Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    Just put up with it for a bit longer, and once your in halls just do what you like. Sounds like their morphed Islamic beliefs are really restricting you. Once you get to uni you can do what you want, and that doesn’t mean sinning, as I'm sure you know what is morally right and morally wrong.

How old are you? If your 18 they cant do anything to you, you’re an adult. If they blame you for causing friction within the family, it’s their fault, not yours. Then again, you might not get anywhere being so stubborn – just repeatedly nag at them about your beliefs, my mum and dad rarely take notice of my concerns unless I ***** and whine for a bit. Just look at me on this forum, I finally got Morsey to admit non-religious people have morals through constant *****ing!

To Morsey, I wasn’t expecting such a light let off! I disagree; most of my friends are not remotely religious but have personal integrity. Just because it’s not technically illegal/they won’t get caught doesn’t mean they will invariably do it. Perhaps you should have a higher estimation of the morals of non-religious people.
    no, im not going to the halls, and you don't understand i can't just walk out the house and go anywhere i want, i have to ask them. im scared of them honestly, something they effectively managed to screw into my head from a young age, especially my dad he has such a short temper angers easy, well he used to at my mum, at me, he's kinda changed now, but i still dont like him feel awkward around him.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer my old and most favourite 'Pride and Prejudice'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milli)
    Isn't that you and Sketchy's favourite book? :p:

I've never heard of it.
    How do you know?!

Yeah it is.. I recommended it to her and she loves it too You should try it out, I've read alot of books but nothing even comes close to this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Wind-.../dp/0753819317

Oh and, for anyones who's offering, I wouldn't mind the illustrated edition for my birthday :p: #hippie#

ReputationRep:
    That sucks man. Is it because of your apparent obligations to Islam that you are so oppressed? Surely you could try to get to them to see the logic in you needing to grow up and rely on your faith to stop you from falling by the way side, and that they don’t need to be there all the time to prevent this from happening. Could you speak to your local youth worker/mosque dude? NSPCC?

I guess doing the things most western teenagers would do doesn’t apply to you, and I can’t really give you advice because I don’t know what Muslim family expectations are like. I doubt that other Muslims in this forum are going to give you any advice other than 'pray to Allah' and 'respect your parents'. Doing this doesn’t invariably solve problems. All I could say is ***** and moan. You should have picked a university away from home, but I suppose your parents wouldn’t have let you.

ReputationRep:
    no they wouldn't have...they made sure i was going to cardiff who offered ABB althought i obtained AAA and i could have got into a better uni.

they say i should be thankful to have gone to 6th form and going to uni, because they could have taken me to bangladesh and left me there after gcse.

thing is i don't really have much faith. but i have good morals i mean like in islam...not flirting with boys or havin a bf, or any sexual relationships, i would not do, unless i actually 'fell in love' i'd have to think about things then.

and yea it is because of religion mixed with culture, but mostly religion they use as an excuse because they know if they say its just the way its always been(as in cultrally) then i would fight that i'd say someone needs to take first steps to change etc, and they know i cant do that with religion because its al mighty unquestionable religion.

its funny in a way, so depressing man.

ReputationRep:
    Thats disgraceful, you could have applied to Oxford and everything. Well, i hope people relaise this is the supposedly 'Liberal and all knowlegable Islam' in action. When are you allowed to move out, when you get married?

ReputationRep:
    Thats disgraceful, you could have applied to Oxford and everything. Well, i hope people relaise this is the supposedly 'Liberal and all knowlegable Islam' in action. When are you allowed to move out, when you get married?
    ye, sometimes i feel so old, that lifes just passing in front of me and im not living it.

but u have to note the mixing of culture background of my parents with religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Green Manalishi)
    Today is the 15th of Shabaan?
    Well, actually, tonight is 15th Shaban, and we go to mosque tonight. But, it could be different for different people like the eid day may have been different. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    This has less to do with Islam, and more to do with culture.

I know plenty of religious Muslim girls who went everywhere. My friend's sister has just graduated with a 1st in classics from Cambridge. She is as religious as anyone.

ReputationRep:
    i think i better join the depression soc:p: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    How do you know?!

Yeah it is.. I recommended it to her and she loves it too You should try it out, I've read alot of books but nothing even comes close to this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Wind-.../dp/0753819317

Oh and, for anyones who's offering, I wouldn't mind the illustrated edition for my birthday :p: #hippie#
    You once mentioned it on ISOC

Yeah, i'll give it a shot and see if i like it.

ReputationRep:
    Can’t you take advantage of the fact you're 18 soon and just ditch them? They've got no right to control you after that age by British law, and you're living in Britain, so Islamic traditions haven’t got any say in it.

ReputationRep:
    i am 18, i don't really care anymore, just get my degree, get a job, get married to some random guy. then hopefully he's not a prick...ill do what i want, i mean i havn't lost it completly so i must quite strong emotionally, so i think i can manage another 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Will your marraige be arranged?

ReputationRep:
    yea..
    ahhh theres a huge bubblebee in here...omg it comming for my cake im scared....duno where it is now!!!
    ok moved the laptop now..

ReputationRep:
    That sucks man. Is it because of your apparent obligations to Islam that you are so oppressed? Surely you could try to get to them to see the logic in you needing to grow up and rely on your faith to stop you from falling by the way side, and that they don’t need to be there all the time to prevent this from happening. Could you speak to your local youth worker/mosque dude? NSPCC?

I guess doing the things most western teenagers would do doesn’t apply to you, and I can’t really give you advice because I don’t know what Muslim family expectations are like. I doubt that other Muslims in this forum are going to give you any advice other than 'pray to Allah' and 'respect your parents'. Doing this doesn’t invariably solve problems. All I could say is ***** and moan. You should have picked a university away from home, but I suppose your parents wouldn’t have let you.
    Well *****ing is no good advice :mad: it will just make things worse, especially in her case...

this: "I doubt that other Muslims in this forum are going to give you any advice other than 'pray to Allah' and 'respect your parents' " quite annoy me because it's not true :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ive battled and come to terms with arranged marriages, i don't mind...no guy would like me outta free will anyway lol:p:

man feel sorry for the guy that ends up with me, i can be really moany an very #blah#

ReputationRep:
    slamz

i very hapy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambition..)
    slamz

i very hapy
    Wa'alaykumu Salam

Glad to see you happy

ReputationRep:
    Pigs are biologically similar to humans
    Well then we must be descendants of pigs :rolleyes:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.