The Student Room Group

When did you feel you've matured and

what has caused you mature and change from being an immature child.

Im 18 at the moment and in the past year ive felt a lot more mature.
It makes me cringe to look back on how I used act.

Making the wrong decisions and realising my personality flaws has caused me to mature, hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I was always a mature and rather sensible child and teenager. Went through a bit of a rough patch from 17-19 though, looking back I cringe! I thought I was mature at the time and knew a lot about life, how wrong I was :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by 06gtaylo
what has caused you mature and change from being an immature child.

Im 18 at the moment and in the past year ive felt a lot more mature.
It makes me cringe to look back on how I used act.

Making the wrong decisions and realising my personality flaws has caused me to mature, hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cringing at how you use to act is one sign... but the real sign is what some call the mid 20s crises... you just finish uni, or college, and then you realize how real life is much tougher than it was when you were a student or/and living at home. Bills, rent, taxes and all that seem much more real than you are used to.

Rent and other stuff eat away at your bank account. Life is gonna get tough, kids.
It was never something to realise for me -- I grew up way too fast, and way too soon.

The only reason I can think to explain this is that I'm the youngest in my family, and my three siblings are all so much older than me -- I'm 19 and they're 26, 27 and 28 years old, and even they had to grow up fast because our parents were always so preoccupied with work that they didn't have the time to baby us. My eldest sister became a sort of surrogate mother for me when we were really young and I think this made her mature even faster, and because I've adopted so much of her personality over the years, I've become the v2.0 of her. Well, I've become a hybrid of all my siblings but if we're talking maturity then my eldest sister is the relevant sibling here because my brother and other sister learnt from her.

Also, another thing is that my siblings and I have always been really close and because I've always been a bit of a loner/introvert, my friends were never important to me as I preferred to hang out with my siblings. When you spend so much of your impressionable childhood/teenage years with people who are 10 years older than you and act like they're 10-20 years older than they are, you quickly adopt their approaches to life and things.

I'm a strange one. Unlike my siblings, I'm an individualist and have a burning desire to learn and to understand. My siblings had a hold over me until I turned 16 or 17, and from then I started seeing them in a completely different, somewhat more negative light because I realised just how different out personalities are in that they're basically conformists and they prefer to stay ignorant over life and the universe, whereas all I want to do is understand it. Since then I've been left to myself and have relied on my ****ty life experiences to guide me and help me mature, though I can't help but wonder if there's still room for me to mature or I've mastered that skill because I seem to have started acting as a guide or a conscience for my siblings, amongst so many other people! :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Vixen47
It was never something to realise for me -- I grew up way too fast, and way too soon.

The only reason I can think to explain this is that I'm the youngest in my family, and my three siblings are all so much older than me -- I'm 19 and they're 26, 27 and 28 years old, and even they had to grow up fast because our parents were always so preoccupied with work that they didn't have the time to baby us. My eldest sister became a sort of surrogate mother for me when we were really young and I think this made her mature even faster, and because I've adopted so much of her personality over the years, I've become the v2.0 of her. Well, I've become a hybrid of all my siblings but if we're talking maturity then my eldest sister is the relevant sibling here because my brother and other sister learnt from her.

Also, another thing is that my siblings and I have always been really close and because I've always been a bit of a loner/introvert, my friends were never important to me as I preferred to hang out with my siblings. When you spend so much of your impressionable childhood/teenage years with people who are 10 years older than you and act like they're 10-20 years older than they are, you quickly adopt their approaches to life and things.

I'm a strange one. Unlike my siblings, I'm an individualist and have a burning desire to learn and to understand. My siblings had a hold over me until I turned 16 or 17, and from then I started seeing them in a completely different, somewhat more negative light because I realised just how different out personalities are in that they're basically conformists and they prefer to stay ignorant over life and the universe, whereas all I want to do is understand it. Since then I've been left to myself and have relied on my ****ty life experiences to guide me and help me mature, though I can't help but wonder if there's still room for me to mature or I've mastered that skill because I seem to have started acting as a guide or a conscience for my siblings, amongst so many other people! :redface:

My siblings are both 9/10 years older than me. And durimg some parts of my life my sister would look after me and I would say she is pretty mature.

To this I have to share a room with my brother, so I would say he has had a big influence on me and I have adopted a more mature way of thinking.

What really changed me is realising how ****ty some of my friends are, realising how ruthless the world of work is and not doing so well in my a-levels and having to take a gap year. This has caused me to learn more about myself and think for myself instead of conforming to others, especially my siblings, and its caused me to become less of a pushover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't matured at all, I'm still 100% a kid.
Reply 6
I'm 18 and it hasn't happened yet
I can be super immature but mature when it actually counts. I need to work on my temper :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 19 now and I think I've matured from when I was 17/18 back at college simply because I'm in my second job since leaving college and I've had to interact with people of all ages when working in a hospital unit or when dealing with customers.

Although I have younger siblings at home so I guess that's a different story sometimes :wink:
Reply 9
This will be quite universal, but when I got rejected, left, *cough* heartbroken (over and over) when I was in my mid-teens. It hardened my personality and outlook on life, people and relationships.

I questioned everything, and never accepted things for the way they were, I also learnt to never trust people's words, promises or anything they say. I'm about to graduate and become a lawyer, nature gave me my happy personality, the environment (& experiences) changed that and has made me the type of person I am today.
Reply 10
For me, definitely over the last two years or so. Exams made me work hard, I went to Kenya which was a life changing experience and got a job at the start of sixthform, which has taught much more about managing money, and so I paid for a trip to Morocco! All this has definitely made me more independent and I feel much more mature.

Hopefully my sister will grow up a bit when she does the same trip to Kenya in the summer because her attitude right now is horrific 😶

Quick Reply

Latest