Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well it's certainly quiet in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzyh)
    The Quran does no have specific instructions for everyday life does it?

It does not mention TV but still tv is haraam.

I believe music/dance are haraam.

Dancing can keep you fit BUT so can exercise.

Tv...harram?
    surely not if you watch decent stuff on it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzyh)
    The Quran does no have specific instructions for everyday life does it?

It does not mention TV but still tv is haraam.

I believe music/dance are haraam.

Dancing can keep you fit BUT so can exercise.
    Television isn't haraam

The message of the music is haram. Does it encourage love, fornication, drugs? If yes then it's a sin.

People don't dance just to keep fit. I'm sure Islam doesn't say men and women should be walking zombies praying night and day, ignoring worldly activities that will not affect them in any possible way WHATSOEVER (dancing). Praying is good....so is enjoying your life now and again. I remember somewhere (cannot remember exactly...I’ll get back to you on this) it states that in Islam it is also recommended that one should make life easier for themselves in this life and the hereafter.

I've heard that other ways used to describe Islam was Al-Yusraa, or 'The Easy Way'. This is simply because Islam was, and is the natural way of life. In the Quran, Allah comforts us by continuously reassuring us that he desires for us ease not hardship.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has advised us: 'This Deen or way of life is easy but if anyone overdoes it, it gets the better of him. So keep to the right course, approximate to perfection, rejoice, and ask for help in the mornings, the evenings, and some of the latter part of the night.'

We should STOP making Islam so complex and difficult. It is some Muslims who practice Islam who often makes it difficult and then complexity overtakes him so that EVENTUALLY he is unable to cope with even the simplest of tasks. This is why we have some Muslim teenagers rebelling later on in life because of the pressure their parents put on them...''don't dance..no going out....no television....don't do this and that.''

Allah wants us to enjoy ourselves not only in the hereafter but also in this world. Allah tells us in the Quran to pray for both 'the good in this world and the good in the hereafter.'

Islam does not expect us to spend all our leisure time in the mosque or at home and should listen to nothing but recitation of the Quran, or for that matter, be engaged in exclusively 'religious' pursuits. Rather, it recognizes that we are human beings, so that, as we eat and drink, we also need to relax and enjoy our-selves. This is where dancing comes in.

Prophet once said: 'This Deen or way of life is easy. Make it easy, don't make it difficult. Let people rejoice in being Muslims and not run away from it.'

ReputationRep:
    nicely put

ReputationRep:
    nice name

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl, are we stil discussing dancing. With regards to keeping fit, yes exercise does keep you fit, but dancing is a form of exercise, which i enjoyed alot because it doesnt seem like exercise, which can get boring.

I agree with Milli, i believe it is the message that music portrays, same with television. It can influence thoughts and behaviours that are haram which is where the argument lies, in my opinion.

There are many islamic channels that we can watch, is it haram to watch them??

erm, hope everyone is well xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milli)
    Television isn't haraam

The message of the music is haram. Does it encourage love, fornication, drugs? If yes then it's a sin.

People don't dance just to keep fit. I'm sure Islam doesn't say men and women should be walking zombies praying night and day, ignoring worldly activities that will not affect them in any possible way WHATSOEVER (dancing). Praying is good....so is enjoying your life now and again. I remember somewhere (cannot remember exactly...I’ll get back to you on this) it states that in Islam it is also recommended that one should make life easier for themselves in this life and the hereafter.

I've heard that other ways used to describe Islam was Al-Yusraa, or 'The Easy Way'. This is simply because Islam was, and is the natural way of life. In the Quran, Allah comforts us by continuously reassuring us that he desires for us ease not hardship.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has advised us: 'This Deen or way of life is easy but if anyone overdoes it, it gets the better of him. So keep to the right course, approximate to perfection, rejoice, and ask for help in the mornings, the evenings, and some of the latter part of the night.'

We should STOP making Islam so complex and difficult. It is some Muslims who practice Islam who often makes it difficult and then complexity overtakes him so that EVENTUALLY he is unable to cope with even the simplest of tasks. This is why we have some Muslim teenagers rebelling later on in life because of the pressure their parents put on them...''don't dance..no going out....no television....don't do this and that.''

Allah wants us to enjoy ourselves not only in the hereafter but also in this world. Allah tells us in the Quran to pray for both 'the good in this world and the good in the hereafter.'

Islam does not expect us to spend all our leisure time in the mosque or at home and should listen to nothing but recitation of the Quran, or for that matter, be engaged in exclusively 'religious' pursuits. Rather, it recognizes that we are human beings, so that, as we eat and drink, we also need to relax and enjoy our-selves. This is where dancing comes in.

Prophet once said: 'This Deen or way of life is easy. Make it easy, don't make it difficult. Let people rejoice in being Muslims and not run away from it.'
    Not only the message, but the use of instruments in music which HAS been mentioned in the Quran and clarified by the hadeeth as forbidden.

The thing about T.V is that not only are some of the messages iffy, but there is also the issue of not so well dressed women and the like. The scholars who believe that T.V is haraam again pick on all the evils and fitnah it can spread….and naturally anything that can spread fitnah (which sadly T.V undoubtedly has the power to do) can be considered haraam.

I agree for the most part though. Taking to things too far does cause a lot kids to rebel and that can unbalance to either of the two extremes.
    The problem lies in what exactly can be considered 'taking too far'. There is no denying that there are certain things in our society nowadays that have become so embedded into our lives that weren't present in the time of the Prophet(saws) and to us (as teens and young adults) might seem unthinkable to live without.
    To quite a few people, living without music or T.V for example does not constitute to taking it too far…in fact it's perfectly normal.

I've done to reading on the dancing issue and to some extent I agree.

My honest opinion….
    Dancing, without music in an all women environment to some extent can be haraam.
    Say your mates and you are just fooling around and just start dancing in a foolish manner or just reminiscing some olden day songs(which is again an issue of it's own) or just fooling around to have some fun…I think that's acceptable.
    However, just dancing as in….I don't know how to explain in it…to have a dancing contest or whatever…than that might be unacceptable as it might allure some women that same way it can attract men. That would also be spreading the ultimate fitnah.

Mufti Ibrahim apparently isn't the only one that has that view…some of the major scholars (whom I trust) also agree.

ReputationRep:
    I have missed out most of the posts in this discussion but i think I got the idea inshallah.

Anyway all of this does bring to mind something i heard of a schollar once. He goes a nation can sink so low that the best they can do is wish for an uprise, and one day someone comes, with only the Quran and Sunnah in his mind. But its been too long since those days, no one knows what Quran and Sunnah are anymore. And then that person is out of place, he seems too extreme and to us he is just another person who wants to make our lives even worse.

The problem is that sins can become part of us, running in our blood and a turn into a daily routine. This can make the antidote seem like the drug!

The prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said that Islam will one day become as strange for people as it was when it started. Islam in its first stages was an irregular way of life for people, and I can confidently confirm it is so today. But he, peace and blessings be upon him, also confirmed that there will always be people standing firm and, holding to the book of God and his traditions with their hands and teeth. He referred to them as weirdos, for obvious reasons. He described them as people who revive his traditions after people have neglected them.

I just ask Allah that he makes us those people who revive their prophet's traditions, live by them and spread them.

I know this may seem very off topic right now, and it perhaps is since I didn't follow the whole discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Narrated Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him): Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) said, "The invocation of anyone of you is granted (by Allah) if he does not show impatience (by saying, 'I invoked Allah but my request has not been granted.')" [Sahih Bukhari]

ReputationRep:
    Who says Muslims can't have fun and still abide by their faith? Check this out! http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...+made+me+funny

DISCLAIMER: The first few seconds of the show contains some background music.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    For someone funny but good to watch, as he speaks about Deen, is Yusuf Estes - I really like some of his talks!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    As-Salam alikum all!

ReputationRep:
    Wa aleikuma salaam, your avatars just keep getting better, Ayaz.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is a quite day for the Islamic Society.

:tumble:

How about we celebrate my 700th post? I have much history with the number 7. We always done things together (i..e me being obsessed with doing things in 7s).

Still though, many things are associated with this number. I am sure we all have millions of examples. So lets focus on the real subject here, my 700th post.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the hadith in Bukhari:

"Narrated Abu Hurayrah (ra): Allah's Messenger (sas) said, 'None of you should say: 'O Allah, forgive me if You wish; O Allah, be Merciful to me if You wish,' but he should always appeal to Allah with determination, for nobody can force Allah to do something against His Will.'"

ReputationRep:
    Q: My question is regarding a common problem these days... please answer it in the light of hadith sunnah and the holy QURAN... what should we do if we know that a what my mother is asking me to do is wrong and may be against the wishes of Allah.. and explaining her anythig iz of no use because she has been doing the same before and her parents have told her to do the same thing... At this point whom should we choose? thank you!

Rights of parents
    In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, no dai, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 17 Surah Bani Israel verses 23-24: Your Lord has enjoined the following: You should not worship anyone but Him Alone! Treat your parents with great kindness; if either or both of them attain old age, do not even say ‘uff’ to them; nor rebuke them; but speak to them kind words. Treat them with humility and tenderness and pray, “O our Lord, be merciful to them, just as they brought me up with kindness and affection in my childhood.”

After the rights due to Allah Subhanah, in Islam the biggest rights in all mankind is due to our parents. And after the rights of parents, is the rights of our near relatives, far relatives, muslims, neighbors, etc. In Islam, the law is that one must give all the rights due to each, without effecting the rights of others.

For instance, one cannot take away the right due to our parents, and give them to our wives and children. Neither can he take away the rights of the wives and children and give them to his parents. There should be a proper balance, and a muslim, who indeed fears Allah and the Last Day, should give each party its rights without effecting the rights of the other.

Regarding the rights and obligations of our parents upon us, it is imperative and obligatory on every believer, who fears Allah and the Last Day, to treat and obey his parents in absolutely everything, except if they ask you to do something which is against the command of Allah and His Messenger (saws). Other than that, their word is basically a command for us! We are not allowed in any circumstance to groan, moan, growl, whimper or even say ‘uff’ to them! We have to obey them in every respect, as long as their command is not against Allah and His Messenger (saws). We have been enjoined by Allah Subhanah to be kind to them, be patient with them, be merciful to them, be obedient to them, and treat them with the utmost respect. So much so, that this right and obligation is termed ‘fard ain’(absolutely obligatory for every individual) in Islam. And ‘fard ain’ means, that no matter how old you are … 10-20-50-90… as along as one or both of your parents are alive, you have to be obedient to them! No one can do this on your behalf… you have the obligation to do it yourself! This is the high station and the elevated ‘maqaam’ of parents in Islam.

And Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

May Allah guide you and us all to the Straight Path of Islam.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your Brother in Islam,

Burhan

ReputationRep:
    ummmmm hello brothers and sisters in islam and anyone else too!!!
    i knew a burhan once he was very naughty he stopped believing in allah to look cool to his atheist friends. i hope this burhan is not the burhan i knew!!! that would be weird
    well
    tata

ReputationRep:
    hey, welcome sis

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.