Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in year 12 and thinking of lancaster for a choice of doing economics.

Anyone doing it, what it like? and is the campus nice/ good facilities?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to go into my second year studying Econ 101 at Lancaster.

Have you studied Economics at A-level?

I found that the first year course is pretty much just your AS & A2 stuff but in a bit more detail with a bit more stuff covered.

If you haven't done Economics before you'll be doing Econ 102 which is a course designed for thar reason, to bring you up to the same level as the 101 students.

If Economics is your major you'll also have an applied economics module (103), which is basically like AS Statistics, with a bit of economics thrown in. It's pretty easy to pick up, especially if you've done Maths past GCSE.

The business school is pretty new, and the staff I've encountered so far have all been really helpful. My tutor for 101 even offered revision help outside of seminars.

ReputationRep:
    ECON 102 at Lancs was not, overall, a pleasant experience. Teaching was mediocre (especially in Lent), the recommended text was ridiculous, and it took a great deal of effort and initiative on my part to (a) learn economics and (b) get good marks (first overall). Personally, and given my first year experience of economics @ Lancs, I would seriously consider changing my major or trying someplace else, if I were an Econ major.

On the other hand, my tutor was great and very knowledgeable, lecturers could be approached with ease - even outside their office hours (by appointment) - but these facts alone are not enough to compensate for the bad teaching IMO. I hope, given that these views were expressed to the Econ faculty, that Econ 102 will be appropriately revised next year.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.