The Student Room Group

Oxford-related depression

I'm studying at oxford uni and loving my course and the people I've met, but I keep having a niggling worry (enforced by people I've met) that because I'm at a less-prestigious college my achievements are far less valuable than someone at an older, rich, more famous college that people and their parents have heard of. It's a silly thing to get worked up about I know, and I sound incredible ungrateful, but snobs I inevitable cross paths with belittle me. I don't know if my confidence has been knocked or if there's a deeper inferiority complex at work, but on my downs I find myself googling for hours to find something positive to hang on to. I don't know if anyone else has had these worries before, but I could really use some advice...
advice on how not to be depressed..?
And my Prada bag is slightly smaller than all my friends'.

You're at Oxford and will do the same exams as everyone else whether at Christ Church or Regent's Park. This isn't even 'first world problems', it's 'one-percenter dilemmas'.
1.) I don't care if you're in a maggot-filled ditch behind the bike sheds of the crappiest college in the place - you're at Oxford. I know that doesn't get rid of the worries but you have to keep that in your mind: you're at a world class university.

2.) Being at a less old, rich or well known college doesn't make you a worse candidate. Yes, more competitive colleges may have a higher percentage of amazing applicants, but if you're strong, you'll get in pretty much wherever you apply.

3.) You likely know both of these things, you're just not letting yourself focus on them. Those snobs are either complete morons or they're just using the old, untrue uni clichés. Think of it this way: Once you leave Oxford, you'll have a goddamn Oxford degree, and it will be worth exactly the same, whether you went to Trinity or Lady Margaret Hall.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying at oxford uni and loving my course and the people I've met, but I keep having a niggling worry (enforced by people I've met) that because I'm at a less-prestigious college my achievements are far less valuable than someone at an older, rich, more famous college that people and their parents have heard of. It's a silly thing to get worked up about I know, and I sound incredible ungrateful, but snobs I inevitable cross paths with belittle me. I don't know if my confidence has been knocked or if there's a deeper inferiority complex at work, but on my downs I find myself googling for hours to find something positive to hang on to. I don't know if anyone else has had these worries before, but I could really use some advice...

Let's be honest, "The Oxford college that I study at isn't prestigious enough" is such a first-world problem. :p:

I know that some Oxbridge colleges have a better reputation than others, but ultimately, not everyone can go to the most prestigious ones. You're still at Oxford, so I think you just have to focus on the positives. Sure, it would always be nice to be at the most prestigious college, but you can't always have the absolutely ideal scenario in life.
I had the AS grades to apply to Oxford and indeed have higher grades than most applying at my school, but wasn't allowed to due to my GCSE grades. Before exam season during my GCSEs, I was sexually assaulted and thus didn't perform well, but that's not the sort of thing you want to tell teachers or Oxford. So, I'd be grateful you have the opportunity. Plenty of people are snooty towards me because of my GCSEs (I now go to a grammar school), and they're the same *******s who are being snooty towards you. Just ignore them, they're *****. Enjoy your time there. I'm jealous. :P Think of the outcome: an Oxford degree. No one really gives a crap about colleges in the real world.
You are a student at the highly prestigious and academic Oxford University. You got in with amazing grades and you are brilliant in your own right.The snobs are everywhere in life! Sometimes not nice people. So...be thrilled with where you are and the fab people you've met.Well done.
Reply 7
Original post by Mirri1952
You are a student at the highly prestigious and academic Oxford University. You got in with amazing grades and you are brilliant in your own right.The snobs are everywhere in life! Sometimes not nice people. So...be thrilled with where you are and the fab people you've met.Well done.

As the thread is 5 years old, they'll have graduated and maybe moved on...
Original post by Mirri1952

*were a student

gg nice bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending