The Student Room Group

PC games- screen 'tearing' problems

Hello

Im having a bit of a nightmare getting pc games to work.

Im new to pc gaming, as of this month.

Some games I play have these clear horizontal lines moving on the screen. Ive been told its called 'screen tearing'.

It happens a lot in Tomb Raider Anniversary which I got off steam.

I was reading that enabling 'v-sync' helps.

i enabled v-sync in the TRA setup options and it seems to have fixed the issue completely....BUT it introduced a new problem- the game now runs ultra slow, the tearing is gone but its like the character on screen is walking through invisible grease ( if you know what I mean)

Does anyone have any advice?

has anyone here had the problem?

What causes screen tearing?

Im a bit irritated about pc gaming, for this reason, consoles have always played perfectly with zero drama or configuration needed for me.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello

Im having a bit of a nightmare getting pc games to work.

Im new to pc gaming, as of this month.

Some games I play have these clear horizontal lines moving on the screen. Ive been told its called 'screen tearing'.

It happens a lot in Tomb Raider Anniversary which I got off steam.

I was reading that enabling 'v-sync' helps.

i enabled v-sync in the TRA setup options and it seems to have fixed the issue completely....BUT it introduced a new problem- the game now runs ultra slow, the tearing is gone but its like the character on screen is walking through invisible grease ( if you know what I mean)

Does anyone have any advice?

has anyone here had the problem?

Im a bit irritated about pc gaming, for this reason, consoles have always played perfectly with zero drama or configuration needed for me.

Thanks

Update the game, the drívers on the gpu, mobo bíos, etc and try again
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Update the game, the drívers on the gpu, mobo bíos, etc and try again

could it be a problem with my monitor?
Reply 3
V-Sync will always fix tearing - that is its entire purpose. It delays generating extra graphics frames until the monitor refreshes, so it all appears at once as one smooth image on the screen, effectively locking it to the refresh rate of the monitor.

V-Sync should never cause lag on its own. If anything it's likely to be down to whether it double/triple/whatever buffers, but even that should not cause a substantial amount of lag. It is most likely down to either a bug in the game or in your graphics drivers.
Reply 4

It's because the game is sending images to the monitor as soon as it can. So if the game is part way through sending an image when the monitor refreshes, it displays part of each frame.

Turning V-sync on forces the game to wait until the monitor has refreshed before generating the next image. So it locks the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor.

It can happen with console games as well, but most console games have v-sync on.
What is your hardware? You may not be well equipped to play at the settings you choose. Also I'm looking forward to Gsync next year!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Psyk
It's because the game is sending images to the monitor as soon as it can. So if the game is part way through sending an image when the monitor refreshes, it displays part of each frame.

Turning V-sync on forces the game to wait until the monitor has refreshed before generating the next image. So it locks the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor.

It can happen with console games as well, but most console games have v-sync on.

but why does v sync make my game go really slow? (it completely fixes the tearing though)
Also your monitor is capable of at least 60Hz correct? If not, then that could also explain why you get a lot of screen tear and seemingly lag when you turn on vsynch.
Reply 8
Original post by Some random guy
What is your hardware? You may not be well equipped to play at the settings you choose. Also I'm looking forward to Gsync next year!

windows 8
intel i5 3.0GHz
1TB hard drive
8gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce GT 620
Reply 9
Also your monitor is capable of at least 60Hz correct? If not, then that could also explain why you get a lot of screen tear and seemingly lag when you turn on vsynch.

yes as far as I know it can do 60Hz

I hooked up my ps3 to this monitor one time and played games like 'The last of Us' and there was no tearing

Im a bit let down by pc gaming due to this drama
Reply 10
but why does v sync make my game go really slow? (it completely fixes the tearing though)

That will be because the game is now tied to the refresh rate of the screen. For example if the game was running at 45fps and the screen has a 60Hz refresh rate (which is normally what they are), turning v-sync on will force the game to run at 30fps so it will send a new image to the monitor every other refresh.
Reply 11
Original post by Psyk
That will be because the game is now tied to the refresh rate of the screen. For example if the game was running at 45fps and the screen has a 60Hz refresh rate (which is normally what they are), turning v-sync on will force the game to run at 30fps so it will send a new image to the monitor every other refresh.

ok

what is your recommended solution to my issue?
windows 8
intel i5 3.0GHz
1TB hard drive
8gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce GT 620

I'm afraid this is the problem. That card is really low end and not for any serious gaming. You need to replace it with a better card. Make sure your motherboard and Power supply unit can accommodate it before buying though, you need a PCI-E slot on the board and a PSU unit capable of at least as many volts as the card requires. As well as space for the card physically inside your case of course.
Reply 13
ok

what is your recommended solution to my issue?

There is no solution without compromises. You could turn down graphics settings so the game can run at 60fps. Otherwise you've got no choice but to pick between screen tearing or a lower frame rate.

Or upgrade your PC as suggested above.
Reply 14
I'm afraid this is the problem. That card is really low end and not for any serious gaming. You need to replace it with a better card. Make sure your motherboard and Power supply unit can accommodate it before buying though, you need a PCI-E slot on the board and a PSU unit capable of at least as many volts as the card requires.

I know that this card is not good, BUT

Im not playing new games

I didnt get this pc for gaming, I got it for other reasons, but just took a notion to use it for gaming this month as I wanted to play some classic games

The game I'm refering to in this thread which I really want to play is Tomb Raider Anniversary which was released in 2007. Im not trying to play skyrim/crysis 3 or anything that new.

surely my GPU can handle that?
I know that this card is not good, BUT

Im not playing new games

I didnt get this pc for gaming, I got it for other reasons, but just took a notion to use it for gaming this month as I wanted to play some classic games

The game I'm refering to in this thread which I really want to play is Tomb Raider Anniversary which was released in 2007. Im not trying to play skyrim/crysis 3 or anything that new.

surely my GPU can handle that?

Evidently not. That card is the sort they fit into cheap laptops. Try scaling down the settings and see if it makes a difference. It probably will and this would prove that your GPU is just not up to scratch.

To use a console analogy, it's like trying to play The Last of Us with a PS2.
Reply 16
Original post by Psyk
There is no solution without compromises. You could turn down graphics settings so the game can run at 60fps. Otherwise you've got no choice but to pick between screen tearing or a lower frame rate.

Or upgrade your PC as suggested above.

I find that hard to believe, I played this game (Tomb Raider anniversary) on ps2 (yes, ps2 not ps3!) when it came out in 2007 and it played well with no tearing or slowdown

Is my pc lower spec for games than a ps2?
Reply 17
Evidently not. That card is the sort they fit into cheap laptops. Try scaling down the settings and see if it makes a difference. It probably will and this would prove that your GPU is just not up to scratch.

To use a console analogy, it's like trying to play The Last of Us with a PS2.

I was under the impression I just had a setting wrong
I find that hard to believe, I played this game (Tomb Raider anniversary) on ps2 (yes, ps2 not ps3!) when it came out in 2007 and it played well with no tearing or slowdown

The PC version of TRA has graphical settings higher than those on the PS3 and Xbox 360. You may be trying to play it at settings similar to those consoles or higher. Or you may actually be playing it at settings similiar to those of a PS2 but your card can't handle it, I only skimmed reading about your card but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was that bad.
Reply 19

Ok, well it's possible there is a particular reason why that game is running slowly. Try updating the graphics drivers if you haven't already.

If that doesn't help you probably will have to turn some settings down. If you've whacked all the settings up to full it probably won't run that well even if it is a fairly old game. Even though the game came out on the PS2, the PC version can at least run in higher resolutions than the PS2 did and probably can have higher detail in other aspects as well.

Is there a setting to display the frame rate in the game? If there isn't you could use this http://www.fraps.com/download.php to get it to display the framerate.

Quick Reply

Latest