The Student Room Group
Totenkopf
And what do you disagree with?
Everything.
Milli
A friend of my mums who just recently came from Saudi told us of some of her own behaviours that would seem entirely appropriate to most of us -- such as walking across the street to her sister-in-law's home -- that were scandalous for a woman to do in Saudi Arabia.

For a woman to be seen driving in a car across the street, for a woman to appear in public, for a woman to refuse to wear black abaya would label her as immodest.

Also, I’ve noticed quite alot of men stare at Muslim women in Saudi...which is not only uncomfortable but also un Islamic.

So yeah, love medina/mekkah...but wouldn't consider living in the country.

It's not particularly fun living there if you're a female who's not used to that culture.
Milli
A friend of my mums who just recently came from Saudi told us of some of her own behaviours that would seem entirely appropriate to most of us -- such as walking across the street to her sister-in-law's home -- that were scandalous for a woman to do in Saudi Arabia.

For a woman to be seen driving in a car across the street, for a woman to appear in public, for a woman to refuse to wear black abaya would label her as immodest.

I didn't think women were allowed to drive there, and i thought the black abayah was compulsory actually, didn't know they were optional!

Also, I’ve noticed quite alot of men stare at Muslim women in Saudi...which is not only uncomfortable but also un Islamic.

And how would you know that if you haven't been there?
Reply 17003
Totenkopf
It's not particularly fun living there if you're a female who's not used to that culture.

I'd be definitely going there for Umrah and Hajj inshallah.
Totenkopf
And what do you disagree with?

Calling them extremists :p: There's things i definitely agree with :smile:
Totenkopf
An extremist.

(Why do I have the feeling some will disagree with me?)

*cough* ….You're good.

Assalaamu Alaikum all….miss me? Why am I asking, of course you did. How can you not? :p:

Wahaabis aren't extremists. They such as yourself, follow what they believe is the correct and aren't easily deterred with what is said about them. What you consider 'extreme' others might not. The Wahaabi teachings themselves are still being interpreted in different ways, and seeing as it's not 'sacred', it can be twisted and changed by anyone to suit they're own needs, and to the public still qualify as Wahaabis.

You ask non-Muslims not to judge Islam by the actions of some Muslims, I suggest you don't judge Wahabism by the actions of some Wahaabis.
Walaikum Salam Muhiba :biggrin: how you been?
The Green Manalishi
Calling them extremists :p: There's things i disagree with, and things i definitely agree with :smile:

I'm sorry but I couldn't think of any other word that would explain it roughly and didn't take ages to write.
:redface:
Totenkopf
I'm sorry but I couldn't think of any other word that would explain it roughly and didn't take ages to write.
:redface:

No worries, i've just editted my post. I don't know so much about Wahabism to disagree with anything.

:smile:
Reply 17009
The Green Manalishi
I didn't think women were allowed to drive there, and i thought the black abayah was compulsory actually, didn't know they were optional!

As far as I know they are.

The Green Manalishi

And how would you know that if you haven't been there?

I'd say I know 40 people who've gone to Saudi (more than once) and have commented on this.
Milli
As far as I know they are.

I'd say I know 40 people who've gone to Saudi (more than once) and have commented on this.

Fair enough. I was just thinking we shouldn't be too quick to judge but that's ok. Just a reminder... :smile:
The Green Manalishi
Fair enough. I was just thinking we shouldn't be too quick to judge but that's ok. Just a reminder... :smile:

That's why Western Muslim females like Milli prefer Malaysia, Canada and NZ :wink: (tho the two latter are exemptions)
Totenkopf
That's why Western Muslim females like Milli prefer Malaysia, Canada and NZ :wink:

Sure!
Reply 17013
Totenkopf
That's why Western Muslim females like Milli prefer Malaysia, Canada and NZ :wink: (tho the two latter are exemptions)

Not really. The main reason why I'd consider living in Canada is because I'm Canadian and New Zealand because I like the country :p:
Milli
because I like the country :p:

You just liked LoTR, admit it!:biggrin:
Originally Posted by Milli

So yeah, love medina/mekkah...but wouldn't consider living in the country.

You're expected to be with your Mahram, but not many women follow that and there isn't a problem. I went shopping alone numerous of times in Jeddah and Riyadh and no ones has ever said anything to me about being alone….cover my face, maybe, but never for being alone. Hell, I've left both Jeddah's and Riyadh's airports by myself and I have never been given any trouble.

Hehe….

Yes, some hormone driven, shameless men do tend to stare at women and it is sadly quite common nowadays. Which is why the abaya is compulsory. It is a strict Muslim country where you'll be judged according to the Sharia law. Most men might not 'do' anything, but the staring could lead to stalking, etc. Not to mention staring and inciting lust, in itself is sinful at the least. To protect the women from all of that, the abaya is compulsory, something I completely agree with in the case of Saudi Arabia.

I'm doing good alhamdullilah and yourself?

Guess who made Umrah on the night of the 25th and met her good friend Taqo for Suhoor? (Yes, after Tahjud prayers at about 3.30 am :p:).
Reply 17016
Totenkopf
You just liked LoTR, admit it!:biggrin:

Well....maybeeeee :cool:
As-Salam alikum all!
A Y Z
As-Salam alikum all!

Wa Alaikum Salaam bro :smile:
Ayaz is coming when I'm leaving. Bye everyone!

Latest