Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (26)
59.09%
Of the contrary, No (8)
18.18%
Abstain (10)
22.73%
This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
V621 - Treason Felony (Repeal) Bill 2013, TSR Liberal Party

The Treason Felony (Repeal) Act 2013
An Act to abolish Section 3 of the Treason Felony Act and all legislation pertaining to regulations and statutory provisions relating to the Treason Felony Act.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Statutory repeals
(1) The following Statutes are hereby repealed:
(a)Treason Felony Act 1848 (Section 3)

2. Commencement
(1) The provisions contained within this Act shall come into force on the first day of January 2014.

3 Short Title
(1) This Act may be cited as the Treason Felony (Repeal) Act 2013.

Notes
What is the Treason Felony Act?
Written in the 19th century, it fundamentally outlaws republicanism and freedom of speech around the subject of republicanism or anti-monarchy discussion. This act enforces the sentence of life imprisonment for anyone who even contemplates opposing Britain's hereditary monarchy and associated institutions.

Why abolish the Treason Felony Act?
It is a fundamental breach of our freedom of speech and expression. It is an outdated law that needs removing from the statute books. The law has not been used to prosecute anyone for many years, but it means it is still theoretically possible for anybody who even so much as imagines over throwing or declaring war on the Queen or the Monarch to be imprisoned for life. Repealing Section 3 will be a further step towards modernising the United Kingdom, in line with other democracies around the world.

Sources

Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More boring repeals of irrelevant bills from centuries ago.

a-No.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. A waste of time and resource and a naked political football. Sets a terrible precedent for the enormous volumes of defunct statute we have.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
More boring repeals of irrelevant bills from centuries ago.

a-No.
Exactly why we should repeal it. If you feel that it is not worth voting but still do not oppose it then you should have abstained.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye, an apporite measure to help modernise democracy and freedom of speech across the UK. Those who hold liberty and freedom of speech as fundamental principles would support this bill. Those who wish to neglect freedom will be the opposition.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
Exactly why we should repeal it. If you feel that it is not worth voting but still do not oppose it then you should have abstained.
I oppose it because it's a total waste of time to vote on and we've already seen at least one of these bills repealing hidden-away laws from centuries ago. It's never EVER going to be used IRL again and even if it were it would be totally unsuccessful (HRA etc). Moreover, it shows how dire things are getting on here if we spend time googling ridiculous/outrageous/[insert adjective here] antiquated legislation that will never realistically be used - this one is even worse than the last in that regard. Furthermore, it's not like anybody is going to disagree with this on any other grounds, so what's the point in doing it at all? It's like back when we had all those nonsense motions that people would obviously agree with.

Hence why I've voted no, rather than abstaining.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One has to admit that these repeals are quite pointless here. Agree with the principle, voting no to discourage from submitting further repeal bills.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this treason against the monarchy which is being repealed- or treason against the country? After all, treason against country legislation does work well in cases of people damaging wider society.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
I oppose it because it's a total waste of time to vote on and we've already seen at least one of these bills repealing hidden-away laws from centuries ago. It's never EVER going to be used IRL again and even if it were it would be totally unsuccessful (HRA etc). Moreover, it shows how dire things are getting on here if we spend time googling ridiculous/outrageous/[insert adjective here] antiquated legislation that will never realistically be used - this one is even worse than the last in that regard. Furthermore, it's not like anybody is going to disagree with this on any other grounds, so what's the point in doing it at all? It's like back when we had all those nonsense motions that people would obviously agree with.

Hence why I've voted no, rather than abstaining.
Ultimately it's your choice, but thank you for explaining why. The MHofC is just a game at the end of the day and repeal meant does nothing anyway in RL. Therefore a bill like this just brings to attention so of the laws that still exist in the UK which protect the monarchy. In terms of the HRA if hypothetically we got rid of it and a new bill of rights that's did not cover this area then this repayment would protect peoples right to freedom of expression and though against the monarch.

In terms of "googling" away old laws, we could do that but and that would be pretty pointless but as you can see from the recent Independent article which I originally read that is where the inspiration came from.

(Original post by Life_peer)
One has to admit that these repeals are quite pointless here. Agree with the principle, voting no to discourage from submitting further repeal bills.
This repellent is interesting and is hypothetically very important is illustrated in my last point to Bluemeltwater but also all bill here are pointless and things like this a just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

(Original post by PhysicsKid)
Is this treason against the monarchy which is being repealed- or treason against the country? After all, treason against country legislation does work well in cases of people damaging wider society.
Yes I agree with your point about it being about the country but this only affect treason against the monarchy. If it way against the country I would not be supporting it.

Thanks all, Will
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is no longer part of UK law, making this the emptiest of empty gestures.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Faland)
This is no longer part of UK law, making this the emptiest of empty gestures.
This is UK law and it needs to be repealed. If we got rid of the HRA and a BofR did not have a statuary measure to prevent this then such 'treason' of think about it would be punishable. This bill is also about modernising the UK from such restrictive measures and thus an easy repeal-ment is necessary for the de-facto freedom of though and speech in the UK. For a party that fundamentally disagrees with the monarchy I am surprised that you have voted against it.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I agree with your point about it being about the country but this only affect treason against the monarchy. If it way against the country I would not be supporting it.
An Aye rather than an abstain in that case.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PhysicsKid)
An Aye rather than an abstain in that case.
Hear hear, I commend the honorable gentlemen.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 26
The Noes to the left: 8
Abstentions: 10

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (176)
48.75%
No (44)
12.19%
I'm not old enough (141)
39.06%

Watched Threads