Is society scared of Muslims? Watch

DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've noticed that a lot of people are scared of Muslims, but can't say it, because of course a lot of people deem it as prejudice.
But ultimately, there are aspects of Islam that should quite rightly cause people to be scared, such as the violent hostile attitudes of many Islamic countries today towards the West (us). Also, it's understandable why people would be unnerved by not being able to see a Muslim's face. And of course Islam plays host to the Jihadist movement, and although most Muslims aren't terrorists, the faction within Islam still exists.
These are not by any means attempts to justify anti-Muslim behaviour, but it can rationalise fear towards Muslims.

Is our society full of it? An if it is, is it a bad thing or just rational as some of the reasons above seem to suggest?
peach42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its not a race if I or you could become one
DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
(Original post by peach42)
Its not a race if I or you could become one
Sorry, edited OP.
User1310602
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most people (including myself) are scared of Islam as a political force, not Muslims.
genuinelydense
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
some lunatic in the fashion industry will decide that hijabs are cool and edgy and then all of these irrational fears will drift out of people's minds
DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
(Original post by shouldbestudying)
Most people are scared of Islam as a political force, not Muslims.
But is that a normal, bad thing or neither? I mean no-one complained that the West didn't let Russia have their own opinion; Communism was a scary ideology clashing with Western culture which had to go to preserve the West. I would say that's normal.
User1310602
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DouglasAdams)
But is that a normal, bad thing or neither? I mean no-one complained that the West didn't let Russia have their own opinion; Communism was a scary ideology clashing with Western culture which had to go to preserve the West. I would say that's normal.
It's a good thing in my opinion. Not a fan of theocracy.
Truefaith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignorance can create fear.

Btw jihadists isn't the best word to use. It is often associated with terrorists and terrorists are not jihadists. Likewise, jihadists are not terrorists.

Its not only non muslims who are scared of terrorists. My people are being killed as well.

So terrorists should be dealt with and can be feared but not islam.
I wouldnt call terrorists muslims either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are scared of the Islam that is represented in the media. However, I doubt people are scared by Muslims who have integrated into society and are seen as people first, and Muslims second.
tania<3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by genuinelydense)
some lunatic in the fashion industry will decide that hijabs are cool and edgy and then all of these irrational fears will drift out of people's minds
It's happening

DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
(Original post by tania<3)
People are scared of the Islam that is represented in the media. However, I doubt people are scared by Muslims who have integrated into society and are seen as people first, and Muslims second.
Yes, but what about those, and they are numerous, who view themselves as Muslims first and 'people' second? They're entitled to this opinion by law, but is that worthy of fear?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The right question would be rather : "Do you think they should be scared?"
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really i'd say Islam is scared of us, thats why as an entity they find it difficult to express themselves. Yet allow a few wackos to do the "true" work.
rugg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shouldbestudying)
Most people are scared of Islam as a political force, not Muslims.
not really scared, but worried, I would say.

Islam is as much a personal religion as a political programme, just like communism or liberalism are

I deeply dislike the type of society that Islam advocates, so I will strongly oppose Islam, just like I would strongly oppose communism, if its supporters ever became vocal again in Europe
User1310602
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rugg)
not really sacred, but worried, I would say.

Islam is as much a personal religion as a political programme, just like communism or liberalism are

I deeply dislike the type of society that Islam advocates, so I will strongly oppose Islam, just like I would strongly oppose communism, if its supporters ever became vocal again in Europe
My sentiments exactly.
tania<3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DouglasAdams)
Yes, but what about those, and they are numerous, who view themselves as Muslims first and 'people' second? They're entitled to this opinion by law, but is that worthy of fear?
Well I think there's a definite difference between how they may be perceived by the average observer and how they perceive themselves. I know many people who are very religious but they would never harm a fly, and at the same time they hold down respectable jobs, have families and contribute to society. In that case I don't see what would cause me to be afraid of them, or anyone else for that matter

Also I suppose appearance has a lot to do with my point - if they looked intimidating and wore niqaabs (not hijaab, I think that it looks nice actually although I would presume they are religious) and had a huge tangled unkempt beard then I'll be honest, even I would wonder if they were willing to integrate, as it can be incompatible with rules of the workplace and society... There are exceptions of course but this is what my first thoughts would be, even as someone who used to be a muslim
callmemorbid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
heck im scared of the power that some "muslims" countries have *cough saudi cough* and im muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
callmemorbid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
that being said, islam should not be feared-twisted ideology/propaganda and ignorance should

Posted from TSR Mobile
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's simply a perception created by the media. The more brainless one is, the more dependent one is on external source in order to form a worldview. And we are very dependent indeed.
DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
(Original post by tania<3)
Well I think there's a definite difference between how they may be perceived by the average observer and how they perceive themselves. I know many people who are very religious but they would never harm a fly, and at the same time they hold down respectable jobs, have families and contribute to society. In that case I don't see what would cause me to be afraid of them, or anyone else for that matter

Also I suppose appearance has a lot to do with my point - if they looked intimidating and wore niqaabs (not hijaab, I think that it looks nice actually although I would presume they are religious) and had a huge tangled unkempt beard then I'll be honest, even I would wonder if they were willing to integrate, as it can be incompatible with rules of the workplace and society... There are exceptions of course but this is what my first thoughts would be, even as someone who used to be a muslim
I think I agree with you here; I've met plenty of nice Muslims who are basically Brits, but the appearance does matter.
Practically though, would it be wrong to ban the wearing of such attire in public, and follow France's example? I personally would be in favour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.05%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (303)
36.95%
No, I am unable to (203)
24.76%
No, I chose not to (225)
27.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise