The I-soc (Islamic Society) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rafa
Badges: 1
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Poison Ivy)
I'm ok just real tired...got any plans for w/end?
Wanna do a bit of shopping, uni starts on Monday...what you doing this weekend?
Abbas6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Milli)
Since we're discussing Mahrams...i wanted to ask a question:

My college has invited me, along with 20 other future medical students to Cambridge next week. We will be participating in the lectures, speaking to Uni students and the Professors. I thought this would be a good experience for me and something to write about in my personal statement :p: The problem is.... the students will be staying there for 2 days and i'm not sure whether it would be Islamically appropriate for me to attend? Whatd'ya think?
Assalamu'alaykum

2 questions:

1) Are you able to take a mahram with you? Most probbaly not... but that doesn't and shouldn’t in my opinion mean you can't go!

2) Is this trip necessary? Yes it is, as it is something useful and beneficial.
Indeed it is perhaps even something essential, as, if I remember correctly, you aspire to study Medicine at an Oxbridge college, in which case such an experience would be absolutely invaluable!

I'm no scholar or anything, but for what it’s worth, here’s my two cents on this. Islam does not intend to cause hardship for it’s followers or make life difficult, the Prophet did after all say that "religion is easy". And the Qur'an instructs Muslims to strive to follow the commandments of Allah and the Prophet as best they can, except in matters of necessity. Now it could be argued if this trip is a matter of necessity (personally I would think it definitely is in which case...you should be able to go). And I mean you're an upright and sincere Muslimah and so I don't think you'd have any intentions of partying and dancing the nights away... at least I hope not :P
Poison Ivy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Wanna do a bit of shopping, uni starts on Monday...what you doing this weekend?
I'm gonna do some shopping too gotta find a good strong bag for my books!

Can't wait for uni to start coz hols dragging on now lol.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
I'm gonna do some shopping too gotta find a good strong bag for my books!

Can't wait for uni to start coz hols dragging on now lol.
Yeh true, just wanna get started
Poison Ivy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yup...gawd im soooooo tired lol.....
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dont be sorry love, if you've got problems feel free to share it with us and hopefully you'll get some helpful comments :hugs:
There is a difference between Islamic problems and love ones. I trust that you can differentiate the two.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
Yup...gawd im soooooo tired lol.....
:hugs:
Poison Ivy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Danke Rafy
Abbas6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by krib!)

Ohh looks like the muzzas are at it again, what an embarassment. Little children cant take insults, then insult back becoming what that hate. I don't know a stronger indicator that muslims hate the west and look for any excuse
Right, that part I agree with...

I do think that parts of the Muslim world have seriously over-reacted. Yes it is quite insulting, and yes, one has to question the intentions of the Pope, but when people in various places around the world in "retaliation" go around burning effigies of the man, and authorities in Pakistan are having to increase security around local churches, the question arises, if the Muslim world is indeed able to engage in dialogue and discussion. There is in my view some serious hypocrisy here, on both sides!

Ultimately, when people spread notions like that, it is down to ignorance. The only way misconceptions about the religion and it's teachings can be cleared up is if there is some serious discussion in a responsible manner. And rather than burn effigies of people and the like (because things like this in my view discredit any sort of protest) more respectable and civilised means of voicing protest and disagreement should be employed.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dimez)
There is a difference between Islamic problems and love ones. I trust that you can differentiate the two.
Wouldnt you rather help a sister on here as our advice is more Islamic rather than telling her to go and get advice elsewhere?
Milli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Abbas6)
Assalamu'alaykum

2 questions:

1) Are you able to take a mahram with you? Most probbaly not... but that doesn't and shouldn’t in my opinion mean you can't go!

2) Is this trip necessary? Yes it is, as it is something useful and beneficial.
Indeed it is perhaps even something essential, as, if I remember correctly, you aspire to study Medicine at an Oxbridge college, in which case such an experience would be absolutely invaluable!

I'm no scholar or anything, but for what it’s worth, here’s my two cents on this. Islam does not intend to cause hardship for it’s followers or make life difficult, the Prophet did after all say that "religion is easy". And the Qur'an instructs Muslims to strive to follow the commandments of Allah and the Prophet as best they can, except in matters of necessity. Now it could be argued if this trip is a matter of necessity (personally I would think it definitely is in which case...you should be able to go). And I mean you're an upright and sincere Muslimah and so I don't think you'd have any intentions of partying and dancing the nights away... at least I hope not :P
Wa alaikum Salaams. Glad to see you back

I would have loved to take my dad but due to his work he can’t go. I have no brothers who can take me either. I really think it’s an important and valuable experience and it would most definitely look good on my person statement. I just want to make sure it’s considered Islamic ally okay. I’ll find out more information on where we will be staying and who will be going. Inshallah I’ll make my decision before next week.

Oh and I’ll 'try' avoid Pubs and Clubs. :p: Only joking
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wouldnt you rather help a sister on here as our advice is more Islamic rather than telling her to go and get advice elsewhere?
No I wouldn't. Why would a help someone toward fitnah? She was asking whether or not that guy liked her, what Islamic relation does that have?
Her question was entirely inappropriate and didn't befit posting in the ISOC.

Why don't you PM her your suggestions/advice instead of flooding the ISOC?

Jazakallah.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
Danke Rafy
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dimez)
No I wouldn't. Why would a help someone toward fitnah? She was asking whether or not that guy liked her, what Islamic relation does that have?
Her question was entirely inappropriate and didn't befit posting in the ISOC.

Why don't you PM her your suggestions/advice instead of flooding the ISOC?

Jazakallah.
Wa Iyyakum
Bluefairy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
gosh i said im sorry you coulda left it at that.

whats fitnah?
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .S.O.S.)
gosh i said im sorry you coulda left it at that.

whats fitnah?
Trial,Testing.

Never mind him by the way
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Milli's married?:confused:
OMG!

:getmecoat

:bawling:

Salaamz ppl! :wavey:
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't blame me, blame laika.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitnah
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Weird and Wonderful)
OMG!

:getmecoat

:bawling:

Salaamz ppl! :wavey:
:hello:
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Trial,Testing.

Never mind him by the way
Haha, you're saying that as if I was in the wrong!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (114)
26.27%
No (320)
73.73%

Watched Threads