Question about contract law and bankruptcies

Watch
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, quick question about contract law, it's architecture-based but I think the question is general enough to be answerable, any help/thoughts would be grand!

So there's a form of contract called Design & Build, where the client forms a contract with a contractor to design and produce a building. The contractor then hires their own design team (including an architect).

Typically, if a building is completed but then it transpires that a design fault is present caused by the architect breaching their contractual obligations to the contractor, the client would sue the contractor for the full sum, who would then in turn sue the architect.

However, if the contractor goes bankrupt, does that break the chain? Can the client directly sue the architect for a breach of contract even though the two parties were never directly linked, or can they only pursue compensation through Tort Law based on the architect acting negligently? If that's the only way to get recompense, would the compensation received be the same either way?

Thanks in advance :jumphug:
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Hey guys, quick question about contract law, it's architecture-based but I think the question is general enough to be answerable, any help/thoughts would be grand!

So there's a form of contract called Design & Build, where the client forms a contract with a contractor to design and produce a building. The contractor then hires their own design team (including an architect).

Typically, if a building is completed but then it transpires that a design fault is present caused by the architect breaching their contractual obligations to the contractor, the client would sue the contractor for the full sum, who would then in turn sue the architect.

However, if the contractor goes bankrupt, does that break the chain? Can the client directly sue the architect for a breach of contract even though the two parties were never directly linked, or can they only pursue compensation through Tort Law based on the architect acting negligently? If that's the only way to get recompense, would the compensation received be the same either way?

Thanks in advance :jumphug:
You need to look up the subject of collateral warranties which are used in the building industry to deal with precisely this situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (280)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (215)
43.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise