User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Problem-based learning (PBL) is a student-centered pedagogy in which students learn about a subject through the experience of problem solving. Students learn both thinking strategies and domain knowledge. The goals of PBL are to help the students develop flexible knowledge, effective problem solving skills, self-directed learning, effective collaboration skills and intrinsic motivation. Problem-based learning is a style of active learning.
I'm wondering why our education system still favours lecture-based 'rote learning'. Medical schools seem to be adapting this approach - should other areas of academia?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For some areas that have a vocational aspect to them, I can see it working (e.g. engineering). However, many subjects aren't about problem-solving, so I just can't see how it would work in areas such as the social sciences.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think this would work in schools. Medical students are generally intelligent and capable of independently filling gaps in their knowledge by memorising textbooks. Initiative and independent study go hand in hand with problem-based learning and I don't think many school children are capable of it. Well, actually, I think most children are capable of it in a subject that really interests them, but not at all in subjects that do not interest them, and unfortunately at school there will be more of those subjects for the vast majority of children.

I actually think "group work" may be a PBL approach (at least some aspects of it) and we all know how much we liked that at school.

I would be more in favour of having 20% time in schools - where for 20% of the timetable children must work on a project that they really care about, whatever that is.
skotch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
I'm wondering why our education system still favours lecture-based 'rote learning'. Medical schools seem to be adapting this approach - should other areas of academia?
PBL is being phased out of a lot of medical schools' curricula as it isn't proving very successful/a lot of students seem to hate it.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd hate it.
Slazenger
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skotch)
PBL is being phased out of a lot of medical schools' curricula as it isn't proving very successful/a lot of students seem to hate it.
what absolute rot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads