The Student Room Group

Björk

Sometimes I like to listen to Björk at night. Her songs affect me like no other; they make me want to feel what she has felt, what she is singing about... they make me feel full stop.

But her music videos are ****ing weird.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sometimes I like to listen to Björk at night. Her songs affect me like no other; they make me want to feel what she has felt, what she is singing about... they make me feel full stop.

I feel you.

I fell under the spell of this Icelandic creature after watching Dancer In The Dark.

I've Seen It All

Reply 2
Original post by arxtra
I feel you.

I fell under the spell of this Icelandic creature after watching Dancer In The Dark.

I've Seen It All

:cry2: :daydreaming:

I read about her role in the film a while ago; I will have to watch the whole thing at some point!
Reply 3
May I tell you Polarity that you're adorable? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yepyepyep
May I tell you Polarity that you're adorable? :smile:

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -
:cry2: :daydreaming:

I read about her role in the film a while ago; I will have to watch the whole thing at some point!

Yeah, a must-see. She basically co-created it considering it's a musical and she wrote all the music.
Reply 6
I've never got into Bjork. I think i'm put off by the fact that every mother****ing 'alternative' musician with a pulse seems to go out of their way to copy her style exactly now. It might seem like a bizarre comparison but she's like Michael Jackson to me, although undeniably talented her legacy is repulsive.
Reply 7
Original post by Jjj90
I've never got into Bjork. I think i'm put off by the fact that every mother****ing 'alternative' musician with a pulse seems to go out of their way to copy her style exactly now. It might seem like a bizarre comparison but she's like Michael Jackson to me, although undeniably talented her legacy is repulsive.

In what ways are Bjork's and MJ's musical legacies repulsive?
Reply 8
Original post by arxtra
In what ways are Bjork's and MJ's musical legacies repulsive?

Well it's just a point of view. From Michael Jackson modern pop spawned like a fetid tumor.

And Bjork, and I admit I may be wrong, but she seems to be the source of all of these 'modern' bands that I just cannot get. Songs with electronic bleeps, and squawks at every turn, artists with nonsense names like Rogue Wave or Minor Alps *shudder*, with obscure abstract album covers; things like blue smears or a blurry mountain or a pink fish... I look at the 80's; alternative music was alive, it was amazing, it was ultra inventive, everyone sounded so so different, the soul of punk and funk and glam and dance shone in it, from Prince to New Order to The Smiths or The Replacements... but now... they're all one beige studenty mass of bland... ergh.
Reply 9
Original post by Jjj90
Well it's just a point of view. From Michael Jackson modern pop spawned like a fetid tumor.

And Bjork, and I admit I may be wrong, but she seems to be the source of all of these 'modern' bands that I just cannot get. Songs with electronic bleeps, and squawks at every turn, artists with nonsense names like Rogue Wave or Minor Alps *shudder*, with obscure abstract album covers; things like blue smears or a blurry mountain or a pink fish... I look at the 80's; alternative music was alive, it was amazing, it was ultra inventive, everyone sounded so so different, the soul of punk and funk and glam and dance shone in it, from Prince to New Order to The Smiths or The Replacements... but now... they're all one beige studenty mass of bland... ergh.

Oh, in terms of their influence on others, I'd have to agree. However, like you, I don't know Bjork's extent here but when it comes to Michael Jackson I can see how the spawning of copycats from Bobby Brown and Ginuwine to Chris Brown and Justin Bieber may have done more damage to his legacy than those more creatively influenced like Janelle Monáe or Pharrell Williams.
Reply 10
Bjork backed by one of my favourite collectives, D'Influence, on one of my favourite shows, Later With Jools Holland.

Aeroplane

Reply 11
Yeah she's amazing, so compelling and a bit creepy.
Original post by arxtra
Bjork backed by one of my favourite collectives, D'Influence, on one of my favourite shows, Later With Jools Holland.

Aeroplane

Amazing! Her lyrics are so simplistic, yet they seem so effective :daydreaming:

D'Influence sounds great, I think I'll have to tell my dad about them :lol:

Original post by Plainview
Yeah she's amazing, so compelling and a bit creepy.

Creepy, definitely

Reply 13
The video for Triumph of a Heart is one of the great achievements of western art.
Original post by BJack
The video for Triumph of a Heart is one of the great achievements of western art.

of course you would say that :laugh:

one of my faves :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by + polarity -

I don't even know what she's saying but the feels :indiff:
I love Björk. Homogenic is one of my all time favourite albums. I really liked her Vulnicura and it was a return to near her best, which was great after so many kind of average albums, BUT why has she starting rolling her R's in her singing so much these days? It really gets on my nerves.

This just popped into my head :moon:
Original post by e aí rapaz
I love Björk. Homogenic is one of my all time favourite albums. I really liked her Vulnicura and it was a return to near her best, which was great after so many kind of average albums, BUT why has she starting rolling her R's in her singing so much these days? It really gets on my nerves.

this is so terrible but I was going to respond to this after I listened to Vulnicura properly and I still haven't yet and now you're gone :emo:

Quick Reply