The I-soc (Islamic Society) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Orite, both of you got it correct.
    Rep on the way. Wait for it.

ReputationRep:
    so did u recieve your rep?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I can see what your meant to do though - fall in to the trap of forgetting the F's in "of" but I knew it was a brainteaser so went back :P:

ReputationRep:
    Morsey, I take time in giving out reps.
    You'll get some too.
    Be patient.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    so any topic anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    Orite, both of you got it correct.
    Rep on the way. Wait for it.
    lol Jazakhallah bro

ReputationRep:
    Guys, go here:

http://www.fromisraeltolebanon.info
    I knew i saw taleban in tha post, just had a spelling error

ReputationRep:
    So who's got a topic!

ReputationRep:
    Is it specifically haraam to celebrate ones birthday?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's specific, i'm no scholar, but from my knowledge the sahabah never did, so my personal belief is to abstain from it, but I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone here...just saying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_one)
    Is it specifically haraam to celebrate ones birthday?
    nice question

What I am sure about is that having a birthday party is haram.. but just to celebrate there is a little dispute about it.. .becuase some ppl say: it's just a time of family gathering and having a great time with family and friends.. why ruin it?

But on the other hand.. Some scholars say that there should be only 2 occasions to celebrate as the Prophet Muhammad (saw) did.. .Eid Al-Adha and Eid Al-Fitr

and im no scholar... allah know's best

My opinion: Just keep regular outings and great times with family so that there could be no need to have a birthday celebration.

Mothers' day also come here.. and many other celebrations... many ppl just say: It's an opportunity for me to enhance my relationship with my mother... but again i say .... if u regularly make your mother happy... and make every month or week as beautiful as a mothers' day for her.... why shud there be a need for celebrating mother's day

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix CG)
    Not sure if it's specific, i'm no scholar, but from my knowledge the sahabah never did, so my personal belief is to abstain from it, but I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone here...just saying..
    Yeh I don't either but theres a lot of controversy over it.

Does anyone know if its considered gambling if you enter a competition but their is say a postage fee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o0MorseyMan0o)
    nice question

What I am sure about is that having a birthday party is haram.. but just to celebrate there is a little dispute about it.. .becuase some ppl say: it's just a time of family gathering and having a great time with family and friends.. why ruin it?

But on the other hand.. Some scholars say that there should be only 2 occasions to celebrate as the Prophet Muhammad (saw) did.. .Eid Al-Adha and Eid Al-Fitr
    Yeh, I've also heard that a birthday is not a time of joy as your 1year older, but is that an Islamic argument? Jazakhallah for that bro.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If you win money of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_one)
    Yeh I don't either but theres a lot of controversy over it.

Does anyone know if its considered gambling if you enter a competition but their is say a postage fee?
    Not sure.
    I think the whole philosophy against gambling is that it's supposed to involve winning/ losing money through a game of chance. Not sure how postage infringes that...

EDIT: Are you winning money for it?

ReputationRep:
    Well even if you enter for free, and do not bet any money of your own, the money you end up winning is considered Haram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Green Manalishi)
    Not sure.
    I think the whole philosophy against gambling is that it's supposed to involve winning/ losing money through a game of chance. Not sure how postage infringes that...

EDIT: Are you winning money for it?

Nah I'm just wondering out of interest because I remember my mum used to do little puzzles in magasines and then send the form back to win prizes potentially - and a thought just came to me that perhaps this is gambling, because of the postage fee.

ReputationRep:
    Well even if you enter for free, and do not bet any money of your own, the money you end up winning is considered Haram.
    how? I thought its haram if you actually gamble the money but its not gambling if you enter for free surely?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.