Hody421
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am looking for the basic answers to Kantian Ethics, but I can't find them in the internet. Well, I just want to know the basic answers to these 'basic' questions.

1. What are the two BIG THINGS that Kant is trying to bring together in his philosophy?
2. What, according to him enables us to rise above our bodily desires?
3. According to Kant, we experience morality as conflict between two things. What are they?
4. What, according to Kant is the only completely, 100% good thing in the universe?
5. What was so new about Kantian Ethics which distinguishes it from the utilitarian views?

As you can see from the questions, I have bloody no clue of Kant, I know the more complex ideas but I can't answer these questions
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hody421)
I am looking for the basic answers to Kantian Ethics, but I can't find them in the internet. Well, I just want to know the basic answers to these 'basic' questions.

1. What are the two BIG THINGS that Kant is trying to bring together in his philosophy?
3. According to Kant, we experience morality as conflict between two things. What are they?
4. What, according to Kant is the only completely, 100% good thing in the universe?
5. What was so new about Kantian Ethics which distinguishes it from the utilitarian views?

As you can see from the questions, I have bloody no clue of Kant, I know the more complex ideas but I can't answer these questions
Are you sure that you've looked on the internet for Kant's ethics? He's like the most famous western philosopher in recent times. The last one especially should be simple to answer.
JJMS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in no way an authority on this subject, tbh I know little about it, but thought I might aswell help with what I can haha, be sure to fact check this, as far as I know it's all wrong haha

1. Kant's done a lot of Philosophy. His main focus within Ethics is on Deontology (Duty).
3. This could be something to do with his idea of real and apparant 'goods' (There's a lot about this all over the internet)
4.Not really sure haha, could be the Summum Bonum (again, there's a lot online)
5.The main difference between Kantian Ethics and Utilitarianism is their approaches towards the subject, with Utilitarianism being a teleological approach, and Kantian ethics being Deontilogical.
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a post-Enlightenment philosopher, Kant believed that our ability to reason is what sets us apart from animals. Therefore using reason in accordance with the categorical imperative is what enables the 'good will to shine forth like a precious jewel'. You could back this us with his quote 'Unless reason takes the reigns of government into it's own hands, desires and inclinations will play the master over the man'.
I would say that this is reason vs. desire.
The good will.
It is deontological as opposed to consequential, it focuses on the individual's actions rather than what's best for the majority.
Plato4President
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I read this book http://www.pushmepress.com/product/k...aw-coursebook/, I feel like somewhat of an expert!

Hahah, but seriously it really helped me
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is also quite good, I believe they have an app.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed