ucb, carnegie mellon, cornell, upenn and georgia tech

Watch
takshi95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey all,
i received 7A*s for my IGCSEs and all A's for AS. I took chemistry,physics, maths and further maths for my A levels.
my extra curricular activities include being student council member, hindustani vocalist, math tutor and quiet a bit of volunteer work and a research project.
SAT2(was not too great) 750( maths) and 740(chem)
my SAT1 was horrid and i got 1930 with a 750 in maths.
asian female applying to college of chemical engineering.
chances at CMU, UCB ,UPENN and Georgia tech.
Vort
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friends are at some of these places (read UCB, Georgia Tech).

i received 7A*s for my IGCSEs and all A's for AS. I took chemistry,physics, maths and further maths for my A levels.
This is good. I think that this would easily at par with what these colleges expect.

my extra curricular activities include being student council member, hindustani vocalist, math tutor and quiet a bit of volunteer work..
This is all good. But, apart from being a math tutor, I am not sure how all of this relates to your engineering aspirations. Did you do any research work? That is vital.

SAT2(was not too great) 750( maths) and 740(chem)
So-So. Not the best scores but definitely not the best. Should be around/above 750.

my SAT1 was horrid and i got 1930 with a 750 in maths.
I really think that 1930 when applying to proper US Colleges like these is under par.

Really depends on your Recommendations and Essays. But, In my honest opinon, (which I hope you are looking for and not some one to give you false confidence) you are slightly reaching.

Please tell me how it goes.

Vort
takshi95
Rep:
?
thank you Vort.
yes i do have some research work.
i really did work on my SATs but scored exactly the same score as last time and i am aware that my scores are on the lower end and can jeopardize my chances of getting into these universities. hoping my essays pull up my application.:/
Vort
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Happy to be of help.
Karchii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sorry but I think you have a really bad chance. You don't need to be academically brilliant to go to these schools. However, in the eyes of the admission board, you must show that you are able to keep up with their rigorous programs.

Your GCSE's and A-Level are exactly up to par, but your SAT Reasoning score is appalling. What did you get in your critical reading/writing?

For your extra curricular's, I'd consider them under average. What makes you different to everybody else? What makes you unique? Do you have any math/science extra curricular's? You need to portray yourself as somebody who has is passionate, hard working and a great fit in the school. The international applicants are very competitive. There are applicants who are athletes that have achieved awards in International Olympiad's, made their own non-profit charity organizations, made their own company's, etc. These are the type of people you will be up against (a bit of an exaggeration but you get the gist).

If you are able to retake your SAT Reasoning, try to achieve at least 700's on the writing and critical reading sections. In your essays, make sure you portray yourself exactly who YOU ARE, not somebody you think the admission board would like to see, if your funny - try show that. If you serious - show that. You really need to give an outlet of your personality, your character. This is the only time the examiner can hear from you, not your exam results or your recommendations, but your voice.

Good luck! I hope you don't take any of this as rude, I'm just being truthful and honest.
takshi95
Rep:
?
yeah my SAT scores are sad and ruining everything. i am trying to sound passionate and some of the seniors at CMU who did read my essay liked it so yeah...i am trying to give a lot of personality to my essays and that is really all that i can do atm.
thanks ya
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by takshi95)
yeah my SAT scores are sad and ruining everything. i am trying to sound passionate and some of the seniors at CMU who did read my essay liked it so yeah...i am trying to give a lot of personality to my essays and that is really all that i can do atm.
thanks ya
Hey do you mind if I ask how did your applications go? In a similar situation atm... Did you get into GT?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads