Is teaching about conserving 'green belt' countryside + rainforests relevant now?

Watch
Heather11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Through secondary school we were taught about the 'need' to preserve both from the continued pressures for new roads/housing/industry/business/retail developments Image

Apparently miles of rainforest were being bulldozed each week for this purpose, while the British 'green belt' is meant to regulate (or stop) urban expansion into untamed green areas, downland etc.

Obviously we need loads more housing, development + infrastructure to satisfy the needs of increasing immigration, schools, motorists, transport, expanding towns/cities + improving access for everybody!!

Plus there's still massive timber + paper demand which creates loads of jobs + industries to also serve the needs of everybody! Maybe its just exaggerated ECO RACISM that teaches this need to restrict urban expansion over rainforests + the green belt
(- especially when its for social housing + the needs of immigration etc!!)

Sexy + controversial issue to debate.....ALL VIEWS welcome!! xxxxx
Rational Thinker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Heather11)
Through secondary school we were taught about the 'need' to preserve both from the continued pressures for new roads/housing/industry/business/retail developments Image

Apparently miles of rainforest were being bulldozed each week for this purpose, while the British 'green belt' is meant to regulate (or stop) urban expansion into untamed green areas, downland etc.

Obviously we need loads more housing, development + infrastructure to satisfy the needs of increasing immigration, schools, motorists, transport, expanding towns/cities + improving access for everybody!!

Plus there's still massive timber + paper demand which creates loads of jobs + industries to also serve the needs of everybody! Maybe its just exaggerated ECO RACISM that teaches this need to restrict urban expansion over rainforests + the green belt
(- especially when its for social housing + the needs of immigration etc!!)

Sexy + controversial issue to debate.....ALL VIEWS welcome!! xxxxx

Why would it be "ECO Racism"? Considering that most pressure comes to conserve comes from the political left who are not known normally for their racism? There is a need to conserve green belt countryside and rainforests as we share this planet with other animals and creatures and there is sometimes a danger of forgetting this.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We should make more things out of hemp.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Green belt countryside majority of it, Is owned by the aristocracy. In order for them to keep their "noble" position they have to limit the peasants from expanding into their land. The more cities are worth the more their land is worth.

They rake it in from rising food prices, EU grants, Renewable energy and all sorts. Whilst the rest of us are turned into debt slaves which we have to work like dogs so we can afford a tiny bit of land.
Heather11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Green belt countryside majority of it, Is owned by the aristocracy. In order for them to keep their "noble" position they have to limit the peasants from expanding into their land. The more cities are worth the more their land is worth.

They rake it in from rising food prices, EU grants, Renewable energy and all sorts. Whilst the rest of us are turned into debt slaves which we have to work like dogs so we can afford a tiny bit of land.
Clearly the green belt HAS to go!! All belts can be undone after all!!
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Heather11)
Clearly the green belt HAS to go!! All belts can be undone after all!!
oh hello
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course conservation is important. Wildlife and ecosystems bring many benefits. Forests regulate the flow of water off land and reduce the risk of flooding as well as erosion. Less disturbed areas may bring in money through tourism. And then there's the simple pleasure of being out in the countryside and observing its wildlife, for those of us who don't spend every waking minute behind a computer screen.

I live in a fairly small rural village surrounded by farmland, some ancient oak woodland, on the edge of the North York Moors, just outside the national park.
I liked growing up here and frankly I'm disgusted by the fact that in the 21st century, some people still see environmental degradation as though it is somehow a big achievement that we should be proud of. It's a disgrace that in some places, countryside like this is being destroyed and lost forever to make way for concrete in the name of "progress". Leave the countryside and green belt alone.

Conservation is definitely something which should be taught in schools more. Surveys show a lot of children in Britain don't understand about the countryside very much - some can't identify common tree species, some think non native invasive grey squirrels are a native species, etc.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Of course conservation is important. Wildlife and ecosystems bring many benefits. Forests regulate the flow of water off land and reduce the risk of flooding as well as erosion. Less disturbed areas may bring in money through tourism. And then there's the simple pleasure of being out in the countryside and observing its wildlife, for those of us who don't spend every waking minute behind a computer screen.

I live in a fairly small rural village surrounded by farmland, some ancient oak woodland, on the edge of the North York Moors, just outside the national park.
I liked growing up here and frankly I'm disgusted by the fact that in the 21st century, some people still see environmental degradation as though it is somehow a big achievement that we should be proud of. It's a disgrace that in some places, countryside like this is being destroyed and lost forever to make way for concrete in the name of "progress". Leave the countryside and green belt alone.

Conservation is definitely something which should be taught in schools more. Surveys show a lot of children in Britain don't understand about the countryside very much - some can't identify common tree species, some think non native invasive grey squirrels are a native species, etc.
Well said. The ignorance is strong in this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (578)
34.36%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.04%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads