Private schools reduce socially mobility and do a good job of keeping the poor, poor

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I'd prefer to send my children to a state grammar myself but if that's not an option then i likely would send them to a private school subject to receiving a scholarship (though i plan to provide with tutors ect..).
It will depend on my personal circumstances then but I plan on sending them to a good state school. Who knows if one or the other will still be available by then?
Xphoenix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
I'd suggest that if one sort of school is getting better results, the answer is not to ban the one that's succeeding. Perhaps if we invited private schools to take over the running of academies and state schools, we might see more high quality education. All we'd need to do is fund scholarships to the good schools
You see, they should encourage private schools to help fund academies- i know of a school that does it, so why shouldn't the others?
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xphoenix)
You see, they should encourage private schools to help fund academies- i know of a school that does it, so why shouldn't the others?
If existing private schools could be encouraged to set up franchises or sponsor academies where they could use their methods and management, it'd be a pretty awesome setup. Their could be chains of Eton-run schools across the country, which would help kill the 'old-boys club' issues as well.
Xphoenix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
If existing private schools could be encouraged to set up franchises or sponsor academies where they could use their methods and management, it'd be a pretty awesome setup. Their could be chains of Eton-run schools across the country, which would help kill the 'old-boys club' issues as well.
It does happen, i remember seeing in the news about the Wellington Academy (from Wellington College), and they also have international schools abroad (i definitely remember that)
Boomde2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Any School is as good as its worse teacher. The schools with the best teachers should be country wide. Some of the teacher training out there is not good as it use to be. Teachers can't teach in their own way/style anymore. They have to follow a mould created by the government to teach in a certain way. So a really bright teacher is weighed down by bureaucacy, red tape, etc. So pupils who need a little more help get left behind, because the teacher has to keep to the timetable, ( does not have time to help the pupil struggling) and move onto the next module. Education needs to be re assessed as a whole, look what Covid has done to the education system over the last year, 2 years of no examinations, this can't be good, so the Government need to put back money they took away from Education, over the last 15 years and reinvest in the young again. They deserve a good education and deserve a future. 👍
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (479)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (367)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (459)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (154)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (198)
6.05%
Loneliness (280)
8.56%
Financial worries (114)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (295)
9.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.35%

Watched Threads