ProNoob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all. I am currently in year 12 studying 3 AS subjects as i dropped one subject. These are AS Biology, AS Chemistry and AS Maths. I know how to revise maths. Just practice questions and use exam solutions to help me. But i do not know how to revise chemistry and biology AS. I make notes and answer questions in the OCR textbooks but when it comes to tests and exams i get bad results and it embarrases me. How can i revise effectively in these subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry_Tudor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make notes the condense them and keep writing them out
Then do past papers make them, read examiners reports!
colourpurple
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Biology/Chemistry:

Write notes out of the textbook as you get taught it in class.
Buy a exam board specific revision guide (used copies on amazon etc) and make notes out of that.
Download past papers and do them then mark. Any wrong answers: look at the markscheme answer and then try and work out why it is that & retry those.
Then closer to the time, make flash cards to use.

PS learn definitions exactly how it is in the textbook, they drop you marks for deviations.
Diagrams help for Chemistry eg for mechanisms etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JustBeing
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For Bio and Chem, i get a topic, then condense all info onto one page, like a summary page, then on the back i make questions out of all the info, they act as 'triggers' as they tell me what info i need to retain. Don't put down the information which the textbook rambles on about e.g. If talking about organic molecules, might have an intro para all about how carbon is the basis of all life etc. but just leave that, keep it to the back of your mind, but get only real bits of important info, refer to spec if unsure.

That's all i do, then you have a bunch of summary sheets, one per topic.
Once you know all the info (check understanding by answering questions you've made on back of summary sheets)
Then you do a bunch of past papers, don't even have to print them.
Just put up 3 tabs, one for the paper, one for the mark scheme, and one for examiner's report, these tell you the common mistakes students make and how to avoid.

That's it, just chill in your bed and scroll through answering questions back and forth through tabs, it's more enjoyable that way, you can pick out where you go wrong
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go through past papers and lean what the answer your exam board wants is. Seriously, the amount of questions that the exam boards recycle is absurd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drizz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make your notes out of your revision guide, textbook and the internet. Revise the notes continuously and then do exam practice papers.

Go over what went wrong and the topics you're weak on, so from there you're able to revise on topics that need improvement.
Sycopation
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Look at a chapter, e.g cell division, write out everything you know. If you missed out that extra organelles are made in interphase for preparation for mitosis, write it out 10 times and think about it. You get the jist. Exam technique as we'll

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60.27%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.7%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.28%

Watched Threads