Does bullying go on in Private and Grammar schools? Watch

Blacktingz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I genuinely never thought about it.

always had the image that everyone was posh and even the slightest rule break would lead to exclusion.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blacktingz)

always had the image that everyone was posh and even the slightest rule break would lead to exclusion.
You've got a lot to learn, sonny Jim.
seaholme
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bullying exists. You can definitely be expelled or suspended much for easily for more or less any infraction. I know somebody who was expelled for taking a jumper out of lost property - obviously not right but I imagine not an expulsion offence in most places.

The thing is, bullying isn't really one of those offences. It's dealt with in-house though and I would say dealt with much more effectively than elsewhere because of the close knit nature of students and teachers. It's a more intense environment to be an individual so interventions are amplified up. At least that's my theory :P
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Definitely.

The thing is, kids are human beings. Therefore bullying happens. Especially at that young age, where they might not fully adopt morals that would move them away from bullying. Kids are often insecure, and so they might put others down, or get validation in the form of laughs, popularity etc. from other kids. Kids may not want to be bullied themselves, so join in, or not help the bullied, or not get involved at all.

And lol, grammar schools only have an entrance exam, bullying isn't fully about intelligence. To get a kid into private school, parents pay, and there may or may not be an entrance exam as well, so bullying is going to be there - although perhaps the private school would be better equipped, and have a greater incentive to combat it.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeh but it goes like this "your dad only has a rented 2013 Mercedes"
Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Bullying will always exist whether your at Eden College or a Dagenham Secondary school
Blacktingz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomsta)
Bullying will always exist whether your at Eden College or a Dagenham Secondary school
I went to a Dagenham secondary school :woo:
bluebubblegum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe not as common or severe as comprehensives, but yes bullying does happen, but still a rare event.

Posted from TSR Mobile
itssimplyme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, bullying happens - unfortunately!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Of course it does.

However, a lot of the kids at my grammar were much better .. err ... brought up than some other kids at other schools might have been. When I found out I had passed the entrance exam for my school, I was just so, so relieved that I didn't have to go to my second choice (an all girls comp:afraid:) because I was convinced I would have been murdered there.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bullying happens everywhere. Don't be under the illusion that it stops when you become an adult either. There will be bullies at university and there will be bullies in the workplace. It should become easier to avoid them though.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I'm honest, I went to an (all girls) private school and never heard of a single case of bullying, and I was by far the most likely person to be bullied if there was one (academic, not rich, odd clothing, socially inept, only one friend). Someone once made fun of my socks, for example, but no bullying. By and large everyone was extremely friendly.

I'm sure it happens, but for some reason it didn't where I was. I would attribute it to a friendly environment, possibly the fact it was all girls', possibly the fact everyone had a sheltered middle class childhood, and possibly the fact that it was one of the cheapest schools so a lot of people there were lucky to be at private school at all.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I've been to all sorts of schools, public, grammar and state primary. Experienced bullying at all three.

The public school also had a huge problem with theft amongst the students. Counterintuitive, huh.
Blacktingz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Of course it does.

However, a lot of the kids at my grammar were much better .. err ... brought up than some other kids at other schools might have been. When I found out I had passed the entrance exam for my school, I was just so, so relieved that I didn't have to go to my second choice (an all girls comp:afraid:) because I was convinced I would have been murdered there.
Yeh you would of got ripped to bits tbh.

It's like Afghanistan
Ceryni
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by seaholme)
Bullying exists. You can definitely be expelled or suspended much for easily for more or less any infraction. I know somebody who was expelled for taking a jumper out of lost property - obviously not right but I imagine not an expulsion offence in most places.

The thing is, bullying isn't really one of those offences. It's dealt with in-house though and I would say dealt with much more effectively than elsewhere because of the close knit nature of students and teachers. It's a more intense environment to be an individual so interventions are amplified up. At least that's my theory :P
Geez, I haven't heard of anyone at my school being expelled for anything that light!!! The last people I know to have been expelled had drugs in their rooms....
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Yeh you would of got ripped to bits tbh.

It's like Afghanistan
Thanks for your opinion.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course it does. All girl schools = very very *****y places.
Blacktingz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Thanks for your opinion.
Pleasure :awesome:

In all seriousness I wouldn't know mine was mixed.
Elys
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really depends.

Grammar schools are okay, can be a bit rough in early years but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle.

By year 10+ you will have formed a solid group of friends.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I get bullied at work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise