The Student Room Group

Where's the best place for a good deal on a phone contract?

So I've just been looking into new contracts for my phone seeing as I'm coming to the end of my two contract with T-Mobile. Prices seem to have gone up a lot from last time! I've been with T-Mobile for a total for four years now and have generally been ok with them. I've paid £15pm for 400 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet, for a samsung galaxy portal, then an ace. The phones have been pretty standard, nothing fancy, but I thought for the price they were ok.

Have prices really changed to the point where I can't expect to pay so low anymore?
Reply 1
Tesco is actually pretty good. I know its not the 'coolest' network to go with but they do really good deals on packages on both the latest phones and older models. I have a Samsing Galaxy S2 with them and for £14 a month I get 5000 texts, unlimited internet (think its really 1GB I get though) and 1000 mins and also Clubcard points every time I pay my bill lol.
I'd recommend 3.
Original post by Yasmin25
Tesco is actually pretty good. I know its not the 'coolest' network to go with but they do really good deals on packages on both the latest phones and older models. I have a Samsing Galaxy S2 with them and for £14 a month I get 5000 texts, unlimited internet (think its really 1GB I get though) and 1000 mins and also Clubcard points every time I pay my bill lol.

+1

I'm on Tesco and it's really cheap! I bought my phone separate and got a sim-only deal so I pay £10 per month for 500 mins, 5000 texts and 1Gb data on an iPhone.

I heard GiffGaff do similar deals but they also include 0800 numbers.
Reply 4
Original post by Airfairy
So I've just been looking into new contracts for my phone seeing as I'm coming to the end of my two contract with T-Mobile. Prices seem to have gone up a lot from last time! I've been with T-Mobile for a total for four years now and have generally been ok with them. I've paid £15pm for 400 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet, for a samsung galaxy portal, then an ace. The phones have been pretty standard, nothing fancy, but I thought for the price they were ok.

Have prices really changed to the point where I can't expect to pay so low anymore?

Are you looking at sim only or contract with a new phone?

I'm having the same issue - I've always paid something like £12.50 to £15 a month for contracts but now that I'm looking for a new phone too, everything seems to be £30+ :mad:
Carphone Warehouse...

I work there in the sale team, I'm working now actually.
What about getting the handset separately and then getting a sim only contract?

Giff Gaff do some really good value for money sim only deals. They use the O2 network.
Nothing beats the price of GiffGaff!
Reply 8
If you have an NUS card, O2 give you 30% off your tariff! They split the bill into two parts - the tariff (minutes, data etc.) and the phone plan (monthly cost towards the handset) and you get money off the tariff :biggrin: I upgraded my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 5c recently, and should have been paying £32 per month, but it only costs me £26.90 with the discount (unlimited minutes/texts, 1GB data), and I didn't have to pay anything upfront :smile: It's still quite pricey, but you get access to O2 Priority Moments as well, which has loads of good discounts (I got a free coffee from Café Nero last month, and free chocolate from Hotel Chocolat!)
Reply 9
Original post by Yasmin25

I looked at Tesco because I'd heard they were good, but I couldn't see any good deals online. Maybe I should go in and ask.
Original post by Peaches and Cream
I'd recommend 3.

have 3 got better signal now? A few years back my dad was on 3 and his signal was dire so I've never checked seeing as I was put off.
Original post by Scorlibran
+1

I'm on Tesco and it's really cheap! I bought my phone separate and got a sim-only deal so I pay £10 per month for 500 mins, 5000 texts and 1Gb data on an iPhone.

I heard GiffGaff do similar deals but they also include 0800 numbers.

The sim only deals are good, I agree. My grandparents have one. I need a phone contract though ideally.
Original post by Zerforax
Are you looking at sim only or contract with a new phone?

I'm having the same issue - I've always paid something like £12.50 to £15 a month for contracts but now that I'm looking for a new phone too, everything seems to be £30+ :mad:

I need a new phone. My current one has had its day. Prices have definitely gone up! I'm hoping maybe t mobile will give me a renewal deal.

Original post by IntriguedUser
Carphone Warehouse...

I work there in the sale team, I'm working now actually.

Was tempted by them for the free tablet!

Original post by James A
What about getting the handset separately and then getting a sim only contract?

Giff Gaff do some really good value for money sim only deals. They use the O2 network.

I can't really afford a separate handset sadly. Do Giff Gaff only do sim only?
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Nothing beats the price of GiffGaff!

how is the reception on GG?
Original post by RosieEPQ
If you have an NUS card, O2 give you 30% off your tariff! They split the bill into two parts - the tariff (minutes, data etc.) and the phone plan (monthly cost towards the handset) and you get money off the tariff :biggrin: I upgraded my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 5c recently, and should have been paying £32 per month, but it only costs me £26.90 with the discount (unlimited minutes/texts, 1GB data), and I didn't have to pay anything upfront :smile: It's still quite pricey, but you get access to O2 Priority Moments as well, which has loads of good discounts (I got a free coffee from Café Nero last month, and free chocolate from Hotel Chocolat!)

I sadly don't have an NUS card. I was tricked by their bill splitting when on their website last night! I thought wow this is a good deal, then it added 15 on for the plan or something! Sneaky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

have 3 got better signal now? A few years back my dad was on 3 and his signal was dire so I've never checked seeing as I was put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had no problems with 3's signal, and I've been with them since August. I have a brilliant deal - Samsung Galaxy S3, £26 a month: free phone, unlimited data, 5000 texts and 500 minutes. A can also 'tether', using my phone as a WiFi hotspot, which is brilliant as it's how I use WiFi on my laptop - Virgin Media is bloody useless! My plan is called The One Plan.

If you want to compare plans, try uSwitch Mobile - select your criteria and compare the results, it's how I found my deal!
Reply 11
Original post by Peaches and Cream
I've had no problems with 3's signal, and I've been with them since August. I have a brilliant deal - Samsung Galaxy S3, £26 a month: free phone, unlimited data, 5000 texts and 500 minutes. A can also 'tether', using my phone as a WiFi hotspot, which is brilliant as it's how I use WiFi on my laptop - Virgin Media is bloody useless! My plan is called The One Plan.

If you want to compare plans, try uSwitch Mobile - select your criteria and compare the results, it's how I found my deal!

That is a bloody good deal. Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that. I will check it out later when I'm on a laptop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a bloody good deal. Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that. I will check it out later when I'm on a laptop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! I was really proud when I found that deal! :awesome:

As was my dad who pays part of it :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending