Can't decide between an iPhone 5s and a Samsung S4!!

Watch
username1075708
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I have a Samsung S4. I got it in June/July, on contract from Three. There was no upfront cost and it costs £33 a month for 500 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which is great for me, and they're apparently giving me 4G in January for free waheyy!

Thing is, I won an iPhone 5s and have been using that. I want to sell one but I really can't decide between the two.

I love photography but don't always carry my phone around with me. If i'm out in the day, or at night, I always find that the iPhone's photos are much better. The Samsung S4 barely picks anything up in the dark.

I love the design of the 5s, but the Samsung S4's screen is so much bigger and more HD... it's so good to use! Android also seems better than iOS. I find the battery life is about the same (the S4 is meant to have a better battery, but the screen is bigger and it does more like NFC etc so I suppose it evens that out).

Which do I keep?
wannabeaca
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
iPhone 5S. I don't like the Android OS.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oooh, that's a tough one! You've found the advantages and disadvantages of both devices and they seem to balance each other out.

Personally, I'd sell the 5S as it's newer and you'd make more money from it, but I also prefer Android to iOS as it better fits my needs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Olombus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
keep the android
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
5s, get a lot more money and Android software is not as restrictive as iOS.

Yeah, pictures aren't great to be honest, so I could see that being a issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Georgiina_Tee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just upgraded from android to 5s, apple is way more restrictive, but I've found apps like Twitter Instagram and even the TSR app have been way more programmed to work better. (like there's more features)

In my experience iPhones last longer (as long as you don't smash the screen) I had an iPhone 3GS in 2011 and got a Htc sensation XE in 2012 the 3GS is still faster than my HTC although my Htc was nearing its full capacity.

Plus I think iPhones have the better cameras so I'd sell the S4 and keep the iPhone. Especially if loads of your friends have apple devices, face times pretty cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Oooh, that's a tough one! You've found the advantages and disadvantages of both devices and they seem to balance each other out.

Personally, I'd sell the 5S as it's newer and you'd make more money from it, but I also prefer Android to iOS as it better fits my needs.

I'm torn between an iphone, Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and a HTC One.

Since you're using a HTC One, would you recommend it or tell me to steer clear?
IntriguedUser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you like wasting £10~ a month then get the 5S.

Your paying around £10 a month more for Fingerprint locking, pointless.
xDave-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd keep the iPhone personally. The UI just looks and feels nicer to me, and I suppose that's what the experience is about. The main thing I prefer is the keyboard on iOS, I can type way better with the autocorrect on here than on Android. Plus I like smaller phones, no way I could use something the size of the Galaxy. Does it really need to be that big?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IntriguedUser)
If you like wasting £10~ a month then get the 5S.

Your paying around £10 a month more for Fingerprint locking, pointless.
That's a good way of putting it! haha

It depends on your needs. I prefer Android because there's more flexibility. You can have a much more personalised home screen, compared to the iPhone which is just apps and folders.
DeemzBeamz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you checked galaxy note 3? I highly recommend it

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
I'm torn between an iphone, Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and a HTC One.

Since you're using a HTC One, would you recommend it or tell me to steer clear?
S4 mini seems like the odd one out there. The HTC One and the normal S4 are so evenly matched fwiw.

I'd happily recommend the One. Just don't drop it too many times. I've had mine since they came out and it's looking a little battered tbh. I'd imagine the S4 lasts longer due to it being plastic.

Regarding iPhone, I don't like iOS, but if you can be happy within its walled garden, then it's a really decent device.

PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The HD screen on the S4 is a major improvement over the small screen on the iphone 5s. iOS updates tend to slow older devices down, I updated my old iphone 4s to iOS 7 the other day and there's noticeably more lag than before. Both phones would last about 2-3 years before they are outdated.

I would probably sell the 5S and keep the S4, since the 5S will probably sell for more.
DeemzBeamz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 2scotty)
Hi!

I have a Samsung S4. I got it in June/July, on contract from Three. There was no upfront cost and it costs £33 a month for 500 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which is great for me, and they're apparently giving me 4G in January for free waheyy!

Thing is, I won an iPhone 5s and have been using that. I want to sell one but I really can't decide between the two.

I love photography but don't always carry my phone around with me. If i'm out in the day, or at night, I always find that the iPhone's photos are much better. The Samsung S4 barely picks anything up in the dark.

I love the design of the 5s, but the Samsung S4's screen is so much bigger and more HD... it's so good to use! Android also seems better than iOS. I find the battery life is about the same (the S4 is meant to have a better battery, but the screen is bigger and it does more like NFC etc so I suppose it evens that out).

Which do I keep?
This will be long but please keep reading.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I'm on contract with Orange paying £28 a month, in total I'm paying £692 over the course of 24 months.
I get unlimited Text and Calls aswell as 1GB of internet. However I don't have 4G but the phone is compatible with it. So I can upgrade later.

I would highly recommend this phone. Large 1080p screen.
4k camera quality and video playback.
3GB RAM
Latest android OS v4.3 jellybean
Chipset: Qualcomm snapdragon 800
CPU: Quadcore 2.3 KHz krait 400
And a massive Li-Ion 3200 mAh battery
And a removable battery unlike the iPhone
Also you have the S-Pen which is really useful once you get used to it.

Honestly the best phone I've ever owned.

The only downside is that you may find it too big. Mine fits in my jean pockets but it does slightly pop out so you should be careful when bending. However I'm a female and our jean pockets tend be small and pointless anyway :P so this may be slightly different if you're a male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
emobambam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
definitely a Samsung s 4
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Keep the S4. While yes the 5S is a 'good' phone, most features that are 'better' than the S4 can't even be took full advantage of... for example it's 64 bit processor, while it's great the vast majority of phone users are still stuck with 32 bit processors so the bulk of developers are still developing 32 bit applications so the 64 bit processor can't really be took full advantage of.

As already mentioned android is also a lot less restrictive than IOS and if Siri is something you really want, android has a replacement for that too, Google Now. While it is arguably less developed, it is constantly being improved using the masses of data Google collects. It also predicts what you are going to do at certain times (e.g. travel to work) it will tell you what time to leave to make sure you're on time. It's a really smart application. Of course that means you need to let Google look into a lot of your personal information for that to work at its best but if you've been using an android phone or own a gmail account you probably already do this anyway :P .

One of the comments about them lasting longer above I think is ridiculous.... Yes an iPhone (being a top of the market phone) is going to last longer than a mid-range android sort of phone, but if you compare to a higher end phone such as the S3 or S4 then they are about the same.

Either way I'd definitely advise you to keep the S4
timeforchange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

Which do I keep?
Have you decided which one to sell? How much do you want for it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
username1075708
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by timeforchange)
Have you decided which one to sell? How much do you want for it?

Sold them both and got a Nexus 5 lol
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
S4... I would not change Android for anything in the market right now!
timeforchange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sold them both and got a Nexus 5 lol
Are you liking it so far? Does it only work on O2?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads