IGCSE English Language Exam(First Language) Help Needed!

Watch this thread
koiby
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'll be taking my IGCSE exams during the may/june 2014 season.
Currently I'm doing quite well but I'm struggling with the English Language Paper. Our school has held 2 mocks of this paper and I've come out with a C grade both times, only improving by one mark. I'm a relatively competent English Speaker, and I believe I can express myself well enough.

However, getting 2 C's is quite discouraging as I am aiming for an A/A* grade in this paper. I'm more of a mathematics/sciences person, and cannot figure out how to improve my grade here. The subjective nature of these exams really makes it difficult for me understand, in a set of logical steps, what I need to do in order to improve.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.
Mo98
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hey, funny enough I'm taking the IGCSE English language Exam as well, we done a mock in December and in the first paper I got a B and second an A*, are real exam is in January. All you need to do to get A/A* in these papers is in paper 1 learn all the language devices and infer and paper 2 is just on inferences. So if you improve in this criteria, I'm sure you will will have a pretty good chance in attaining and achieving A/A*s.
FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by koiby)
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'll be taking my IGCSE exams during the may/june 2014 season.
Currently I'm doing quite well but I'm struggling with the English Language Paper. Our school has held 2 mocks of this paper and I've come out with a C grade both times, only improving by one mark. I'm a relatively competent English Speaker, and I believe I can express myself well enough.

However, getting 2 C's is quite discouraging as I am aiming for an A/A* grade in this paper. I'm more of a mathematics/sciences person, and cannot figure out how to improve my grade here. The subjective nature of these exams really makes it difficult for me understand, in a set of logical steps, what I need to do in order to improve.
Any help/tips would be much appreciated.
I'm going through the exact problem, I'll be taking the IGCSE English language Exam on May/June.. and I'm also getting C's and I'm aiming for an A* too.. What I think we should do is to start reading more books and try analysing them I guess
Shibar
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
can anyone remember what was the question for june 2013 english lang anthology question as it is for my mock
lashi
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi Mo98, Where are you from?
lashi
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
it was about Explorer's daughterow does the writer show the conflict in her thoughts and feelings about hunting?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (63)
66.32%
No (25)
26.32%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.37%

Watched Threads