The Student Room Group

Fp1-3 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Khallil
Doing FP3 this year after a serious under-performance last year.

Anyone got any hard reduction formulae questions? (Any exam board is fine)

What did you get in fp3 last year?

Are you retaking year 13?
Original post by Vorsah
What did you get in fp3 last year?

Are you retaking year 13?

To quote a great man, "I get beh"

I'm not attending a school. I'm working at the moment. However, I am redoing FP3 and one of my final physics exams alongside STEP.

I'm guessing you're in year 13 right now. In which case, which maths exams are you taking this year alongside FP2?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Sitting all 3 this year.

Did FP1 last year in about a month (self-taught) got 74UMS :frown:

Done the first 3 chapters of FP3, moving onto Matrices tommorow!

Will start FP2 after I do Matrices. I'll have to leave out integration & vectors from FP3 and the differential equations from FP2 until after we complete C4 in class.

I'm self-teaching, books only :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm self-teaching, books only :redface:

Is there any other way? :sexface:
Reply 24
Original post by Khallil
Is there any other way? :sexface:

Hahaha I have absolutely no classes and my stupid college wouldn't let me onto the support programme :frown:

I taught myself the majority of M2 last year but didn't sit the exam because of the stupid C3 trig & differentiation that occasionally pops up in the kinematics part. So I'll have to sit that too.

Teaching myself M3 this year aswell! 3/5 chapters require C4 integration though, but thankfully I've covered most of the concepts in Physics already. It's just that the exercises are bloody long in the Mechanics books.

Oh boy :biggrin:

EDIT: I absolutely HATE numerical methods in FP1. Stupid triangle drawing nonsense :facepalm: is there an easier and less annoying method to doing it that still gains the marks?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Doing FP2 and 3 this year - what's FP3 like, for those that have done/started it?

I saw "reduction formula" mentioned on the last page, googled it and the Wiki page that came up seems ridiculously hard to understand. Am I doomed?
Original post by Mike_Ross
Doing FP2 and 3 this year - what's FP3 like, for those that have done/started it?

I saw "reduction formula" mentioned on the last page, googled it and the Wiki page that came up seems ridiculously hard to understand. Am I doomed?

Yea.

Reply 27

The first 3 chapters are quite alright, just a few more graphs to learn and dealing with rearranging exponentials -__-

The integration chapter looks messy but it looks like we get a load of help in the formula booklet!

The vectors looks a bit tough but if you have decent spatial awareness and an understanding of vectors. I ASSUME it won't be much of a hassle.

3x3 matrices take forever though if you don't have a calculator that can solve them :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by TheBBQ
The first 3 chapters are quite alright, just a few more graphs to learn and dealing with rearranging exponentials -__-

The integration chapter looks messy but it looks like we get a load of help in the formula booklet!

The vectors looks a bit tough but if you have decent spatial awareness and an understanding of vectors. I ASSUME it won't be much of a hassle.

3x3 matrices take forever though if you don't have a calculator that can solve them :biggrin:

Okay, algebra is good fun anyway and I have a matrix calc so not too worried about that, but what do you mean by needing spatial awareness, like visualising vectors in 3D space?
Reply 29
Okay, algebra is good fun anyway and I have a matrix calc so not too worried about that, but what do you mean by needing spatial awareness, like visualising vectors in 3D space?

Yeah, I think it helps rather than having to draw every little thing out :tongue:
Original post by Khallil
Doing FP3 this year after a serious under-performance last year.

Anyone got any hard reduction formulae questions? (Any exam board is fine)

I know Felix is no longer doing maths but he might have something.
Reply 31
Original post by Khallil
To quote a great man, "I get beh"

I'm not attending a school. I'm working at the moment. However, I am redoing FP3 and one of my final physics exams alongside STEP.

I'm guessing you're in year 13 right now. In which case, which maths exams are you taking this year alongside FP2?

C3
C4
S2
S3 or M3
M2
FP1
FP2

I might self teach FP3 in the half term holidays in February, to help me with the other modules, but I wont do the exam.

Also can integration in FP3 help with C4 integration (edexcel)?
And can the vectors in FP3 help with C4 vectors?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah
C3
C4
S2
S3 or M3
M2
FP1
FP2

I might self teach FP3 in the half term holidays in February, to help me with the other modules, but I wont do the exam.

Also can integration in FP3 help with C4 integration (edexcel)?
And can the vectors in FP3 help with C4 vectors?

the C4 Vectors are pretty doable to be honest, and the only Vectors ive done otherwise are the vectors in M1. done Matrices in FP1 too, but i doubt you would need FP3 Vectors for C4 vectors - although probs can't hurt haha
Reply 33
At my school we've finished FP1 and FP2, and we're on the second chapter of FP3. FP1 is pretty simple, I was told FP2 was meant to be the hardest of the three, but it didn't seem that way, it's just quite a lot to learn. FP3 hasn't proven to be too much trouble yet, but of course we've only covered the easiest topic in the book.
Reply 34
Original post by oyyoyy
At my school we've finished FP1 and FP2, and we're on the second chapter of FP3. FP1 is pretty simple, I was told FP2 was meant to be the hardest of the three, but it didn't seem that way, it's just quite a lot to learn. FP3 hasn't proven to be too much trouble yet, but of course we've only covered the easiest topic in the book.

This is good to hear. What would you say is the hardest chapter in FP2? I'm hoping you say complex numbers lol
This is good to hear. What would you say is the hardest chapter in FP2? I'm hoping you say complex numbers lol

Polar coordinates. No joke. They throw out questions that make wanna :puke:
Reply 36
I'm sitting all 3 in June, self teaching all of them too. All I need is an A for FM though so I'm semi-confident.
Reply 37
Original post by Khallil
Polar coordinates. No joke. They throw out questions that make wanna :puke:

Oh god :frown:
Reply 38

I would have to say a bit of polar coordinates, since it took me ages to get the hang of drawing graphs with petals and integrating areas between curves got kinda confusing if you didn't sketch them out, and also a bit of complex numbers, transforming x+iy into the u+iv plane was probably the hardest part of that chapter for me
Reply 39
What are edexcel doing with the exam dates btw??

M3 is the on same day as C1 and more than a whole month before M2. It comes first out all the Mechanics modules

FP2 is before FP1 :confused:

D2/S2 are the absolute last exams for the Maths modules..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending