50%
No leave them shut (8)
50%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Should UK reopen the coal mines- given that foreign energy is more expensive then ever and only increasin, the controversy over fracking and the inability of renewables to fulfill all our needs should we use coal the main natural resources the UK has
Joeman560
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes and use clean coal power stations.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are economic reasons why the coal mines shut - it's cheaper to buy it from a foreign country and ship it half way round the world than it is to dig it up ourselves.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No given that we would have to build a new generation of coal burning power stations. I'm pretty sure all the current ones are set to close in the next two or three decades.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that we should keep it as a strategic reserve. Come peak oil we'll need all that coal to convert into oil.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They cost to much and China can offer it for cheaper what with their slave labour. Perhaps if there was a way to turn it into something valuable it would work, but no-one wants coal really and unless China pays their workers the same we'd pay ours we don't have a chance at restarting that industry. It was dying when Thatcher closed them, hence why she closed them.
TheLurveDoctor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
there's a reason why the government stopped its spending towards coal mines, you know.
they weren't making any money, or they were costing more money to fund than they were making overall
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why? We have fracking
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Nay'.

Too polluting and because of the cost of extraction in the UK (planning and labour laws) it's really not as cheap power as you'd think.

My energy mix in 2030 would be..

50% nuclear (Thorium)
25% Solar
15% Geothermal
10% Fossil fuels
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not yet. It makes far more sense to keep them shut for as long as possible. There WILL come a day when the UK's coal reserves become very valuable, but so long as we can still get it from other sources, let's keep doing that and keep these reserves for a 'rainy day'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (13)
7.1%
They've been reasonable (76)
41.53%
Not feeling great... (47)
25.68%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)
25.68%

Watched Threads

Latest