The Student Room Group

i'm 18 and my bf is 41 so is it possible to have a success marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Hahaha, I think your BF needs to take a seat with Chris Hanson

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would be concerned he may be the kind of man who leaves his wife for a younger woman every 10 or 15 years or so.
Reply 22
Original post by ania_dancer
we are getting married next month and i just moved in with him, we are excellent together but people warn me against it sometimes :s-smilie:

I think one day you'll realise the problems of such an age gap.
Are your parents angry?
I seriously think that much commitment at 18 is a bad idea, from experience :tongue: and that's with someone my own age.
You sound like quite a young 18 from what you've posted on here (no offence) there are so many potential problems, please don't do it :tongue:
perfectly possible as long as you both love each other and are willing to put in work in the marriage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluemax
That's a fairly big age gap. Are you sure you want to get married at 18? Do you have any ambitions or dreams you would like to pursue? A lot of them won't be possible after you get married. You'll be pregnant before you know and wandering around with babies will pretty much take up so much of your time you'll be in tears. You're 18, you've your whole life ahead of you. You can go to university.

Any particular reason why you're jumping into marriage this early? From what I've seen a lot of people screw up their marriage when they marry at a fairly young age. I, personally, would want to mature a bit more before I decide to marry. I'm 22 now and I won't even think about it before 26

you do realise dreams and ambitions are perfectly achievable even after marriage/babies? and people don't necessarily have babies straight after the wedding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
The age gap is weird but I think a lot of people on here get hung up on having things in common, I had nothing in common with my last girlfriend but her personality traits made up for it and they are after all what makes a successful relationship. Op may well be interested in his life experiences.

On the marriage point its less likely your marriage will survive than average but most end in divorce anyway so as long as you bear that in mind you essentially have to ask yourself whether the opportunity costs are worth it. If so then good luck.
He'll be a burden in 20 years time plus you are at different stages of life no matter how mature you are...

This marriage sounds fishy
Possible yes but very improbable. It's very naive to prescribe to the idea that 'love conquers all' - you have to be pragmatic in this kind of situation. You've not developed fully as a person, people change the most from 18-25 whereas your fiance is already set in his ways. You can't guarantee in what way your personality and character will change and his inflexibility will frustrate you. At least if you're both a similar age you go through it together. When you're in your sexual prime, he will very likely be struggling in that department and as much as you tell yourself that won't be important it definitely is.

If you can honestly say you've considered the reality thoroughly and understand all the implications then go for it.
Reply 28
Absolutely ridiculous. You can't be serious? I don't care if you are as mature as vintage wine this relationship simply will not work in the long run.
Reply 29
Some of you really are the most awful people for the way you are behaving.

I would suggest that most of you are not speaking with any authority on a long term relationship or marriage.
Sugar-daddy?
Reply 31
How much money does he have?
Don't.
Original post by member841230
Not a good idea. Believe me, no normal 41 year-old would date (let alone propose to) someone who's 18. I don't mean to be judgemental, but it's in your best interests to steer clear of him.

This. OP, please don't do it. Not because I'm against the idea of marrying young, but because this guy is far too old for you and sounds like a bit of a creep. He'll die years before you and you'll be left on your own, probably as a single mother with kids. Is that what you really want?
Reply 34
Original post by Maid Marian
This. OP, please don't do it. Not because I'm against the idea of marrying young, but because this guy is far too old for you and sounds like a bit of a creep. He'll die years before you and you'll be left on your own, probably as a single mother with kids. Is that what you really want?

Just no.

I know intelligent, educated people in relationships and marriages with exactly this kind of age gap and are very happy and stable. It's prejudice of the worst kind to declare someone a creep on the basis of almost zero information - not to mention blatant ageism.

On the second point - have you even given this a second's thought? If he dies at age 70 (a bit young by modern standards), they would have had a 30 year marriage and any children would very likely be adults.
Original post by Clip
Just no.

I know intelligent, educated people in relationships and marriages with exactly this kind of age gap and are very happy and stable. It's prejudice of the worst kind to declare someone a creep on the basis of almost zero information - not to mention blatant ageism.

On the second point - have you even given this a second's thought? If he dies at age 70 (a bit young by modern standards), they would have had a 30 year marriage and any children would very likely be adults.

:unimpressed:
Just yes. :eviltongue:

And what if they split up before he dies? She'll be left on her own! Sure, her kids might be grown ups, but ...
It's not ageism, if I saw a middle aged bloke with a young female out and about ... let's be honest, that's a bit :lolwut: I know age is just a number, but young women are impressionable and he could be taking advantage of her ...
Reply 36
Have you done an OIL check, OP?

Is he Old, Ill, and Loaded? :awesome:
Reply 37
Original post by theoferdinand
i would disown you if you were my daughter . And i cant even say what i would do to him on this sort of forum

seems unfair :angry:

Original post by GeoMash
Don't listen to what people say.

If you want to do it, then do it, the only people's business it is is yours and his :smile:

i had problems with 2 boys my age and no problems with my bf now :smile:

Original post by 2ndClass
It just reaffirms the fact that men in their 40s can easily bag girls in their early 20s. That's not too bad considering I'll reach that age someday. Fair play to him I suppose.

his wife (deceased) was his age so he didn't go after other early20s :rolleyes:

okay :redface:

Original post by stargirl63
Is there any reason why he hasn't been able to date someone his own age....or generation?

his wife died and i met him after that at tennis :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Maid Marian
:unimpressed:
Just yes. :eviltongue:

And what if they split up before he dies? She'll be left on her own! Sure, her kids might be grown ups, but ...

That's just as likely, if not moreso if they're the same age.

It's not ageism, if I saw a middle aged bloke with a young female out and about ... let's be honest, that's a bit :lolwut: I know age is just a number, but young women are impressionable and he could be taking advantage of her ...

All you get on TSR is a constant mantra of how liberated and independent young women are - except that they apparently turn into morons as soon as an older man turns up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending