The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is rape 100% the perpetrators fault? Are they to be blamed entirely?

[redacted]
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Always the rapist's fault, but the victim has to take some responsibility in ensuring that they avoid the risk of being attacked as much as possible. Needless to say, a lot of the time, this won't work.

So for your examples, you can't blame either one of the victims. But you could say that one showed a lot more responsibility than the other and so was much more unlucky to become a victim.
Reply 2
Violently forcing oneself onto another person is blatantly inexcusable under any circumstance.
Victims can certainly make themselves more vulnerable, but the *first* immoral act is committed by the rapist when s/he puts his hands on a wo/man. To exonerate the rapist in the slightest demolishes the foundation of personal responsibility every sane and stable person bases their morality upon.
Reply 4
No, rape apologia is not to be accepted.
Reply 5
Reply 6
They are equally not at moral fault. Leaving valuables in a visible place is unwise, but it is not incriminating.
As someone who's been the victim of sober sexual abuse, I can say that I see a difference between that and drunken sex.
But my sympathies are with rape victims.
Reply 8
I'm sick of seeing the same uncritical suggestion that rapists (of whatever kind, the not understanding the concept of consent kind or the attack down a dark alley kind) go 'shopping' for victims the same way that burglars go shopping for their targets.
Nothing the victim does releases any level of blame from a perpetrator.

You can argue clothes, drink, drug or whatever increase your likelihood of being a victim, regardless as a perpetrator you're still just as much to blame for your actions.
The rapist is always 100% responsible.

But the world is not black and white. Each case of rape has its own little story. Sometimes things could have been done by the victim to make her/himself less vulnerable. Sometimes the victim behaved without any regard for their own safety until it was too late.

But always, it is the rapist who commits the act. As such, responsibility lies soley with them.
It's not really a case of X amount of blame being shared between the two. I would say that in the above scenario (so ignoring for now more intricate cases of partial consent / consent withdrawal / emotional manipulation within families) that, independently:

1. The rapist (assuming not mentally ill) is 100% responsible for their own actions. Nothing about the way the victim dresses redeems them in any way, because most people are capable of seeing the opposite gender without losing their mind. Drunkenness should be treated as it is with any other crime - awareness of the fact they may have not done it whilst sober, but full blame given for getting drunk in the first place.

2. The victim has the same status as someone who does or doesn't walk into a lion's den covered in raw steak. If they took precautions then they are unlucky, but if they dressed very provocatively and walked alone in an unlit notorious area then they were irresponsible and should have expected it - idealism won't make the world perfect - but are still the victim. Things like dressing provocatively, but in a 'safe' environment such as a friend's house come somewhere between the two.

3. If the victim is a child or severely mentally handicapped then the above clearly doesn't apply - they are always 100% the victim, though their parent / carer should stop them getting into situations where they are vulnerable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Personally I think that the perpetrator is to blame 90% of the time entirely.

The exception I grant where blame could be shared is when intercourse is already achieved, In the heat of the moment if a girl suddenly changes her mind I could understand how some guys may just carry on (never happened to me).

I don't buy the clothes or possessions in a window argument. To use an analogy if I hand you a gun, your still the murderer for pulling the trigger. Naivety Is not a crime.
Yes, definitely.

However, that isn't to say the victim can't make themselves less vulnerable.
Reply 14
Yes, but why do so many people presume to know what a rapist is looking for when picking a victim? Why is the presumption tits and ass? Why not vulnerability? Why not likeness to an overbearing and much-hated maternal figure from their childhood whom they wish revenge upon? Why the assumption that rape is about looking at a woman's body rather than exerting dominance and power? Obviously I'm focusing on the dark alley kind of rape here.
Reply 15
No blame rests on the victim whatsoever, nothing gives you an excuse to rape and even if she is wandering around stark naked she in no way deserves to be raped.

of course that doesn't mean women shouldn't take precautions and be sensible, but it is certainly not their fault.
Reply 16
Is this actually a thread
Yes, always.
Humans aren't animals and just because someone wears something "provocative" or acts in certain way doesn't give other person right to force themselves against someone's wishes.
Even if the victim is walking naked on the street, that does not somehow lift guilt from the rapist.
Reply 18
No.

No.

No.

No.

The guy who raped is the only one at fault.

Not the girl who is free to dress how she wants.

Not the girl who had no alternative but to walk home alone (where she should be safe to do so anyway.)

Not the girl who has had something to drink.

Rape is 100% the fault of the sick **** who raped her. It's not about avoiding attack and being at fault if you don't effectively do so (so another girl winds up being raped, because it will happen), it's about not raping.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Any criminal act is entirely the fault of those who commit it, assuming they are the only one who conspired to commit it, no mental problems, etc.

That's not to say you can't reduce or minimize the risk of being raped, of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending