The Student Room Group

Am I Considered a Home Student?

Hi, I'm a Brit who's done undergraduate in a uni abroad and I've only just graduated. I'd like to take on postgrad back home in the UK but I'm not sure whether I apply to home fees or not, since I naturally haven't been resident in the UK for the past three years.

Please note that I have been spending all of my holidays during my period of study in the UK, in other words there hasn't passed a year without me having come to the UK at some point. I've also had my work experience done in the UK last year, and my UK bank account is active throughout the year. But naturally I've spent most of the year at my uni abroad.

Would I be eligible for home fees or am I going to have to dig out a gold mine?

Thanks.
With British citizenship you are certainly treated as a home student wherever you lived and however short you lived in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by takemecambridge
With British citizenship you are certainly treated as a home student wherever you lived and however short you lived in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply, though I'd like to know where you got your info from, especially since almost all universities I've checked say you should have been resident in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of the course.

http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/helpandadvice/money/costofliving/#tuition fees
Reply 3
It's based on residency, not nationality.

However, the regulations say you have to have lived in the UK for the past 3 years except for education. This seems to be interpreted as you need to have lived in the UK for non education purposes, but could mean going elsewhere for education is ok. Check with the unis you want to apply to and see how they read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by takemecambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Utter nonsense!
Reply 5
Original post by SemoB
Hi, I'm a Brit who's done undergraduate in a uni abroad and I've only just graduated. I'd like to take on postgrad back home in the UK but I'm not sure whether I apply to home fees or not, since I naturally haven't been resident in the UK for the past three years.

Please note that I have been spending all of my holidays during my period of study in the UK, in other words there hasn't passed a year without me having come to the UK at some point. I've also had my work experience done in the UK last year, and my UK bank account is active throughout the year. But naturally I've spent most of the year at my uni abroad.

Would I be eligible for home fees or am I going to have to dig out a gold mine?

Thanks.

I would check with the individual universities you wish to apply to as they will set the criteria for fees.
Reply 6
I thought student finance don't fund post grad courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by kumori
I thought student finance don't fund post grad courses.

They don't, but the question is about fees and not Student Finance. Postgrad UK/EU and International fees for the same course can be very different.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
They don't, but the question is about fees and not Student Finance. Postgrad UK/EU and International fees for the same course can be very different.

Ohhh my bad, sorry. Yer its probably best to ask the uni directly about what they class as what.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by SemoB
Thanks for your reply, though I'd like to know where you got your info from, especially since almost all universities I've checked say you should have been resident in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of the course.

http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/helpandadvice/money/costofliving/#tuition fees

There are regulations that govern what fees should be set. It seems as if you are implying that you have only been abroad to study, if this is the case as another poster has pointed out you are still entitled to be classed as a home student as your absence was tempory due to you studying so should not count.

If you studied elsewhere in the EU it could also be classed as the right to roam but you shouldn't need to consider this based on the above.
Reply 10
Original post by RobEllis_UK
There are regulations that govern what fees should be set. It seems as if you are implying that you have only been abroad to study, if this is the case as another poster has pointed out you are still entitled to be classed as a home student as your absence was tempory due to you studying so should not count.

If you studied elsewhere in the EU it could also be classed as the right to roam but you shouldn't need to consider this based on the above.

Sources?
Original post by Juichiro
Sources?

Knowledge and experience. If you want something online to back this up try the UKCISA website and search for fee regulations.
Reply 12
Knowledge and experience. If you want something online to back this up try the UKCISA website and search for fee regulations.

If you don't have sources to back up your claims what you said is just your opinion. ^^
If you don't have sources to back up your claims what you said is just your opinion. ^^

When I've worked as a student money advisor within a university for the last 6 years, I don't always have the sources to hand at 1am on my Xmas holidays, especially when it's things I know. The answer I gave is correct and you will find info on the UKCISA website if you can be bothered to look, if you think I'm wrong can you be more specific as to why?
Reply 14
When I've worked as a student money advisor within a university for the last 6 years, I don't always have the sources to hand at 1am on my Xmas holidays, especially when it's things I know. The answer I gave is correct and you will find info on the UKCISA website if you can be bothered to look, if you think I'm wrong can you be more specific as to why?

Fair enough. You see, sources are always requested because people have this horrible tendency of making things up. :smile:
Fair enough. You see, sources are always requested because people have this horrible tendency of making things up. :smile:

I wish I was making it up!
My friend is from Hong Kong but holds British citizenship because her dad was given British citizenship in 1980s when Hong Kong was about to be taken over by China.She never set foot in the uk until she decided to go to uni here and she applied through Ucas in Hong Kong as a home student paying home fee whereas me as a foreigner lived in the uk for nearly 5 years(dad's job) would have to pay as a foreign student.and i am very sure even people from the EU pay just slightly more than British citizens,you definitely will be treated as a home student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EU tuition fees are the same as home fees, down to the penny.
Reply 18
Thank you everyone for your input. I have mailed several universities to ask about my situation. Sadly, they're off for Christmas holiday. I'll post what they tell me here as soon as they reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending