Will it be weird/crazy if I wear my school's sport uniform at home as normal clothes?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
bao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is it bad/weird/crazy that I like to wear my school's sport uniform at home instead of my normal clothes?

I'm a 15-year-old boy and I'm in Grade 10. I don't know why but since the 5th Grade, I've always liked to wear my school's sport uniform at home. I go to school early in the morning in my formal uniform and when I get home in the evening, or sometimes in the afternoon, I just tend to change into the sport uniform, not casual normal clothes. I wear it all day at home and even sleep in it (even weekends, during holiday and summer). I don't know why, I just feel comfortable when wearing it. And I have more than one or two sport uniforms so I don't have to worry about not having enough clothes, even if I have P.E on the next day. So basically I prefer sport uniforms as my home clothes. I only get changed into casual clothes when I go out with my friends/family, or when my family have guests at home, but still not when I go out nearby to buy something.

The thing is, much as I want to wear it other than at school, I don't want other people to see me in it 'cause I'm sure they'll think I'm crazy, weird and they won't feel comfortable seeing me wearing it (except my parents, they're cool with it and usually don't even notice that I'm wearing it). For example, when someone (a neighbour, a relative, a friend) rings the doorbell on a Sunday and I go answer the door (with my sport uniform on), it's very embarrassing and there'll be an awkward moment if they start to ask why I wear it on Sunday. Usually I'll say I have a school trip or Sunday classes which require uniforms, if it's a Sunday morning; but it'll be really difficult for me to make up a story if it's a Sunday night! I'm also stuck in the same situation when I Skype with my friends at night, or when I invite my friends over on weekends.

I know it's really weird, even I think it's weird. I many times decided to stop wearing sport uniforms and start wearing casual clothes like everybody else. Of course I didn't have to change clothes all the time when there were guests and could avoid all the awkward moments. But after some months I realised I didn't feel comfortable, and then switched back into "sport-uniform-mode". It's like I'm obsessed with it or something )

Most of you may say "Wear whatever you like, it's who you are" and stuff (I've been Googling ). What I wanna ask is: What's your opinion about it? Do you think it's werid and suggest that I should change? And is there anybody here who's like me? I know it's weird, but it's also comfortable. And I wanna be comfortable, but I don't wanna be weird...

P/S: I'm not the sporty type, in case anyone wonders
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
Um, wearing it to bed is a bit weird. I sometimes wear my old PE shorts around the house because it's comfy, but only because I've left school anyway.
Jophesxi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha, I think it's slightly odd because I couldn't wait to get out of my school stuff when I got home

However, I think you should wear it if you want to! If you feel comfortable and enjoy wearing then do so, don't force yourself into wearing something you don't want to just because someone may think it's 'weird'.

To be honest, if you find it comfortable, it's not very weird at all. Keep wearing it!

P.s. if someone comes to the door and asks you why you're wearing it, tell them you find the clothes more comfortable than your others!
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Out of interest, what will you do when you get older and leave school? Will you get to 30 and still be wearing school uniform?
It sounds like you're going through a lot of hassle (changing clothes, making excuses) on a daily basis just for this - if you stopped, your life would be so much simpler. However I don't know how uncomfortable you feel in normal clothes - don't sacrifice your happiness for it. I would say that if you want to stop, sooner is better, but there's no definite reason why you should.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bao)
Is it bad/weird/crazy that I like to wear my school's sport uniform at home instead of my normal clothes?

I'm a 15-year-old boy and I'm in Grade 10. I don't know why but since the 5th Grade, I've always liked to wear my school's sport uniform at home. I go to school early in the morning in my formal uniform and when I get home in the evening, or sometimes in the afternoon, I just tend to change into the sport uniform, not casual normal clothes. I wear it all day at home and even sleep in it (even weekends, during holiday and summer). I don't know why, I just feel comfortable when wearing it. And I have more than one or two sport uniforms so I don't have to worry about not having enough clothes, even if I have P.E on the next day. So basically I prefer sport uniforms as my home clothes. I only get changed into casual clothes when I go out with my friends/family, or when my family have guests at home, but still not when I go out nearby to buy something.

The thing is, much as I want to wear it other than at school, I don't want other people to see me in it 'cause I'm sure they'll think I'm crazy, weird and they won't feel comfortable seeing me wearing it (except my parents, they're cool with it and usually don't even notice that I'm wearing it). For example, when someone (a neighbour, a relative, a friend) rings the doorbell on a Sunday and I go answer the door (with my sport uniform on), it's very embarrassing and there'll be an awkward moment if they start to ask why I wear it on Sunday. Usually I'll say I have a school trip or Sunday classes which require uniforms, if it's a Sunday morning; but it'll be really difficult for me to make up a story if it's a Sunday night! I'm also stuck in the same situation when I Skype with my friends at night, or when I invite my friends over on weekends.

I know it's really weird, even I think it's weird. I many times decided to stop wearing sport uniforms and start wearing casual clothes like everybody else. Of course I didn't have to change clothes all the time when there were guests and could avoid all the awkward moments. But after some months I realised I didn't feel comfortable, and then switched back into "sport-uniform-mode". It's like I'm obsessed with it or something )

Most of you may say "Wear whatever you like, it's who you are" and stuff (I've been Googling ). What I wanna ask is: What's your opinion about it? Do you think it's werid and suggest that I should change? And is there anybody here who's like me? I know it's weird, but it's also comfortable. And I wanna be comfortable, but I don't wanna be weird...

Why do you care? It's not like you're changing into a Burka when you get home
markharris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it looks odd, as we have set the tradition that uniform is just for school and we can not wear it as normal
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bao)

What is it that you like about it? If you want to be comfortable could you buy similar clothes just in a different colour (also what is your sports uniform?) Is it just your PE kit or do you think it's all sports kit? There is a style where you wear athletic loath as casual at home clothes do you think that it could just be your style.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Old thread!!!
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Old thread!!!
Damn I keedoing that it's the links at the bottom of the page they really mess me up.
chrisharrison
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This is really normal as one of my cousins used to wear his sports uniform over weekends and could sleep with it. However, if you think changing schools can make you weird don’t have thoughts like these. As you said you feel comfortable and you can do DIY with sports clothes like changing colour or adding some thoughts.
_nitin_thilak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i am just like you i have too felt it a bit weird but now all time i am wearing the same dress
MajorEvergarden
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bao)

totally not weird at all. i wear my uniform until bedtime but i don't sleep in it as i wear my formal uniform (slacks, shirt tucked in, tie done up). i wear my uniform in lockdown too from morning to 5pm just to concentrate on online studies and revisions it really helps me keep myself concentrated.
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know this thread is seven years old but god damn would I love to know if OP is wearing their sports kit to this very day. OP, come back and tell us how your story arc developed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads