrible GCSE results because I put the work in myself. Regardless of your decision, all the best!

Education > Current Relationships (chances are it won't last)
LolitaM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you for your advise :3 I guess schools do not make that much of a difference then, as long as you work hard...
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's up to you what grades you get, there are text books and revisions guides for nearly every subject and exam board, and the specifications and past papers are online. All you need is a bit of motivation and there's no reason not to get good grades.
EvasiveRose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's true. If the other schools have a similar point score than I wouldn't leave the comfort of your own school where you know everyone including the teachers (who will be your best asset during A-Levels) behind. It wouldn't be worth it. Plus, as the above user mentioned A-Levels are more about how high your drive to succeed is rather than the school you're at.
If you're current school can adequately prepare you for you're A-Levels and you're willing to do extra work, then I'd say stay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads